• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

There's a pretty interesting article in the latest North American Fishing Club mag. SDSU did a study with trotlines and found the best bait for flatheads was........ yup bullheads. And the biggest ones came from the deepest holes over hard bottom. I guess they could've saved some money and just asked "the pro's" here.
There's also a short article on River Pro boats.

I would deffinatly agree that bullheads are a hot bait for flats,and most of my cats come from areas with hard bottom but not neccessarily in the hole but near them.I ususlly look for sections of the river with the deepest holes that have good cover(snags large rock boulders or rip rap)but target active fish in the relatively shallow water that surrounds them.An excellent area would be the tail out section of a deep hole if it contains some sort of cover over hard sand or gravel,or the break on a sand flat adjacent to the deep hole.

Fish4Brains, Welcome!

I know Backwater Eddy would not argue about using frogs! Catching the frogs can be an experience in itself too! Frogs produce alot of Catfish...both Channels and Flatheads.

For Flatheads, Bullheads work well and there are plenty of them in the Minnesota River. Its real easy to keep your bait alive when using them for sure! For the most part, I catch my own Catfish bait and I prefer Creek Chubs and Suckers over Bullheads.

I like some fresh cutbait for Channels although they will eat most any offering.

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Ok - I thought you couldn't use bullheads for bait either as well as carp.

can someone clear my confusion.

Also I prefer large creek chubs over suckers unless the chubs are spawning. When they spawn (early season) the females get the big horns/bumps on their heads. I have found that suckers outperforms chubs then.

Hey DARK - Where are you catching your chubs and how big are you catching? I am pretty loyal to Jim at the Rapidam Dam store for bait. He traps them himself and has some of the biggest and meanest bait around, not shell shocked like your normal bait shop. However, gotta warn ya, He is so well known for it that you have to be like me and get special treatment (has a special stash just for me) or you need to get there Friday or early Saturday before the MO boys come up for the weekend and take 12 dozen of the biggest bad boys.

------------------

I know Jim and his son Dave well enough for the treatment too. Theres some cats right down below the store!

------------------

well next time your at the store, check out the walls. Im on there somewhere wink.gif

------------------

I also catch my own bait, chubs and bullheads. I prefer chubs over bullheads for channels, but it's hard to beat a lively bullhead for thems big ole flatties. Cut up suckers as well as live ones work great too.Just my 2 cents.

Tony

I would venture to bet that a lot of catmen spend near as much time getting there bait as they do fishing for the cats.
Of course you can go to the bait shop but it can get kinda spendy.I think I am covered for cut bait for the first part of the year.All the bait left over from ice fishing has been frozen into handy little bags for my convienence.I'll let a few sit out for a day or two to get them sour for ice out.

I had to read the fishing regs a couple times, but there is nothing in it regarding using bullheads for bait. It only mentions using carp and gold fish was a no-no. Guess I found a new bait for next year smile.gif

Another alternative bait that seems to be hard to come by but effective is mudpuppies. (larvae stage of salamandars)

------------------

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 02-15-2003).]

I gave mud puppies a try last year and didn't catch a thing.Thats not to say they don't work cause I only tried two.If a guy could get a bunch and fish along side another guy using you run of the mill baits it would be interesting to see the outcome.I have talked to guys from other parts of the country who swear that they are the hot bait at certain times of the year.

Bullheads are considered minnows when under 7 inches. I have tried them but with limited luck. I prefer 8+ inch suckers for Flats

Do you cut the stickers down? I heard from someone that they would do that on bull heads.

As far as mudpuppies go. I think it is a hit and miss bait. And if your not catching them yourselves, they are a bit spendy at about 10+ per dozen and still tough to find even at bait stores. My best was to keep em off the bottom. I would place them straight over the edge of the boat with and egg sinker approximately 1-2 feet above the bait. This way they swim around a lot instead of hunkering down on the bottom. They can be pretty lethargic when they realize they cant escape, but if make them have to swim then its much better. My using them have been total experimentation so far so I only use them in tourneys and when I have a crew of 3 or more so we can use different bait and techniques to see what is working. However, when the puppies were producing, they didn't get as many bites as chubs, or even frogs, but the fish that did hit them were bigger. Actually had a walleye that I think was a 10+ on one but lost it at the boat. And that was at the rock hump at the first bend just up river from the belle-plain landing for you local river rats wink.gif

------------------

korn_fish

I have used bullheads with the stickers and w/o. I have not noticed that cutting them off made any difference so I don't cut them off any more. If a flathead wants that bullhead bad enough I don't think a little sticker is going to prevent him/her from eating it. Flatheads are like no other fish in freshwater. Quite honestly I think they will eat whatever they can find, as long as it is alive.

When and if I use Bullheads, I snip the spines off. The smaller Bullheads can really give you the point so its just easier to handle them. Flatheads crush them before swallowing....spines or no spines. You ever look into a Flathead's throat and see those crushers in there? Theres two "pads" of sandpaper like growth near the back of its mouth...Crunch! Crunch!

WET NETS!

------------------

Hey korn I like that drop rig.I have used it on occasion but you gotta be "vewy vewy qwiet" smile.gif
One thing that does virtually the same thing(keeping the bait struggling) is using a float at the head of your leader.It works great with any bait that will try to get on the bottom and stay there.They try and try to swim to the bottom but are always pulled back up.I got ahold of some very large SpinNGlo's and will be giving them a try this year.I am hoping that the spinning floats vibrations will help attract fish.We will see.

• 2 weeks later...

The best would be hot dogs. The cheap kind tho. With mixed meat. not like all turkey dogs or all beef. I read this of in fisherman. and i tired it my self.

Just watched the lindners new show "the edge" they focused on the "other fish". They did segments on catfish and carp. Great stuff! I think I'll be trying a little more of that carp fishing this year.
Anyway I couldn't figure out where the segment was filmed, but it sure looked like the Minnesota. They caught a few nice flats....with what else 6-8" bulls. Really got the juices flowing. I had tunnel vision to the tube.

I don't watch a whole lot of tv but its nice to see Uncle Al and the others back with their own show again. I'll try to catch it tomorrow...Was that show on FSN?

Speaking of hot dogs, I met Al at a sport show quite a few years ago. As we were talking, A little kid came up and told Al..."I like using hot dogs cause they really work good!" Al replied with something like "Your right! Thats a secret not too many people know about too!" The little guy was grinning ear to ear and I was happy also to be in on such a secret being revealed! I can just see it now...Catch more fish with our new 24 ball bearing POWER GLOW rattling hot dogs with patented strike alert! lam.gif

WET NETS!

------------------

Cut suckers are good. Also any fish from the marketyou can find that is cheap. I bought a whole mackeral (sp?)from Costal Seafoods last summer, fileted it and cut it into perfect size strips - then I put themin a zip-lock and added shad scent. That worked really good - nice and tough on the hook and musthave smelled really good too. I've done the same thing with shripm from the grocery store too. Leave the shells on and put them in the zip-lock with any scent or dip you like. This really works well.

Sturgeon46 GOD would I love to get my hands on some mackeral. Used it out in California and hammerd the channels (biggest 21lb) on a cut piece of plain old mackeral with no added sent. Mackeral is high in oil and will last a long time on the hook.

Top bait for myself are in order: Bullhead, sucker chubs for flatheads. Channels is Mackeral (if I had some) fresh cut chubs and dip bait (Doc's blood bait).

Well I'll be!
Never heard of using makeral before.I guess a guy will have to try it.
One thing thatyou don't see used around here too much is shad.Being oily and swiming in the MN River I would think more guys would use it for cut bait.I have tried to get some but am awfully bad at those cast nets.I did find one that had jumped on the rocks and put it on the hook and did catch a channel.If only I could figure out how to throw that dang thing.

I'd like to try some Squid. That stuff is smelly! (I'll never eat it again). Its a cross between liver and rubber. I was out on a launch off of Daytona Florida a few years ago and it was the bait of choice....The Snappers loved it and I bet the Channels would too!...I wonder if UPS would have a problem with shipping it unfrozen to my place?

------------------

Hey, I agree with ya on that Squid. Me and my Dad went out on a Launch in St. Pete and used pieces of squid to catch gray snapper. (Caught alot) That stuff can be hard to put on your hook if you get the right piece and it stays on for a long time. I bet that stuff would work real well for cats on the river!
How do you think some fozen shinners would do for some cats? We had a 1/2 doz or so left over so we froze them, their about 6" to 8" long. What do you think i could do with them to catch some catfish? Ex. Use it whole, cut strips? Kinda new at fishing cats. Any tips? 1zhelp.gif

------------------
Fish, Fish, and Fish some more! ;D

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 03-03-2003).]

I'm sure those shad will be thick at the NSP plant on the St. Croix soon if they aren't already. That's got to be a great bait like the goldeyes they use on the Red. This time of year I always snag a few by accident when I fish the warmwater discharge, but I've never tried a net. If I knew how to throw a cast net I'd try it there. It would be great to freeze a bunch to use through the summer. Fishstunner, those shiners will work fine chunked or filleted in 2-3" pieces for channel cats, but fresh cut-bait is a better option. I do freeze my extra suckers, chubs & goldeye to use as backup bait or when I can't get fresh bait. Vern

Costal Seafood is a great place to get Squid/Mackeral/Shrimp and lots of other tasty things for the cats and the table (I love all that stuff!) I've never used squid but I'll bet they would be fantastic. I'm telling you guys, you've gotta try putting whatever cutbait you like into a ziplock or whatever container you use with a spoonful of whatever your favorite dip bait is - cheese/blood/shad/whatever. It's a lot more pleasant to handle than rotten bait, stays on the hook better than chicken livers and works like crazy.

Channels like it smelly! Nice to find "workarounds" for that whenever you can!