• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Erik

I'm very familiar with river from Princeton to Isanti. There is a number of places you can drop in a canoe or small boat. If you want to shore fish you can fish the park in Cambridge.
You can shore fish either side from just under the highway 95 bridge about a half mile or so downstream to the boyscout camp.

The deer flys and mosquitos could be horrible right now. I usually don't hit the river until mid September. Most of the time I fish holes and use a jig and minnow. Crankbaits can be good too. Be prepared for lots of snags. Brushpiles and logjams can be awesome and there are lots of them; but they eat a lot of tackle. Good Luck!

mistermom

I fished the Rum at the bridge right after you leave county road 4 and go north through Crown and the county line bar. Just waded and casted and caught 2 small largemouth. I have a 14 foot lund with a 9.9 on it and don't know the river and don't want to wreck anything. What types of fish do you catch? Also I went to Blue Saturday morning and caught 1 walleye (18 inches) 5 northerns the biggest 26 inches, 3 about 22 inches and one hammerhandle and one largemouth about 16 inches. Put all of the fish back except one of the 22 inch northerns (enhaled my cleo spoon). I think I am fishing the northerns until fall. I haven't had much success with the walleyes.

There are some spots you could fish your boat. Unfortunately, a lot of them you might not be able to run very far. I would assume that the river is running high with all the rain we have; had so you might be able to go far this year. What we have always done is if it gets too shallow we wade and pull the boat/canoe. Logs are more of a problem than rocks. The river around the Cambridge area is rocky in only a few places and you should see them before you hit them.

I'm always going for walleye, but catch a lot of northern and smallmouth anyway. If you got a MN atlas and gazeteer it will show you some of the landings. The one just off 95 by Walbo is pretty decent and there are some holes right there. Good luck sir.

mistermom

Thanks so much for the advice. I am a walleye fisherman before anything and will try to learn the Rum this fall. I live by Nowthen and there are not many decent lakes around for walleye. Thanks again and maybe I will see you out there sometime.

No problem. I'm hoping to get out on the Rum sometime this fall. A lake that isn't too far from you that you might want to try is Green. I've never fished it but, have heard it can be good. The DNR site says it has a 4.0 average gill net lift (good for that area); but the size average is over 2 lbs. Might be worth a shot. Good luck.

mistermom

I was in Princeton yesterday and stopped where 95 crosses the Rum. Can you fish it in the fall in waders? What is best going north or south? It's about 20 miles from my house but it's a quick 20. Thanks

I've never fished it north from Princeton. The river actually comes together there from a split. But I know people fish it right below the split by the bridge. The waders question is tricky. You need to know how high the rivers running. The nice thing is, however, is that if you are in the water you're not trespassing. The Rum really is a nice wading river. Still very little developement and I've never had anybody tell me to get off their property in 25 years.

A place I would try for a wading trip is to go up 47 and stop at the second bridge crossing fo the river. It's called West Point. Just after you cross the bridge going north there is parking on the right side of the road. You will see a steep bank dropping down to the river. You can fish right there or go up or down from there. There is a nice hole just downstream, big curve, lots of brush. That might be an even closer shot for you than to run to Princeton. There is also a gas station at Coopers corner where you can get bait and tackle and possibly info (depending on who is working)......I'm getting fired up! Month and a half I'll be there.

Mistermom, thanks so much for the great Rum River info. You have me all pummped up now. It sounds like you are pretty familiar with the area so I though I might try to share my latest adeventure with you. I went out to Norris lake and picked up some nice pike on saturday morning. Just trolloing a little cleo spoon in 12-15 feet. Say do you fish jigs/ twister tails tipped with live bait when you are fishing the Rum?

Hey Erik,

Where is Norris Lake? Not familiar with that one. Northerns are a hoot and more cooperative than the darn walleyes usually. I get tons of bite-offs by northerns in the rum in the fall. The end of September into October the northerns go nuts. To answer your question: I have used plastics with some success. I usually let the fish tell me what to use. I'll start out with a plain jig and a minnow. If I'm getting nothing I might add a twistertail or use a fuzzygrub. If I'm getting short bites I will usually start downsizing jigs until I'm just using a plain hook and a splitshot or slipsinker. I'll also let the fish take the minnow if they are just mouthing the minnow. And as the water temps drop I slow down my presentation until I'm just letting bait sit out there with just an occasional move. Main thing is to experiment.
I've had really good luck with red, pink, and plain leadheads, but have caught eyes on all sorts of colors. Anyway, you'll see what works when you get out there. When they are feeding hot and heavy hard not to catch them.
Later sir.

mistermom .

Take 47 north like you are heading to St. Francis. Right when 47 veers to the east about 2 miles south of St. Francis look to your left. Look quick because it's really tough to see. If you pass over a bridge you drove too far. Neat lake without much traffic. Landings are pretty tough but I don't have any problems with my 14 foot lund and Jeep Cherokee. I suppose the landing keeps the jetskis and waterskiers off of the lake. Come to think of it I have never seen either out there. Give it a try, it's a really quiet lake that doesn't get nearly the pressure as a lot of our lakes in the metro do.

My kind of lake. I'll have to check it out. I was out on Goose saturday (up by Rush City) trying to do some open water trolling. Struck out at that so switched to weedlines and caught 2 little northerns. Par for the course lately.

mistermom

Mistermom, have you ever fished East Twin by Nowthen? I have some midsummer success for pike there.

Erik,
No I have not tried East Twin. I looked at the stats on the dnr site and it looks like it would be a decent bass and northern lake. I'm kind of a walleye snob. I fish for walleyes and if I happen to catch other things thats fine. I don't know why? Bass and northern fight a heck of a lot better usually and they are usually a lot more cooperative. It must just be the challenge of walleyes (and the tastiness); but I hardly ever fish lakes that have no walleye.

I noticed that you have been on Blue. That lake has some interesting structure. I fished it once and struck out. I would like to try it again. These days the closest thing to fishing I'm doing is following this website.

mistermom

Mistermom, I know what you mean. I would rather fish the eyes more than any other species. It just so happens East Twin is 3 miles from my door and when its the dog days of summer I can boat some pretty big pike in an hour os so most times (catch photo release). Also there is a bit of a shortage of walleye lakes near Northern Anoka county. The DNR did however stock East Twin with walleyes in 2001 (205,000 walleye frye). Survival and growth rates etc.. I know nothing about but regardless it piqued my interest. My fishing time is going to be greatly reduced come December because my wife is expecting out first. I am looking to have a last hurrah this fall before my ability to go pretty much whenever I want is no longer. Is the Rum good this time of year? Do you know what effect these big rains have on the Rum's fishing? One more question do you think a guy would do well on the eyes if you put in where the rum begins out of mille lacs? You would have to think some eyes spill into that area.

Congrats on the new baby thats almost here. I've got 3. 7, 5, and 4 months (I really am mistermom). And you are completely correct on your fishing time dropping off considerably. But its worth it.

I've never fished the rum way up by mille lacs but I've heard that it is small, shallow and rocky. And there is good smallmouth fishing up there. The millaca to Princeton stretch is supposed to be a good fishery too; but I've got no firsthand knowledge of it. Sorry. Right now the fishing ought to be decent on the rum; but I think the bugs would still be awful. The deer flies should be done in a couple of weeks. The mosquitos will be bad until there is a hard frost. The mosquitos won't bother during the day if you are on the river but on the banks or int the shade would be bad. The deer flies will buzz you like a million miniature F-16's... I hate bugs.

End of August it will just keep getting better and better. It's the same every year.

mistermom

Erik, you caught any walleyes in Twin? I fish for Bass there 3-4 times a week-excellent Bass lake by the way- but I have never seen any walleyes there. You would think it would be a decent walleye lake, plenty of deep water and a lot of small baitfish. I could be fishing there tonight, if your out stop by and say Hi. I'll either be in a 17' Tracker with 3 kids, or a red Skeeter . Good luck

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hi Mistermom,
boy you work quick... smile.gif

Only 3 months separating 3 kids (7 down to 4), ...WOW, world record. grin.gif

JK

erik, i fish for the walleyes too. blue is a good producer if you can fish at nite. other favs green and spec. have you ever fished birch? its south of orrock off 15. all seem to produce for me. Im not saying i get limits every time out but a few fish here and there gets a meal. try them at nite you are bound to get em.

Mistermom, thanks for the reply. I bet when you bring your crew out you are a hook baiting machine. I intend to learn more about the Rum this year and will be sure to pass on my success or lack thereof. Basser you are right about the bass. While I am not a bass fisherman I have boated some big bass in East Twin. Actually in the winter fishing bluegills I have caught bass 19 and 20 inches. On a crappie jig and 4lb test, its a challenge (they are still in there). I release all of my bass. Snowking I have not caught any Walleyes on East Twin. They were stocked in 2001 as frye. I couldn't guess even how big that would make them. Have you ever fished Elk (by Zimmerman)for walleyes? I have a couple of times and been pretty unsuccessful. The one fish I did catch was 18 inches and as fat as could be. I have also fished Blue with some limited success as well. I have given up completely on Martin by Linwood. The DNR netting and stocking numbers are intrigueing but mu success has been poor. I have heard rumors that there has been some winterkill in the past few years on Elk? The last DNR netting shows a lot of nice walleyes but my lack of success makes me think that there might be something to the winterkill theory. The lakes you mention I am aware of but I have yet to fish Birch Green and spectacle. Sounds like you have it figured out though (hitting the water before the masses show). Thanks for the tips I will have to them a shot. Happy fishing all. Basser I will give you a shout if I see you out and about. I have a 14 foot red lund with a 9.9 evinrude and a bow mount trolling motor.

Snowking, you have me convinced. I was looking over Green by cambridge and have decided to give it a run. I think Saturday morning I am going to hit it (5:00- 8:30 ish). What I find particularly interesting about Green is all of the runoff that is coming into it. With the recent rain it might be interesting. I will be sure to let you know how I do. I usually fish with my dog in a 14 foot red lund with an evinrud 9.9. Thanks for the tip.

Mr. Erik!

Check the back posts. I suggested Green 2 weeks ago. Anyhoo, I hope you do well on saturday. I'd go up there too but I'm out of town. File a report please; curious to see how you do. Good luck!

mistermom

Sorry mistermom. I didn't mean to discount your advice. I pulled it up on the DNR lake finder site and noticed the netting looks pretty solid along with the creeks that run into it. I used to live near a lot of good walleye lakes really close growing up so it's still an adjustment for me to drive further than 10 miles or so.