• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

VHF Marine Radios

Just curious, how many of you carry and monitor a VHF radio in your boat?

I never have before, but am having one installed this week for personal purposes; in planning for that, I've been reading up on them, and am wondering how many of you have them and what you think of them.

Although I don't have a marine band radio in my boat, I have used them for years for hunting. Have one in my truck as well as a hand-held unit. They beat the heck out of your ave. two-way radios. Weather reports 24-hrs a day. Great range with the 25 watt units.

I have one in my boat. Weather info is nice. I bought mine for safety but many of the lakes I'm one I think very few others have them. They come in handy for thanking a cruiser for leaving a giant wake wink.gif

One thing to check on is where they can be used. I may be mistaken but I think you are only supposed to use marine band radios on the water only and on land use is not permited. I tried a google search but didn't come up with anything quickly. Just an FYI Cooter so you don't get into any trouble, although it's probably enforced like the GMRS channels on two-way radios.

they work well, I have one on my boat and would not buy a boat with out one. Most of the lakes I fish are big, lake of the woods, leech, mille lacs. If one mostly fishes smaller lakes it's not as important but still fun to have. They work great, if you have 2 boats fishing the same lake so you can talk back and forth.

------------------
great fishing to all

fivebucks is correct, you are not supposed to use marine vhf on land.

I've had a marine band radio for several years. It gets the most use when I'm with a group of friends that also have them in their boats. I also use it some on Lac Seul - the camp and the guides talk back and forth, and we often have to relay messages due to distance - and you can pick up some houseboat chatter which is occassionally amusing. Also pick up a lot of chatter on Lake Pepin, and occasionally on Mille Lacs and Winnie.

My wife doesn't like fishing with the antenna up - she says it gets in her way.

The antenna is key with your marine radio! If you can afford it get the one with the solid tube and no coil on the end. The coils break easier in rough conditions or just when hitting things on the boat. Solid ones get much better reception too.

do they make those antennas in 2-piece? i went with a 5ft one but broke that and want a 8 footer but when laying down it extends past the end of the boat and would conflict with the boat cover. i cant seem to find a 2 piece antenna

I havent seen a 2 piece. I have seen telescoping antenas but I dont know how good they are.