• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Hey all who are wondering about Pine Lake near Finlayson. I lived on Pine Lake for most of my life (and that's a long time!. Anyway, Pine is a great lake to fish, it is a tough lake to fish. The fish can disappear in a flash and they can be real tough to find. The crappies go into hibernation mode in the winter. They can be REAL hard to find. But when you do, you can catch some monsters. Upwards of 2 pounds. My family owns the property on Big Pine just halfway up the North Lake on the east side. The woods juts out into a swamp with a creek running out of it. We find that the northern fishing is great in that area. The weed beds hide some great big ones. The Walleyes find the holes and stick there. The Crappies bite early in the morn and late late afternoon. Small jigs tipped with minnows and try different light presentations. LIGHT LINE is a KEY. I have a Ice house that is all brown with an TV antennae off of it and I am in it alot on weekends. Stop by and see me! I will try to give you as much info as I can. Have a good one and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!!

hunt4food

Hey sounds good! My parents own a cabin on the Pine River just east of Finlayson. I usually stay there and then head over to Mille Lacs. Maybe I will look you up some time and come out and fish. I will bring the venison Brats and the adult refreshments!

BradB

Hey Crappie Hunter,

My shack is just a few miles north of there and I've spent quite a bit of time fishing the Pines. I've never done consistantly well on walleyes, but have caught a large number of crappies. I've fished it both summer and winter and know a few spots.

My buddy Todd may be doing the creel census on that lake this winter for the DNR. Be sure to give him a hard time when he comes by.

Brad

Hey Friends, I welcome your visit to my Ice house. And yes the crappies in the summer when you find them are plentiful. The last few years have been exceptional. Then just last year the crappie bite started slowing. If you have been around you know that there are some nice walleyes in the lake, and fishing out of Talloses bay on the sunken Island is always a good bet. The island is only 6 to 8 feet under the water and with the right presentation you can latch onto a few. The crappies like a jig and minnow presentation directly under the boat. The winter as you know dosen't bring alot of Ice fishing pressure although upper pine gets alot of Ice fishing on it. Even though fishing may not be great in the winter, we all with any sense of adventure (and a lack of Brains)know the best place to be is on hard water with good friends (and beverages!)Anyway Everybody be safe on the Ice this year, with the snow and not alot of wind before the hard freeze it is going to cause some honeycombed Ice. So have fun and be safe. Hunt4food and Brad B I look forward to meeting you! See Ya!

Crappie Hunter,

Thanks for your input. Keep us up to date with your ice fishing adventures.

You're right about the size of the pike. I've yet to catch a pike under 4 pounds out of these lakes, and I've done battle with some 10+. However, I've usually lost the battle with the big ones due to the use of bass tackle (no leaders).

With that said, folks please don't abuse this fishery. There's some nice pike, but not alot of them. In fact, I'll make a bold statement and say that all FishingMinnesota faithful should release all healthy pike in this lake. If you want nice ones, it's the only way to maintain it.

Hey Guys hopefully you don't get this post twice. But I will try it again. BIG, the lake with the resort on it is the North Lake. The resort is Waldheims Resort - or so it used to be called. I haven't been over there for a long time. The new houses are just to the South of the resort. The land that the houses are going up on, are on my relatives land. The land used to be Verner Hetallas. Old Finlander related to my Grandma. We used to go sliding on that property. In fact there is a deep hole just to the south of those new houses. Right where the old house is on the hill is a deep hole with great fishing for bass when they are deep. That hole goes down 18 to 25 some feet. Also the house just to the south of old Verners is my sister in laws old house. Well anyways the ice is about 5 inches thick and some spots it is 8 inches. My house is North of your brothers place. Just north of what we call Tollesses Bay. I am right on the point. Brown Ice house with an Antennae on it. Stop by some time.

BIG

....can attest to 'Big' northerns I have hooked in Pine Lake also......

BIG

....Crappie Hunter?? Thanks for the posts.
...Which Pine Lake is the one with the
...resort and where they are building the new houses ??? My brother-in-law has a cabin across from the new house construction??

BIG

......thanks for the re-post.....its a small world...I had - a few years ago - heard about, what I thought was a yellow house on this lake - with a gradual, sloping sandbar in front of it.... ever run across anything like that?? thanks....

Yep, that was Tolleses house. That house is off of the east side of the lake. Back in the bay. It is now remodeled and I think is it gray. But straight east is the underwater Island. You will see people walleye fishing there quite often.
Ice is getting thick now. Some cold temps the last few nights have made some good ice.

Umm sorry BIG, I meant straight west from there house. If you come back south all the way to the point. There is another house that has been just remodeled. It (I think) has a new wrap around deck and it is cedar sided. If you look directly north from there out in the middle of the bay that is where the sunken island is.

BIG

.......thanks, you have very helpful......

Bornofice, Big, Huntforfood. Let me know if you guys have been out on Pine in the last week or so. I will probably be out on the lake sunday the 30th, checking some things out. Let me know how ya did if you did any line wetting.
Or anybody else for that matter.
I would also like to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Crappie Hunter,

Sorry, can't help you on Pine right yet. I was on Cross near Pine City the last two days. It was fair for crappies. Not alot of size, but you could cut 'em up if you needed to. I'll be somewhere in the area tomorrow as well. Good luck out there.

Bornofice
I live in Pine City! If you want give me a call and let me know how things are going. I could even find a Beer or two or coffee for us.

hunt4food

No I haven't been up that way for awhile. I did come through yesterday on my way home from Lake of the Woods. I am planning to come up in February sometime so I will touch base again with you then. Thanks for asking!

Bornofice
Great, look forward to talking with you. But, I don't have your email. How do I get this from you?