• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Encasing a lure in something

say_der

If you wanted to encase a favorite lure in acrylic (or similar clear substitute) as a decoration, how would you go about doing it? I want to have full coverage around it, not just a little glass case, that won't work for what I want it for.

I'm guessing encasing it in epoxy wouldn't work well - the epoxy could be harsh on the lure's finish.

Whatever I would use, I'd like to be able to shape & polish to have it nice & clear.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Use Devon II 2 ton epoxy. Take the hooks off and use a wire in the front and rear eyes to elevate and support your work.
Brush it on then turn it till it cures. Its very important to turn the lure to keep the epoxy from sagging.
All the brush Stokes will smooth out.
I use a battery powered rotisserie motor I converted to a rod and lure turner.

Will that allow me to create a "block" around the lure? Like a clear brick? That's what I'm looking for, not something I will ever use again in the water.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that before.

Thanks for any advice.

You certainly don't want to use an epoxy. With exposure to UV, epoxies will darken, turning more and more amber and becoming more and more brittle.

I believe those blocks are made of an acrylate. Which one and where available, I'm not sure.

Tim

Yes;

They are acrylic.........You will have to find an injection molding shop.........And to do "custom" work will be very spendy...........very spendy.........

If you are still interested, I can find you a couple of shops I used to work with........But again, we are talking hundreds of dollars here..........

I remember back in shop class in school we encased whatever item we wanted (coin, marble, what have you) in a clear acrylic material. We poured it into a cup then placed the item in and filled it to the desired height we wanted. Let it set up and peel the cup away and buff the sides. Never darkened and that was 15 years ago. Maybe ask around a school shop to get the mixture info. Can't cost too much as we had a lot of kids making them. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

[This message has been edited by FISHER ED (edited 08-20-2004).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ahh yes, I was thinking you wanted a clear coat. Yep I remember the paper weights in shop class made from acrylic.

BTW some of the high end custom lure makers use Devcon II 2 ton epoxy for the non-yellowing quality it has along with being a very hard and durable top coat and the way it makes a paint job Pop.

Surface Tension,

One of Devcon's 2 ton epoxy main constituents is diglycidyl ether bisphenyl A. Epoxies containing this yellow over time with exposure to UV. You can load them up with UV inhibitors to extend the length of time, but they still will yellow.

Tim

A coin.......yes........fairly easy.......

However, I picturing a lure, such as an old rapala.........With all the "bends, curves, pockets, whatnot"..........how are you going to get all the airpockets out?

Also, how are you going to get it "balanced and centered"????

It would almost have to be a 2 stage process.

The first process is where you fill half way, and one the acrylic starts to set a bit and the viscosity gets a little thicker, lay the lure in it. You would almost have to use light, clear mono on the front and back of the lure to keep it straight and level. These lines would have to extend past the "case" to keep tension. The acrylic will "hide" the strings if you use clear mono.......Flourocarbon comes to mind.........

Once it is "set", then you would want to pour the rest of the acrylic over the top......

The only problem with all of this.........is that it is a one time deal..........no going back........flip of the coin....for it will either work or it won't............no inbetweens and no stopping mid-process.............

Try a trophy shop. The better ones can do this for you. I don't know how much it costs, but the examples I've seen are very good.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.