• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Colleges

gundy89

I would recomend St. Cloud. Right in the middle of the state. Close enough to the cities to make a quick trip home, yet far enough to stay away. Excellent smallmouth fishing ON campus, plus plenty of lakes in the area that have everything you want to catch. You can even head out to the quarries to catch some trout or a glimpse of a co-ed. I spent 5 years up there and had a great time for the most part. Nothing better than heading down to the river in the evening and catching some fish. I lived with 3 guys that went into law enforcement. All opted for warmer weather, but could've had jobs in MN. Two cops and one working for immigration. The website is www.stcloudstate.edu. Good luck with your decision.

You really need to check into the Minnesota Police Corps. They have a website. Just do a search from google and you'll see it.

Vermillion CC in Ely is right in the middle of an outdoors Mecca. Some of the states best fishing and hunting. BWCAW is right there. That would be the place for me

Reefdawg

First, be sure to find out what the minimum physical qualifications are for a law enforcement career. You should be able to get this info from the Minnesota Post Board (Minnesota Police Officer Standards and Training). Things such as hearing, eyesight, cronic illnesess and physical disabilities MAY BE a factor. Some schools may not screen or advise students in advance that they are not physically qualified, but will take your tuition and provide the education. I'm not trying to scare you, but sometimes people want something so bad they fail to accept a reality. Good luck.

If you want to fish and hunt while going to school and get a competitive education you don't really need to make any sacrifices around this area. St. Cloud State is competitive, but so is Minnesota State at Moorhead. They have a CJ program with a bit of liberal slant, but I know a lot of good cops from there. North Dakota State's program is also good, but not leaning towards a Minnesota career. The Detroit Lakes area is 45 minutes away, and all of ND to hunt.

UND at Grand Forks has a CJ program and a Forensic Science major. The best walleye fishery in the nation right now is right down Highway 2 at Devils Lake, and you're a relativley short drive from Lake of the Woods. You won't get MN Law and Procedure at these ND schools, which is important if you're focused on a Minnesota career.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're up to it you are way better off in the long run going for your bachelors instead of the two year programs. If you're in high school now you may as well stay in school for four years, because no agency is going to hire you at 20 years of age right out of a tech school. The jobs in Minnesota are too few and too competitive for that right now, and the reshuffling since 9/11 has settled down.

Just FYI so you know where I'm coming from, my hometown is near St. Cloud, I got my BA at Moorhead State and I run training, hiring and recruiting for my agency. I haven't regretted a single step. While I was in school I met other students from the region and hunted and fished all over the Detroit Lakes and Pelican Rapids areas.

Suprised no one has mentioned Bemidji State yet. Talk about a fishermans paradise!!...It drew me in....and liked the fishing so much I decided to stay here!

Good luck in your decision.

I was going to say Bemidji State too. My buddies went there while I stayed in the city. Went up there for some great perch and eye fishing all winter long. Not many colleges are actually on prime lakeshore.

I was wondering what 4 year colleges are out there for someone interested in law enforcement. prefferably ones that have good surrounding lakes and natural area. far from St.Paul would be great but i want one in this state. thanx in advance.

------------------
My dad looks like Al Linder, does that make me a better fisherman?
I believe so.

I received my BA from UMD a few years back. Classmates of mine then went on and took their skills training during the summer in Hibbing at the Community College. Both are very good programs. Both areas have ample outdoor resources.

My buddy just graduated from winona in crimial justice. Before that he did 4 yrs in the marines
He got a job within 6 months after graduation.

His older brother is also in law enforcement as a FBI agent for the IRS

He too went to winona

Another good law school is St. Cloud if you can stay out of trouble there.

I've heard Hibbing has a good school. is that true ro have you heard things.

------------------
My dad looks like Al Linder, does that make me a better fisherman?
I believe so.

You do not need to attend a 4 year school to get a degree in law enforcement. You can go to numerous tech schools which will train you. If you decide you want to go further and work for the FBI BCA etc, I would recommend getting a four year degree. Hibbing and Alexandria both have good schools. Many others are out there as well. Good luck!

What about Inver Hills they also have a law program. I was thinking about going there. Any one heard any good or bad about that school?

[This message has been edited by SCUMFROG (edited 09-24-2004).]

I went to UMD and loved it. A real good buddy of mine was in criminal justice and then went on to be a highway patrol. Duluth is a nice place to be if you like the outdoors. It is a good chance to spend four years fishing a great lake, the BWCA is not that far away, the Lake Superior National Forest has great grouse and deer hunting, and you can even try your hand at smelting in the spring.

Bemidji State used to have a pretty good program. One of my friends was in the program and interned with the city police. Some pretty interesting stories from the late shift.

Also had friends who when through the Hibbing program, too. They're longtime members of the IFalls police force.

I earned my CJ degree from Bemidji State. While I was there, it was a challenging program with excellent instructors. I've heard the program has changed quite a bit since? It is a great school and I had the time of my life. smile.gif I still visit Bemidji a lot as I have family there (met my wife while going to school).

If you like to hunt and fish, it can't be beat IMO.

Good luck in your decision.

I would check into Bemidji State University! I graduated from there and also earned my Masters from there in Education. I had a buddy graduate from the CJ program and he loved it.

If you want fishing year round you best check out BSU grin.gif

------------------
Keep the lines wet!

Woodman

Today's Tackle
Air Plugs

Wow, seems like we have quite a few Beavers in the house... Got to love it. I got my degree from there as well. However, it was not in Crim Justice.. I will say, I to met my wife up there and love to go back and visit.. One of the saddest days was moving away from Bemidji!

IM looking to go to BSU. So far its my #1 choice if I get accepted (knock on wood). That shouldnt be a problem though.

All I can see is me on the lake and not in class. Lol, thats prolly not good. tongue.gif Ice fishing will probably be the best and the easiest for me. Since Im not sure if Im going to have a boat yet (at least the first year). Im looking forward to it too.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

If you are dead set on Criminal Justice I will offer you some advice, it is up to you to take it or leave it. First off I attended St. Cloud State majoring in Criminal Justice. If you truly want a great CJS education St. Cloud is the place to go, they have a very experienced staff and are a highly accredited institution. Secondly if you plan on continuing into law enforcement I would suggest Alexandria Technical College for you SKILLS portion, again the staff is second to none and Alex is a great place to spend the summer.

However my biggest piece of advice for you would be to go to a four year college and get a more marketable degree, ie business. This way you have a back-up plan for the extremely competetive job market if you find it difficult to get a job or you find out you don't like policing. The reason I say this is because Alexandria offers a career transition program for people with existing bachelor degrees other than CJS. This program allows a student to take one semesters worth of policing type classes and then participate in the summer SKILLS program. By completing this career transition program you will be elligible for the MN POST licensing exam and able to start your law enforcement career. The reason I say this is from experience. I found that after getting married and starting a family policing would not be an option for me, I also can't stand beurocracy and policing is full of it. By getting a bachelor degree you will make yourself more marketable and will be elligible for more promotions if you decide to stay in policing.

Good Luck on whatever you decide.

I graduated from MSU a little over a year again. Would have been a little over three years ago if the fishing wasn't so good!

I'm currently enrolled in Law enforcement at Minnesota West, Wothington. It is a 2 year program that started last year. Great area if you like to hunt pheasants, ducks or deer. The fishing is ok too. Here is the instructor's name etc.
Michael Parks
Law Enforcement Coordinator
MNWest Community College
Worthington Campus
1-800-657-3966 ext.3405

Can anybody tell me a good school for marine mechanics. I wanna work on boat motors snowmoblies ATVs ect Thanks for the info

Big Fish Hunter247