• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Full Moon!

Navigator

SO, I believe most people know about night trolling for walleyes during this period, but did you know that bass are active too... I plan on chasing both species on central MN lakes next week.

Hmmm, it's a tough choice.... top waters are still producing big bass, but on the other hand the chance of catching a big walleye while pulling cranks is tempting. If you had to pick a time to get in on the biggest fish of the year....full moon is it! Just ask my customers...most of whom have booked for this period, again!

Central MN lakes to consider for either bass or walleyes under a full moon: Mille Lacs, Gull, Minnewaska, Koronis, Big Birch. Look for an Alumacraft 175cs Magnum if you are out during this period and say hi.

Good luck. Nav

Ricks_smallie.jpg
Drews_eye.jpg
Jons_eye.jpg
RandyH_eye.jpg
This was an overcast day and the fish came from 4' of water.

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

I agree Midnight trolling for eyes is the best! I have yet to catch anything over 22" yet but this fall I definitly want to break that mark.
My best was during the Full moon nights in late July. We had one night when we pulled up 8 eyes from 16" to 22". We also caught about a half dozen nice smallies trolling. We trolled from 10pm to 3:30am.
I guess one thing I should try is top water under full moon for some smallies. I bet that would be a blast too!

I normally fish Green Lake at night for eyes since its close to home. But I wouldnt mind trying to hit Koronis or Rice Lake and give them a shot, since they are kinda in range for me. I cant wait to get back out on the water again for a nice night of fishing!

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

I was out during the full moon but didn't have any luck trolling. I had my luck jigging a shiner on a fireball glow-jig. Drifted across a weedline area that goes from 8-14 feet that I knew held fish from past experience.

If you know of an area that holds fish, it may be better to concentrate that area instead of trolling. Trolling is great for unfamiliar areas or when you just want to cover more ground. Just wanted to point out other options under the moon.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Definitely a time to be out. Spent two night on the water this past weekend. Was a bit slow but still managed some nice fish including a few very nice smallies. It'll only get better.

Borch

I've never tried trolling for night eyes. How deep or shallow do you troll on a full moon? Do they stay near the shore? Are they in deep water but near the surface? I know it depends but I'm looking for a general rule of thumb.

Thanks ~piker

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It does really depend. But generally we're talking 5-7 ft. Sometimes deeper. Often times shallower.

Borch

Hi Navigator if you hit Gull at night, drop me an email on whether it was good/bad. Our day bite has been great. I don't need any specifics just a general good or bad. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Jason Erlandson

------------------
Dave's Sportland Bait and Tackle
Sportland Guide Service
Hwy 371 & Cty Rd 13
Nisswa MN

218-963-2401

[email protected]

I am interested in when you guys have your best luck during the full moon period and where was the moon when your best action occurs.

I personally have done well during the day during the full moon period before the moon is up. Even if this is in the late afternoon. I have seen the fish completly turn off once the moon is up.

Do you have more success when you moon is rising or setting, gone or up?

• 4 weeks later...

Time to revisit this thread....ahhh what a fun time of the year to catch decent fish! Nav

DSC00437.jpg
nite_eye2.jpg
nite_eye.jpg
Combo_time.jpg

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes