• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Saw boats out yesterday on Pleasant, Clearwater, Cedar, and Maple lakes. Anyone know if they were simply fishing, or catching?

I'm heading out tomorrow (Sunday) before the predicted cold front hits on Monday.

D-man -- I got late start--weather was already deteriorating. Rain came shortly after noon, with much too strong winds. A bust for me.

Ducks are scarce in the area (so what's new?) but there are a mess of nice mallards on the west end of Pleasant Lake -- their numbers are dwarfed by the honkers, but at least there's some quackers around.

I had expected the weather to hold thru Sunday, but at least we've had a record warm Nov. so far. Twin Cities broke record for 60+ degrees for 11 days, with previous record being 7. And, I watched one of our resident osprey do some more productive fishing. Life ain't all bad.

I get out several times a year on Clearwater ice, but I'm not an ice fanatic. I don't drill 30 holes and jump about from hole to hole -- I use a portable shelter and keep enough northerns to get some good pickling.

I will make a couple trips to Lake Michigan to fish brown trout thru the ice in Kenosha harbor. And, a trip or two to Mille Lacs for perch and walleye.

D-man -- I don't target them often anymore, but I guess I'd have to say you're right. I did enter BJs northern pike contest a year ago and finished in the money with a single fish of 26 inches. My son-in-law and I caught several, but all but one was under the minimum length (I think it was set at 24). In the 60s and 70s it was nothing to take several 6 to 9 pounders in a day, and the over 12 was not all that rare. BJ gets about 100 boats for his Sept pike contest, so there are still pike seekers here.

Hello Everyone,

I see some of you are still fishing Clearwater. I have done very well here this fall. I am fishing 10-15' on the outside/to the edge of the weedlines, using a 7' snell and a big fathead. The fish seemed to be consistently schooled. When you locate one, you will usually catch 2 to 3 more in the same spot. I have caught some in the 6 to 8 foot levels as well, but most of the action is a little deeper. One thing that works well is to hook the fathead thru the mouth when searching, and then go to a tail hooked presentation when you have located them. I will be out on the lake on Wednesday. If you see a black lund angler with a 4 stroke Yamaha, stop by a say hello.

Fathead --
Do you fish both sections, or stay pretty much in the upper or the lower half of the lake?

I'm most familiar with water on the upper (western) half, with the narrows being a favorite spot, as well as several places off and around Bungalow Island.

Clearwater is a tough lake to learn. As soon as you think you've got something figured, you see something else on the locator.

Good luck.

D-Man -- I didn't hear of anyone lost, so I assume Fathead didn't get out on Clearwater. I still might try one last outing if it isn't too blasted cold and windy. The wind has kept me off the last two times I was going to go.

Hello everyone,

I apologize for not responding sooner, but I have been out of the loop for the past week.

Clayton... I fish primarily the East lobe of the lake. I have not fished the western half as much, simply because I have found so many great spots on the east side. you're sure right about the time it takes to learn this lake inside and out. Tremendous structure to this baby. I love this lake, it is #2 on my list behind Mille Lacs.

About my last trip on 11/21. The weather was beautiful! 60 degrees, slight breeze, but the fishing was somewhat slow. I boated 4 17" fish (which have been my average size this season), and missed a couple more. It definetely was more of a challenge to locate them today, coupled with the fact that I had to work them real slow.

Unfortunately (at least in my opinion) now we have all this snow! Looks like we have to wait for ice.