• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Electric Fish Barrier

I work for a concrete pipe company. We Are currently making 3 box culverts that are going to be used for an electric fish barrier. They will be installed in a water section between two lakes in SW MN. When they are installed electric probes will be hooked up to each. Water will flow through the inside of the sections.

When the electrical current is ran through the water inside the boxes it will temporarily stun the fish, and they will float back to the lake from wich they came. The theory is that it will train them to not want to swim to the other lake. I am not sure what kind of fish they are trying to keep out of the lake, but I thought it was kind of an interesting approach.

Scott

To bad we can't install something similar at the U.S. borders so the terrorists get stunned and float back to where they came from...

I have heard of electric fish barriers before, I think at one time they were considering using them on the Mississippi
so that asian carp did not go farther north.

You wouldn't happen to know which 2 lakes in SW MN, would ya?

Those barriers you are making are probably going to be used to stop those Asian carp that are migrating up the river systems. A few weeks ago one of the local news programs had a piece explaining what the DNR was planning to do to stop these from moving farther north.

Do you know if they have killed off the lake upstream? They use that type of set up to keep the "rough fish" from entering the lake. Once they kill all of the fish in the upstream lake they will set the barrier up and then stock the lake with the fish of their choice (usually the most suitable game fish for the lake). Hope it works!

"...they were considering using them on the Mississippi so that asian carp did not go farther north."

Saw a report on 20/20 or 60 minutes or some show like that last week. They did not mention anything about the eletric fence. But they did mention something about a "bubble" fence. It was to be put accrost the river in about Lake City and when the Asian Carp was to come up on it they are supposed to swim the other way and stop their process.

I agree with the fence @ Borders....
This was to cost something to the toon of $30,000,000

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

[This message has been edited by taxmancommeth (edited 08-19-2004).]