• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Flick

Went out this weekend, fished from noon Sat. to noon Sun. Three of us caught 10 walleyes and lost a 23-24" right under the ice. Also got a 23". Also got 2-21" fish, 5 in the slot, and 2 under. Got the fish on everything. Most of the fish we marked we were able to make bite. Fished in 21ft. of water on the NE side. An unreal amount of portables on Sat. but on Sunday that number was at least cut in half. Nasty out on Sunday. We were able to sleep in our portable and got fish at 10:45, and 3:30 a.m., same times as last weekend, different part of the lake, Coincidence? I don't know. Good Luck

D-man-Yeah we did get 2 pout, they were both real small, around 14" and they were both caught while pounding bottom trying to figure out where it was.

My three fishin partners and myself fished Saturday and Tuesday and iced 118 walleyes and plenty of jumbos. Thats right 118 walleyes. Of those, near 20 in the slot, two 27's, many in the low to mid 20's, and alot of 12-13 inchers. The guys I've been talkin with have given me similar reports.

Cross their EYES!!!

Do you mean Sat through Tuesday? Tell us how you do it? At least tell me! I am having huge problems getting on fish this season..we only have 1 eye to show for a weeks worth a fishing! I can't seem to find the eyes, and the perch won't bite either. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 01-09-2002).]

Three guys and myself were also out on saturday,sunday and tuesday.Saturday we caught 70 to 80 walleyes from 12:30 to 5:00 24 were in the slot.Sunday two of us went and caught 45,12 in the slot. Tuesday there was two of us again and we managed to catch 30 with only seven in the slot,the biggest all three days was only 27" We were on the mud.

Has anyone been fishing around Hunters point area if so how was fishing and ice??Also when is the good bite happening all day,night,or morn and eve???Heading up sunday night.

Remember its not fishing its called CATCHING.CPR

Thanks for info!!

Grabs,
No I don't mean Saturday through Tuesday, I mean just those two days!!! Whatever your doing I think you should stop it and refocus yourself. If you have nothing to show for your efforts so far try switching things up. What I mean is if your fishin shallow, say 20ft. or so, try fishin deep, say 29ft.+. It's hard to say because I don't know what your throwing at them or where on the lake your fishin? Sand, rocks, gravel or mud? Don't think twice about trying something you would never imagine. If you want to tell me where about you've been fishin I may be able to give you a few tips.

And don't forget to: CROSS THEIR EYES

Flockin Man, I fish out of Week Ends on the SW end. I was in 19' of water on sand and now I am in 14' on the gravel,..much of the same. I think my biggest problem is the crowds and lake of stucture to put a house down on in that area right now. I have been using fatheads and shiners, jigging and set lines. I really have tried all the basics,..but I am open to trying anything new. I am hoping I can get out to the rocks on Andersen's tomorrow before the crowds come up,....but there is a ridge in that area and it this warmth hasn't helped things at all.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The key is to get away from the crowds.Three of us went fri.,caught 35 walleyes 9 in the slot.Fatheads have been working just as good as jigging spoons. The last few years we never caught walleyes on fatheads or shiners,thy only hit spoons.

Hey Flockin Man and Joewalli,
Would you guys mind sharing the GPS coordinates of these "hot" mud flats or even their names? I am not really familiar with the lake and would like know where I should start or end.
If you don't want to share it on the site for the whole world to see, please e-mail them to me at [email protected]
I promise to keep it to myself.
Thanks in advance!

My bite on the rocks seems to be slowing down some. We managed to pull around 20 fish on Saturday with a 30 inch pig we released. We had 5 slots and a few in the low to mid twentys. Hoping that we get a little snow on the lake so I can get my sled out and get to some good spots!!!

And remember to: CROSS THEIR EYES!

HEY TURTLE I DONT THINK FLOCKING MAN WILL GIVE ANY GPS CORDINATES TO OUR HOT SPOTS, BUT LIKE HE SAYS DONT FORGET TO EXPERIMENT A LITTLE. I TRIED SOME OFF THE WALL STUFF A FEW DAYS AGO AND STUCK EM GOOD, I WONT TELL THE SECRET THOUGH, ALL I CAN SAY IS SWITCH IT UP, TRY SMALLER OR BIGGER, DIFFERENT COLORS, DIFFERENT JIGGING METHODS AND MOVE AROUND AND AVOID THE CROWDS. IF YOU DO LOCATE SOME FISH WALK AROUND WITH THE AUGER AND POP 15 OR SO HOLES ABOUT 20 YARDS APART AND MOVE FROM HOLE TO HOLE. IT HELPS YOU LEARN THE AREA ALSO AND GIVES YOU A GOOD IDEA WHERE TO SET-UP FOR PRIME TIME.

CROSS THEIR EYES!

Flocking, GPS cordinates would be pretty hot! I just emailed this page to a buddy of mine and I think we are both going to take tomorrow off and do some fishing on Mille Lacs. If you're going to be out tomorrow I'll bring you some lunch! he-he

Feel free to do the email thing if you are sending them out. [email protected]

Thanks,
Jess

Sorry guys, Dennis and I put in alot of hours on the water and the ice to pin point our "hotspots" and I don't forsee myself giving out any GPS coordinates for free pickins. Try puttin in a little more time and movin around and I'm sure you'll come up with some of your own secret walleye haunts!!! If you do find me on the lake I'd love that free lunch!

Remember to: CROSS THEIR EYES

Flockin Man and Dennis Conrad,

Why are you even posting a fishing report?
It's like you are trying to rub our noses in your success. You haven't given us any information that would help except to try deeper. I've read your posts over and over trying to get a little more info out of it, and all I get is 'try switching things up'. Well that's a lot of help on 118,000 acre fishery. Where are you fishing - rocks, mud, gravel...

The best info so far on this thread is from joewalli. He was fishing mud. That helps me.

oh and cross their eyes...

Flockinman,

Forget about the GPS info, just give a general area for us to check out.

Sorry but I love facts, Mille Lacs is 132,516 acres.
Source: Where to Catch'em Lake Maps.

Mr. TJHUNTER,
I think you should read my posts again but pay a little more attention. In them I tell what kind of structure we've been fisin.ROCKS, to be more precise I like the transition areas. I believe the topic of this post is REPORT, not give me your GPS coordinates so my buddies and I can go and fish the hell out of your spots! I'm sure joewalli picked up on that but I don't believe he needs any help, he seems to know what he's doing. I don't see him posting up his GPS coordinates, why aren't you all over his ass? I've learned the hard way about giving spots, oh I wont tell anybody, yeah please. To those of you that put your time in for those hot spots my hat goes off to ya, for those of you that want those spots served to you on a silver platter I say better find some other sucker to dish them up for you!!!!!!

CROSS THEIR EYES!!!!!

I'll give this much out:just off the rocks in 30' provided there are not any people fishing in the area. Seems everyone wants to find the top of the flat or reef and sit on it thinking they will come to ya. I have fished the lake enough years to tell you that on top can be an excellent spot at times, but you have to consider fishing pressure and weather patterns. But with high skies or some pressure from people klanging around, on top is not the place to be. Set yourself off of it in say 28-30' preferrably somewhat close to the steepest slope or on a outside or inside bend. Don't settle for just a good break, break it down a little more and find a spot on a spot. With little pressure from people you don't have to be far off of it to catch them through the day. If more people move in, back out a little farther or deeper. Think a little bit out there and yes you might have to spend a couple of hours finding a good area to work. If you think me or Flocking man is gonna give out some cordinates think again! Find your own spot and keep it a secret, the word spreads fast and pressure from people can ruin a good spot in a hurry. Good luck and dont forget to CROSS THEIR EYES!

Dennis,

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I hope I can get a few fish.

Flocking Man,

I don't want to get into a pissing contest, but I never asked for any GPS coordinates. They wouldn't do me any good anyway because I don't have a hand held GPS. Plus, I don't want to come to 'your' spot and fish your fish. The lake is huge. If you're fishing rocks, let us know. I'll look for rocks and a comparable depth and do my best.

Thanks for the help

------------------
tjhunter

Hey boys,
I'm not an expert on Mille Lacs. Infact, I haven't fished it in a year or so, but what I know is what the CROSS THEIR EYES' boys are telling you. Locate a hard bottom structure, sand or rocks and find transition areas. These are highly over looked spots. Cut lots of hole on and off the break and look at your vex for your bottom mark. It will change with bottom hardness. Thicker and darker, the harder. The transition areas to mud are great!!!!! Catch all my eyes on the north sand in these transition areas. Good luck!!!!

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 01-16-2002).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

For those sharing information, thank you.

For those who are asking for someone to put you directly on the fish, hire a guide.

I understood the information they were providing immediately and it was very good information.

No whining at information sources allowed here-period.

The info is free and shared with goodwill.

Play nice!!!

Going to Mille Lacs for the second time ever. I am a firm beleiver in getting away from the crowd and comotion. Last year when I was there I didnt catch a thing. Hopefully this weekend is different. Asking for peoples opinions on this one when fishing Mille Lacs. I fish panfish a lot and use Genz's philosophy of trolling on ice. Is this the case and how long should I give them in one spot? Thanks for any responses. Butch

BK, pick your spot during prime time and sit it for a few hours, you don't want to be shmucking around and spooking them off, let them come to you. I have pulled quite a few nice fish in the late mornings, so I like to sit a morning spot till at least 10:00am. After that move around and fish it for 10-15 minutes, give it a chance, then move on. Anyone willing to give up $300 a head for my spots and knowledge is on for a guided trip with me,no promises but i will give er all i got.

I hope I didn't ruffle anyones feathers with my posts. The only reason I posted was to let you guys know that the bite was on. The spots that we fish aren't "our spots" these are simply the spots we fish. Anyone can fish a spot or say a reef or mud flat, but if you want to catch more fish you MUST locate spots on spots. Turns, transitions from rocks to gravel to sand, a few rocks in the right spot, and funnel areas. These areas can mean the difference between being bit or coming home empty handed. I can't stress this enough to the average angler that has little expierence on the lake. If you are unable to distinguish these areas with your electronics try to get a hold of an underwater camera for a day, you'll be amazed with what you see. I don't like to fish with them but I will occasionally take a look at the structure i'm on with mine. Like Dennis said, we'll be more than happy to take someone out on a guided trip if they'd like though I think his price was a little steep.HEHEHE. Good fishin to all!!!

CROSS THEIR EYES!!!!!

I bought a lake map, study it, look at posts online from anglers and resorts, when i get to a lake talk to a person at the baitshop or resort. I also move around a lot on the lakes. These are great ways to find that hot spot or secret lake. most hot spots are dead a weak later anyways, so why are gps cordinates so important, i don't use one.

Remember folks, not everything you hear is true. The web is a great place to post whatever you want without ever having to expose your true self.

I'm sure they are all catching fish if you are willing to move around and spend many hours on the lake. Not wanting to give up "hotspots" is understood. If they don't want to be bugged for this info they should think twice about posting. This is what happens when time is a factor. It is tough to spend the time needed to get to know Mille Lacs Lake as well as the ones who are having the success do.

Offer to pay one of them a guiding fee for the day and see if that sparks an interest. $400 dollars for a day of catching walleyes and learning how to fish the big lake is a small price. The knowledge they have is worth money. It is just like working a job....you get paid for the hours you spend on the job!

Good luck!!!

I am sorry to have opened that can of worms.

Joewalli and Flockin Man,
I am really sorry to have put you guys on the defense here. When I asked for GPS coordinates, I honestly didn't expect anything but I had to try. Half the time I enter the coordinates wrong anyway. I am not mad nor do I blame you guys for not spilling the beans. It's everyone's right as to how much or how little information they want to share. I don't judge you guys for not giving coordinates or naming flats or what not. The more I thought about it the more I realized that half the fun of fishing is finding your own favorite spots. If you don't find a favorite this trip, you'll have the next and so on and so on. I continued to read this thread and really do appreciate the fact that you and others were kind enough to detail some things out. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Now, let's get back to fishing.
See you guys on the ice!

Flockinman and Dennis Conrad, man you guys are too much. I never heard so much B.S. since we were all down in Rochester in the pits huntin honkers(figure out who this is yet?) Ok, you give up. Yes yes it's true it's goose pit. I still have yet to make it up to Mille Lacs this year but I hope to on the 8th of Feb. On my way to Red Lake. I'm sure glad you guys are gettin fish up there, cuz I aint gettin crap down in Kato. Later, catdaddy(aka goose pit)

------------------
"Give em more line!"