• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
scottiet33

mixing of decoys

scottiet33

i was just wondering how mixing bluebill decoys with mallard decoys would work? maybe two separate groups, all together, or just one or the other? any input would be great, thanks!

Eric Wettschreck

I don't know about bills cuz I've never done it. Early season, like now, I mix in a couple of teal, and off to the side of the spread I put in 3 or 4 woody decoys.

I think the combo works well. I know there are duck hunters out there that don't shoot at teal. That's their choice. Personally, I like em and I think the mixture brings in different species of ducks.

Sartell Angler

I do not mix divers with my puddle duck spread, but I do hunt over 2 groups of decoys at once. If hunting on a point or maybe at the end of an island, I will have the mallards set up in closer to shore on the side, where it is calmer. Then I will leave a nice little landing area in between them and a group of bluebill decoys further out into the chop. Try to get a little line of 'bills going out from the main group downwind, and hopefully they will follow this line up to the main group. This practice usually works quite well.

S.A. aka woodduckwizard from the MN Refuge Gang

bigbucks

I've mixed them before. I put the bill dekes out in a J shaped string, with the hook in by the blind & then put the mallards in around the blind. That seemed to work fine. The bills were still coming right down the line to the guns.

Normally there aren't bills around where I hunt this time of year, so I put out a mixture of mallards, a few teal, & some woodies to one side, with a few geese off the other side.

set the drag

I always have a string of bills on the windy edge of my spread by using a jv rig I have the mallards on the v side and the bills on the j and I also put out half dozen goose decoys also. I have had good luck with that and rarely ever have to change my set up use it all year long I just add decoys as the season goes on. at the end of the season usually have 3 doz bills and 5 doz mally's also I have some bills on a mother lane that is about 30 yards long this thing is dinamite later in the year. I use a short one for mallards later to. it makes it seem like there tryin' to get to were the other ducks are in my spread.

hope the season doesn't fall of the next cuople weekends doin' real good and don't want to loose my rythym looking down the barrel GOOD LUCK

scottiet33

hey thanks a bunch for the quick replies guys, im going to try it soon!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      Fence and pressure from the neighborhood is your best best until there is a law against it. Good luck.
    • delcecchi
      My deck?
    • PRO-V
      A letter from all the neighbors or a neighborhood meeting with him sounds like a good first thing to try. Maybe he'll get the hint. Better than war.
    • james_walleye
      Got a good tree for a stand? Haha
    • CigarGuy
      Rig up a motion sensor with a horn or alarm of some kind.
    • delcecchi
      New neighbor decided he likes to feed deer in the winter, and he does so right on our side of his yard.   The food attracts many many deer, and so our yard now has a big mudhole as well as bushels of deer pellets.    (free for the raking).    Nobody on the road is very happy about him feeding the deer since they tramp around the area and stand on the road and so on.    He didn't sound like "oops won't do that anymore" but more like "no big deal, it will wash away and the grass will grow back"    Anybody got any suggestions?   CO says "nothing that he can do", Town board isn't happy either but isn't convinced they can do anything.   I'm thinking that if they pass a rule, then I can take him to small claims court every spring until he stops wrecking our lawn.   Molotov cocktails are a last resort.   I am thinking of a fence that I put up in the fall to funnel the deer away from my yard.   Snowfence is too short but might help discourage them....   I really don't want war with the neighbor but this can't go on.    I'll talk to him again and see what he is thinking....   Maybe a letter from all his neighbors...   I need ideas...
    • hamboneco
      My buddy and I are hoping to make it in to Little Trout Lake the week after next.   Sitting a canoe has become a little less comfortable over the years, so our idea is to row/pole our way through the channel from Trout Lake in our 16' boat, then row around and drift in Little Trout, while catching some nice walleyes.   Hoping we can get through whatever remains of the beaver dam in the channel without getting in the water.    If anyone has been in to Little Trout lately, does this seem doable?    Poling through the channel always worked years ago when motors were allowed on Little Trout, but of course, things can change in 40+ years.   The only bummer is that I was hoping we could leave the motor on the boat and just not fire it up on Little, but the Ranger Station in Cook told me I must remove it and stash it on the Trout Lake side.  Also, although I spent quite a bit of time on Little Trout in the late 50's through the early 70's, I've only been in there a couple times since.  If anyone has any advice on fishing locations, I would gladly accept them.   
    • Better Than Working!
      Thanks! I have to admit that the plan starting the day was to pitch for smallmouth but the wind where we wanted to fish pushed us to plan B! Another reason to tell my wife why I need so many rods and reels and tackle boxes!
    • Tom Sawyer
      Nice fish!
    • Better Than Working!
      Not seeing any reports from Mille Lacs so here is my 1st report! Hit the pond Saturday afternoon for a few hours of getting the rust off the boat, equipment and skills. Found the fish in cabbage in 10-12 feet of water. Trolling stick baits 2.0 - 2.3 mph. Only got 4 walleye (24", 25" and two 28") but they were very healthy! Not bad for a few hours of fishing! Good luck out there and make some memories!