• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

girlfriend/wife participation

fish1golf 0

Some might find this interesting. Do you ask/take your girlfriend/wife fishing? Describe the experience.

Yes! And I love the fact that she wants to. I took her ice fishing for the first time last year up to Mille Lacs. This was literally her first time ever ice fishing. The ice cracking and how clear it was scared the daylights out of her, but she was quite the trooper. We were on the north end. She was in the fish house and I decided to go out a little deeper to try for perch and to have her whistle or wave if she got anything. About 15 minutes later, I look back (about 50 yards away) and she's jumping up and down waving her arms. First thing I thought... EEL POUT!! Imagine one of those for a newbie. I raced back, went in the house, and there, lying on the floor was about a 4 pound walleye!! I had not caught a walleye all day! She said she was jigging and WHAM! she started reeling up and as soon as the head came up near the hole, she yanked and up came the fish! She had the ruler covering both holes so the walleye would not go back in and she could show me. I was such a proud husband!

Absolutely take them fishing. When the fish aren't biting...... Seriously though, why wouldn't you want to take the one you love with you?

------------------
Erik Torgerson

I am very fortunate. My wife likes to fish and she can recognize when I need an evening out on the lake by myself. We have a cabin in western Wisconsin and my wife and two young daughters like to wet a line to chase anything that like to hit a slip bobber & live bait. They also give me opportunties to rig, jig, cast, drag or troll by myself.

In each of the last two years both my daughters have had pictures in the Outdoor News with pictures of fish they caught ice fishing. They are into it!

Another great thing is my wife can move to a book/magazine and a Smirnoff Ice when she has had enough fishing and let me continue fishing.

No participation on the hunting yet.

WG

If your wife, or girlfriend wants to go fishing with you, by all means, take em!

Opens up another avenue of entertainment, with alot of side roads!

My wife and I have been together for about 30 years and we still go fishing together once in awhile, summer and winter and have a great time.

Although my wife is deathly afraid of deep water, she will still come out in the boat with me, securely bundled in a life vest of course and does'nt complain much, as long as I stay in the shallow end of the pool! On the ice she gets a little jumpy, not so much if there are alot of people.

She loves to fish from shore, has alot more patience then I do and usually outfishes me. We always have a hell of a good time and sometimes get a fish dinner out of the deal! It's all good.

oh man! if she wants to go; take her. and be sure to ask even if you don't think she does . if they are not into fishing, many gals love to relax in a boat on a nice day ( like yesturday!) reading a book or having a toddy or soaking up the sun! i'm divorced ! trust me !!

By all means, TAKE HER!!!

I lost my fishin' buddy to cancer a couple years ago, and let me tell you, I really miss the times we spent on the water. I'm gamefish, she was panfish. I liked trolling and casting. Give her a bobber and a worm and she was happy as a clam. Two sides of the same coin. The look that came over her face, the sparkle in her eyes, with every fish she caught, it was like it was her first fish ever. Big or little. It didn't matter to Cindy. It always brought a smile.

That old saying about not knowing how much you'll miss something (or someone) until it's gone really rings true.

So guys... Take'em along. You'll be glad you did.

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

last winter i took my wife ice-fishing for the first time she likes to summer fish but never uderstood the attraction of ice fishing. Well i took her to lake of the woods for 2 days. We caught lots of fish. On the second day I fought a northern on 4lb line for about 45 minutes got it half way out of the hole and dropped it. My wife said after watching me fight that fish she will never wonder why i love ice fishing so much. Now she is already bugging me to book our next trip to LOW. Adam

By all means take them along if they want to go, or ask them they can always say no.
My wife goes with me most of the time either in the boat or on the ice.

My wife is my favorite fishing partner, hands down, it's rare she out fishes me, but it happens, and it a huge highlight for her, I can't imagine anything better, well there are the bets for the big fish, but thats a story that doesn't need to be told. wink.gif

Anybody remember "Walter" from "On Golden Pond"? We are newly weds of seven years...in our upper 50's, both previously married. When we accidentley met, got to talking about fishing and she asked if I had a boat & motor. Had just bought my first boat the summer before (a used rig) so was proud to announce to her that I did. She wanted to see pictures of the boat so the conversation continued. We were married a year and a half after that. Our wedding gift to each other was a new boat! We "renewed our vows" this past August with a new Lund ProSport 17.

This lady loves to fish! We frequent Upper Cormorant Lake and sneak through the channel over to Nelson Lake frequently during the summer months. On our first vacation together on Upper Cormorant before being married (staying at the End of the Road Resort) I told her about the rumor of this huge northern that had been caught several times in Nelson. She immediately named him "Walter".

Well, she has caught "Walter" a couple of times!!! The first time she was not ready, drag was too tight and we only caught sight of him 10 feet away from the boat. A tremendous leap out of the water and he was gone. She cursed herself for not having the drag set right. But she laughed (and trembled) at what she had seen!

Last summer we met "Walter" again. This time she was prepared. It was a 80 degree flat water afternoon. Not the most exciting day, when her reel suddenly started burning! "Walter" was on! 10 minutes of excitement!!! "Walter" was alongside of the boat for a good measurement, quick hook release and he was out there to excite us again another day.

The look in my wife's eyes was enough to convince me that if she says "Let's go fishing" I'm not gonna turn her down.

By the way, when I asked her to marry me, she accepted with three conditions: The we get married on the water, near the water or by the water! We were married on the waters edge at End of The Road Resort seven years ago this past January.

I love my fishing partner!

I have a great wife who loves to be out in the boat, On our honeymoon we paddled into vermillion trout and spent a few days camping and fishing. we made the trips a few more times in the next few years until the kids showed up. smile.gif we still going camping and fishing as often as time permits.

O

I have a great wife who loves to be out in the boat, On our honeymoon we paddled into vermillion trout and spent a few days camping and fishing. we made the trips a few more times in the next few years until the kids showed up. smile.gif we still going camping and fishing as often as time permits.
in fact this last weekend we were up north of brimson camping and fishing.
O

I personally would never take my wife and girlfriend fishing at the same time.......

My fiancee likes to go fishing with me sometimes, She loves the water, and the wildlife, She is a quick learner when it comes to fishing but she doesn't have the patience if she doesn't get fish right away. She thinks it is fun to use pretty colored lures, pinks and purples, She can cast and set the hook better then some of my guy friends that have been fishing for years. AJ

A word of caution here. If you are going to bring your wife or girlfriend fishing, don't bring them both on the same day. Trust me on this one.

My wife out fishes me every time. LOL I don't know what it is but we can be using the same rod, reel, line and bait, and she still out fishes me.

I've been married for almost twenty... four, seven....um NINE years. In 1975 we each expressed our dislikes. By mutual agreement she promised never to make me go dancing and I promised never to make her go fishing. Everything has worked out well.

Negotiation.....help a lawyer starve.

I need to find a girl that likes the outdoors. I have had a run of bad ones lately.
Seems like all the ugly ones & taken ones hang out together
And all the good looking ones are well..... not interested in fishing/hunting.
oh well more money for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes and No.... I fish with my wife and I enjoy the time but there is also something to be said that hunting and fishing with the boys is an entirely different experience and can be compromised when a wife and or girlfriend is around. Now if you are not into that type of environment then by all means take her along....

JegerJack

------------------
"What the old man trade for these guys... A used puck bag..."

Hiya,

Wife #1 hated it when I went fishing, had no respect at all for my involvement in the fishing business, and never understood my passion for it. Worst of all though, she never tried to understand it.

Finally, I got the ultimatum. Sell all your stuff and quit fishing, or I'm outa here. It's me or the fish. I told her my first clear memory was catching a smallmouth, and I'd been fishing for a lot longer than I'd known her. Hasta la vista, baby.

A couple months later I met a mom at the daycare center where our kids went. She was a single mom, I was a (new) single dad, and our kids were best buddies. Took the kids to a couple movies together, sort of hit it off... A few months later I took her ice fishing for the first time. Set her up in my portable, showed her how the LX-3 worked so she could see her jig and the sunfish, then went out to punch some more holes. After abotu 10 trips back to the shack to take off her fish, I finally got ready to fish myself. Sat down, reached over to grab the flasher and she said "hey - don't touch that..." She now 'claims' it every time we ice fish. I gotta buy her her own this winter. We got married at my lake cabin in June (location was her idea) came in for the wedding by boat (her idea) and went to Ontario for a week of muskie and smallie fishing on our honeymoon (her idea).

Now she fishes with me quite a bit. Loves muskie fishing, is wild about smallies, and can't wait for early ice crappies. She understands that I want to go alone or with the 'boys' sometimes, and has no problem with me blowing out of town Friday night for the weekend to go fish, as long as I take her with sometimes. When I called her from the cabin this weekend, she immediately asked for the fishing report. When I told her (caught one nice muskie, lost a 30 pounder at the boat, saw 25 or so others, and whacked the walleyes) she said "I'm jealous!" Asked her what she was doing, and she said "Reading the new Outdoor News." Meeting her is what's known as "landing on your feet."

I'm beyond lucky. I met someone who loves to fish. But, honestly, having someone that's nuts about it isn't a requirement. What I learned more than anything in Marraige #1 is that more important than anything is having someone that respects your passion for it, even if they don't share it. Fishing and hunting isn't for everyone. If they appreciate that it's part of how you live your life, it'll work out. If they see it as choosing fishing over them every time you hook up the boat, you've got troubles. It all comes down to respect...

Cheers,
RK

My wife is by my side when ever she can be. She loves to fish and hunt just as much as I do. She often catches more fish then I do, so it is to have her with.

------------------
Keep the lines wet!

Woodman

Today's Tackle
Air Plugs

I took my wife walleye fishing for the first time this summer and she pulled in a 23 inch walleye. I don't think she understood how excited she should be until she saw my excitment. I think that she is getting more interested all the time. By all means take them if they want to go!!

My wife goes ice fishing with me all the time. She really doesn't like fishing all that much, she just like the hangin out part of it.

She only goes when we are in the big house. It's toasty warm, lots of room, plenty of grub and beer, etc. She never goes out in the portable. That's when I take the kids.

For sure, take the wife/girlfriend with if she wants to go. I got my wife into bass fishing and it was priceless to see the smile on her face when she held up a nice 19" largemouth. Then 10 minutes later she holds up a 20" with an even bigger smile! As others have mentioned, she usually catches bigger fish than I do also. I tell her its because she gets the front of the boat grin.gif .

I keep a couple bass books & such in the bathroom. One day on the water she says, "shouldn't we use something red since thats the color bass can see best"? She is hooked!

It also works nice when your trying to sneak a new rod into the garage and she catches ya. Quick thinking, "honey look at the new rod I bought you. This one is much better for pulling the bass out of the weeds!" After you have bought her all new rods she will understand why you need them. Works good for tackle also.

Good luck,

Granny

This is a 20" smallie pig that my fiancee caught tonight. It was the biggest fish of her life. It jumped 3 times she released it and you can tell by the photo that she was pumped.
47b4ce30b3127ccea8348bf6a0c70000001610

My wife never wants me to go, if it takes away any time from the family she gets mad. I mostly go bass fishing very early in the morning before work or I go walleye fishin at night when everyone is sleeping. So basicly I give up sleep to fish. Then when I get home from work and say I am tired she says "then you should not go fishin in the morning". Or she will be mad if I am tired and want to go to sleep. We have 4 young kids so taking the wife is not much of an option yet. but I cant wait for the day I can get her out in the boat and relax. wish me luck, any advise would be appreciated. ff

I love my wife, but she has no interest in fishing/hunting, etc. She says it's too boring. I did manage to get her to go out with me about a month ago. She said she would go if she "could read". Oh well, at least she went with me. Maybe I can get her to snuggle up in the portable this winter. Maybe we could do more than read! smile.gif

later ~piker