• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Johan for CY YOUNG

Willy

That's cool,

Just think what his numbers would be like if he had started as hot as is is currently? There has to be consideration for him to win the award (if he maintains his pace) but it's gonna be hard with big name and big salary guys like Mulder and Clemens, and don't forget about Jason Schmidt, he is second in strikeouts to Santana with more wins and a better ERA, with the same or close to the amount of innings pitched, heck look at Kenny Rogers right now, I think he has better numbers than Mulder. But whatever happens, he's gonna be the man we need to carry us to and through the playoffs, I just hope he continues pitching the way he is.

[This message has been edited by Stratosman (edited 08-04-2004).]

Yeah, I'm stupid, N.L. doh, so is Schmidt. Curt Schilling is up there in stats, more wins, less strikeouts than Santana. It's gonna be great, Santana will win the Cy Young, demand 10 million a year, sign with the Yanks, and beat us 3-4 times next year. smile.gif

I sure hope that the twins give this guy whatever he needs to keep him in a twins uniform when his contract is up. He is only 25 and is very dominant. He will only get better. They need to lock him up long term now while they still can afford him.

Santana definately deserves some looks for Cy Young. If he doesn't it's because of his win-loss record. A great many of Santanas losses were due to lack of run support. If he pitches like he has been lately, and the team scores runs behind him, he's a serious contender. I think this may be why I'm such a Twins fan. We didn't buy our team, we raised our team. Go Twins!!!!!

Moulder has 15 wins, Santana has 10, Santana getting the Cy Young is not going to happen unless Moulder goes into a big slump.

Sorry guys I'm going to have to disagree with you. He pitched well in July but who'd he beat? CWS, Det, KC and TB. Big deal. He didn't do well in April in May and in June he pitched against some crummy NL teams Mont, Mets, Brewers. Besides the East Coast bias will kick in since I think it is voted on the Baseball Writers Assoc. Not many of those writers are going to give him much consideration. He'll get a few votes but not enough to win.

ummmmmmm.......I seem to remember Santana dominating the Red Sox and beating Pedro last Sunday. 10+ Stikeouts in 7 of his last 10 starts or something like that, including 12 against the Sox on Sunday and the BoSox are one of the best hitting teams in the American League - so are the Tigers, as are the Indians. I do think Mulde will win, but Santana is by no means a long shot - he could pull it off. Santana is a dominating pitcher - doesn't matter who he is facing.

FI

Santana probably has the best stats of any AL starter other than won-loss record, which really isn't necessarily a good indication of what kind of season a pitcher is having. Anybody can win or lose depending on what your offense and defense do on your behalf. Want proof? Check out these stats from Nolan Ryan's 1987 season--211 IP, 270 K, 154 H, 2.76 ERA. Want to guess what his record was? A dismal 8-16 with Houston. That's what you call no run support. How many votes do you think he got? Flip those wins and losses around and he's right there. There's a lot of season left and Johan can still rack up quite a few more wins. They won't give the Cy Young to a starter with 15 wins or less, though. They sure as heck shouldn't give it to a reliever but that's becoming more of a reality.

By the way, I read this guy's article and he hit the nail between the eyes by saying, "Wins shouldn't play any role in determining the Cy Young because it's such a team dependent statistic....." Refreshing to finally hear someone say that.

All that is fine and dandy folks --but like I said it doesn't mean a hill of beans to the Baseball Writers Assoc. And they are the ones who vote.

Are they the same clowns who hand out the Gold Gloves? They get most of them right, but there's a few that are a joke, because they turn a defensive award into nearly 50% offense. Just my .02

Did a gentleman say Clemens for Cy Young in the N.L.??? NOPE!! Jason Schmidt hands down! He started out well and has fallen off quite a bit, while Schmidty has been sooo solid and nasty all year long.. plus he is playing for a contending team and playing a key role in that scenario as are Mulder and Santana. My .02 worth.

Santana has about 10 starts left this year. I would say he has to win at least 7 or 8 of them to even be in the top 3 for the Cy. How many of the Cy Young winners in years past only have 18 wins?

• 2 weeks later...

The Winpie Whities, I love it. I also really dislike them!! Hi Ho Silva has a good slider himself. He just has to keep it down. Silva could end up with 14 or 15 wins himself this year. With Silva, Lohse and Santana all young, the Twins could have solid starting pitching for years to come. I think it was in the Poineer Press today they said that the Twins have a young outfielder in AAA ball that is rippen it up with the bat. Even some power, In another post here they are saying that Jones may not be with the team next year. With this kid comming along he may not be.

Jason Kubel I think is his name or something like that. As of Sunday he'd hit 15 dingers since coming up from AA & was leading the league at like .353 or something. He'd hit 6 dongs in AA before coming up, but is actually more of a line drive hitter right now. It sounds like he's the real deal.

Santana's been awesome, if he pitches like this the rest of the season he'll win the Cy Young regardless of who has more wins. That's assuming Mulder doesn't wind up with 23-24 some really high total.

Sounds to me like Kubel would make a good DH. We need one with some power. As far as him playing in the field, I think he is only an average outfielder, and even if jacque jones leaves, breaking into the Stewert, Hunter and Ford lineup would be aweful tough.
My .02

SPUD

OK, I know what I wrote in my last post but this guy can flat out pitch. He does not give up many hits. I wonder how many hits he as given up in his last 10 to 12 starts. Not many! I heard he has 7 starts left and if he can win 5 of them and keep pitching well he just may do for it the Cy Young.

How good is this guy?

The New York Times calls him "Cy Santana."

Joe Torre said "He's the best pitcher we've faced in a while. He's got mid-90s heat, an electrifying slider, and a Pedro Martinez changeup. All with the same delivery."

Right now he's 14-6 with 7 or 8 starts left. His post-All Star performances over the past 2 seasons is 15-1.

I think Mulder is his biggest threat for the Cy Young, and I believe Mulder has 16 wins. But Cy Santana leads him in virtually every other statistic. Man does his change up move. 11 K's last night.

It's so great watching the Wimpy Whities mail it in for the season already. I'm just worried about the next two starts vs. the Rangers with Silva and Lohse on the hill...

• 3 weeks later...

stupid john Kruck said last night that Shilling should win the cy young because he has 1 more win. He said all the other #s mean nothing. He is a fool. Gammons a real baseball mind says santana has the cy young hands down.

I think Santana will get it, if he pitches the way he has been in his remaining 3-4 starts. I like Kruk, but he's off on that call. You'll notice Gammons always gives the Twins credit & usually knows what he's talking about in general.

Other things being equal, then wins should decide, other things aren't equal. Although in two less starts, Radke & Schilling have the same # of innings, & their ERA's only differ by .08 per game. Schilling's got 8 more wins, no brainer. Santana's ERA is .59, more than half a run lower than Schillings, that's a bunch. He also has 1 less win, with more innings pitched, although again in less starts. Isn't Santana's scoreless streak around 25 innings now?

If Santana gets 20 wins & doesn't get shelled the rest of the season, or even possibly does once, it doesn't matter what the other guys do now, I don't think. I mean if Schilling throws a couple no hitters, well than maybe...

Sorry I need to clarify, Schilling has less starts than Radke & Santana, making his innings pitched a bit more impressive.

I really hope that Santana will win, he deserves it as of right now. If you throw out the names and just look at the numbers, its a no brainer.

I hope that the twins not being in a pennant race down the stretch doesn't hurt Santana's chances. Also i hope that the East coast bias doesn't come into play either when they vote

Sounds like Santana might only get one more start, hopefully two. If he gets his 20th win & maintains his ERA I don't see how they can't give it to him. He's pitched more innings than Schilling, who cares if it's two more starts, & the ERA's aren't close 2.65 vs. 3.4. We're talking 3/4ths of a run per 9, that's quite a bit. He's been totally dominant, what is it 13 straight starts with a win, not even a no decision in all that time, he's just filthy.

As of lastnight whats his name says shilling will still give santana a run for his money, I believe it was Renoylds(the black dude). I like him but it seams like he and kruk try to overanalyze everything. Just admit it santana is the best there is. And look out next year, he could have a season era undre 2.00, wow

I agree with you guys Santana is the most dominate pitcher right now and not only in the American league. Santana deserves the Cy Young. Some sports analysts think he will get some M.V.P. votes as well. I hope we can beat out the A.L. West team and then Santna against Schilling in game 1 ALDS. WOW that would be a game to watch. Not very many runs but great pitcher's dual.

• 1 month later...

You guys still think Johan will get the Cy? I don't. And of course I realize that the writers are supposed to only use the Regular season as their basis for voting-- but I am sure they will take the Schilling bloody socks post season games into account and vote Schilling.

If Johan does not get the Cy Young there is something wrong with baseball. The way he pitched against the Yankees in the play-offs there is no doubt. He didn't even pitch his best and still did not give up a run! He had an awesome year. The Twins will need the same out of him next year.