• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
SCAT

Manitoba scouting reports?

SCAT

Anybody have some insight to the condition of crops in the Portage La Prarie area? Also,any info on numbers of ducks and geese milling about. And lastly any problems getting permission to hunt land. Thanks in advance. SCAT

SCAT

Sorry for the double post...itchy trigger finger

snowgoose

I was up there 2 weeks ago for a tractor show.
The farmers up there are in big trouble this year. They have had 3 to 4 times the normal amount of rain for the year. They also had a very heavy amount of snow last winter.
Most of the grain fields I saw had been flattened to the ground. The flax fields looked like they where only about 10 inches high. They should be 2 feet by now. The Canola fields still had their spring yellow flowers on them.
I also have a cousin about a hour east of Winnepeg(sp). I talked with him 2 nights ago. He said most of the farmes are talking about trying to get the crops out in the spring. It has been raining non stop since I was there.
Sounds like it is going to be a ducky fall in Canada.
I also have been talking to farmers in Sask. for my trip in a week and a half. They say some of the crops are starting to come out. Most of them are a loss.
Manitoba and Sask farmers are in big trouble.

SCAT

Snowgoose, First off thanks for the info, sounds great for redlegs! Second I think that I used to work with your brother in the Falls and if that is true I also know some of your hunting pals from Cloquet.
While you were up there did you hear any scuttlbutt about the Canadain gov urging farmers to deny US hunters access to the land, due to the beef ban? A rumer I heard around the courthouse.

mudman

Got a buddy who lives in Grand Forks ND
said that Canada got 2 inches of snow in Aug and killed the crops.
Birds are just THICK in Grand Forks he said.

snowgoose

SCAT
Your right. You do know who I am. I'm not sure if I have met you before. Were you down here about 5 years ago staying in St Paul with my brother for a conference?
I don't have to much to do with one of the so called friends and old roommate that is from Cloquet anymore.
I have heard a little about the farmer not letting people hunt for the beef reasons. A guy I work with is in Sask right now. Before he left, he called a farmer to get a report. The farmer told him he would have a hard time getting access to hunting land being from the States. The reason the farmer gave was because of the beef trade.
I'm not to worried about it. We have a long standing relationship wiht the farmers were we go. Some of the guys in my group have been hunting there for over 20 years. It is like a family reunion when we go up. The farmers even all get togher to go out to dinner with us.
I guess we treat them pretty well to with gifts of shells for their kids.

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra

[This message has been edited by snowgoose (edited 09-16-2004).]

SCAT

Snowgoose: you have mail

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• krustykrab
      The Pine River stripping station will begin running on Monday, April 23rd.
    • laportian
      I live on the north side of Cass on the Pughole. We had 30 inches of ice out in front of my dock yesterday. Pughole is the flowage between Kitchie and Cass. I'm 200 yards off Cass and the current is pretty strong there. Top few inches was pretty mushy. Nothing happening as far as fish yet. But they are coming. Jumbos move in soon. Also seen a truck out off of Star Island on Monday evening. I imagine they have more ice out on the main lake than I have. I'm for sure going to be out ice fishing through next week at my place. Ice hasn't even begun to pull from shore at my place. 
    • Bigfatbert
      Hey there DUCKHTR . No need for a guide to hunt divers on Leech or Big Winnie . Your spots that you hunted early season on Leech will also be good spots for later season . I don't duck hunt anymore , but I used to hunt a lot on Winnie , mostly all my hunting there was on the north end Third River Flowage . Travel north from Deer River up Hwy 46 to the sign that directs you to turn left , then travel west on that gravel road for about 10-12 miles to the 3rd river boat landing . You should have no problem launching your boat there . From the landing outward is a lot of tall reeds on both sides of you  , this flowage widens out as you go farther out ,and depending on your wind direction on the day of your hunt , you can just pick and choose a spot  , all the way out , and down to Mallard Point where it really opens up to big water on Winnie . You will need to buy up 3-4 dozen Bluebill decoys , and also use your Mallard decoys you must already have . We used to have great shoots in that area of the lake . In the dark of the morning when your heading out you may have other hunters shine a flashlight your way , they are just letting you know that they are already set up in that spot , don't worry , there is plenty of room for many different hunting groups in the flowage . Once you get a few hunts below your belt , you will then have a better understanding of some of your favorite spots to set up ..  I had one particular spot we used to call the "Meat Market" because we used to kill so many ducks there in that spot . Just put out your decoys in the spot you choose , and then  pull your boat into the reeds parallel to the water , wait for legal shooting hrs , and have at it . From my recollection the Bills would start to trickle down from the north around the 20th or so of Oct .. I I hope this helps you out somewhat .
    • gimruis
      Well played.  Wish more people had that attitude.  Even a reduced statewide limit and/or a minimum keeper size would be fine by me.
    • gunner55
      I crossed paths with the person that works over there yesterday & got to ask if they would be netting on the Opener? Their reply was it might be July.  We'll see, may run into them again in the near future.
    • paceman
      Went for a short hunt yesterday morning. Heard a few gobbling on the roost on the neighbors land. They did not come my way and did not make any sounds once they flew down. It was great to be in the blind with the bow again. I am always amazed how loud the spring woods are. Every bird in the country was going crazy. Ducks, geese, crows, woodpeckers... music to my ears! Might get out again Sunday afternoon with my son and then myself Monday morning depending if we see anything Sunday....
    • OhioVike
      Tom, good thoughts now we need good weather!
    • OhioVike
      I have to admit I never heard of it.  I will certainly give it a try.  I am surprised by the number of people that haven't done the cheeks before.  This will really get em.  Thanks.  
    • imhatz
      I heard back from Michael Schwanke a guide working out of Crane Lake that I have known for several years. I told him we are heading up on May 17th. He said it will be close real close. I depends on the night temps need to remain over freezing.....we will keep fingers crossed for a week or two and then decide what to do.
    • Wakemup
      This is great! I’ve never heard of this either Skunked, thanks for sharing- will give it a shot this summer!