• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tournament fisherman, and fishingmn.com

I just thought this might be a good conversation topic.

More and more of us, who used to be purely "recreational" fisherman, are now "tournament" fisherman, where both ego and money, the two major driving forces of the male homo sapiens, is on the line.

I think there are pros and cons to this, and I wanted to get your opinion, and what you think the pros and cons are.

I'll start it off with a couple of the simple pros and cons:

Pros: Because of the challenge/competition, tourny fishers really do "push the envelope" and test techniques and tactics that can benefit all.

Cons: Because tourney fishers are so paranoid someone else might catch their fish, they keep certain pertinant information held super-secret and refuse to share (many times including the lake name).

Your thoughts?

I have fished my first open water tournyies ever this year. These are "friendly" tournies where little money is involved. Not gonna make me or break me.

I really like the tourny mindframe I get in. The prefishing, the game plan and adjusting on the fly when all that falls apart.

At this level I don't think ego plays much into it, ok maybe slightly. But do I think that if I have a good day means I am a better fisherman than others? NO! It just means I found a more productive game plan for that day in particular. One of my worst tournies this year was on my "home" lake. Emabarrassing, a little. but it is one of the reasons I wanted to get into tournies. Force me to change the regular routine fish other species I normally wouldn't and learn how to go at a lake that I havent fished much.

I am guilty of holding back info regarding a upcoming lake. And guilty of directly misleading to other tourny members about where and how I got em, when asked during the tourny. Do I feel good about this? NO! I wish I had said "ask me after the event". Should I even have been asked during the touney? Probably not.

I do feel for the locals when we come to "their" lake and fill the landings when the are 2 or 3 different tounies at the same time.

------------------
I'd rather be skunked than follow the crowd!

Brian Rogers

JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by BDR (edited 08-12-2004).]

My thoughts? Right now I've been thinking about it alot! grin.gif
As far as pros and cons, I'm not so sure. I do know that I love to fish, and I'd love to make money doing something that I love to do. I guess I think it'll be too difficult or something to start tournament fishing. I really need to stop procrastinating and check into it. Do you need sponsors? Anyone want to sponsor me?? grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

For thousands of years fishing has been perhaps the purest passtime bestowed on people...

My personal opinion is that the competition and commercialization that tournaments bring to fishing don't do the resource or passtime justice. For me, fishing is about escaping from everyday life and just listening to what the lake, river, and woods have to say. I don't know how tournament fishing can possibly accomodate that, but I do know that it can blind people to the spiritual and theraputic side of fishing. I guess anything people can do, people can make competitive. Not my bag.

I have nothing much to offer in the tournament light, other then it sounds too expensive for me...

On the topic of sharing hot lakes and such, I have been out, I've had very good fishing, and the only reason I'd hesitate to tell people about it is, because I want a place to park :lol: . Plenty of fish out there, the parking is the real "overfished" area wink.gif

I can definatly see both side to this. I am kind of stuck in the middle on this one. I agree with the fact that the reason why people fish and even start fishing is to have a relaxing pastime, which is great. But at the same time people such as myself are born with a competetive nature that is tough to hide. Tourny fishing is great for the sport in the way that it more times than not supports catch and release, fills gas stations and motel rooms in little towns, and promotes the sport itself. But from what I have seen, it is pretty near impossible to get a start and make a name for yourself in tourny fishing without the cash to get in, because anyone who has been around some tournys know it takes the equipment to compete as well, which defeats the purpose of competing with skill. And God knows that you wont get rich doin AAA tournys. I can definatly see why locals get a little annoyed on certain lakes that host tournys on most weekends in a summer

First I should say that I have not fished any of the "big" tourney series but have been competing in several leagues and fishing contests on a regular basis for a few years now.
The biggest reason I decided to fish competitevly was not to stroke my ego,but,to test my skills.Don't get me wrong...I love to win, but its not about that for me.It was kind of gauge to see how I compare to other anglers.Still is that way.
Competitve fishing also make me work harder at trying to catch fish.It makes me think harder about what I am doing and what might work best.When I am just out recreational fishing,I would most likely just think to myself "fish aren't biting" and be accept it.I believe a guy learns more when your competing.When there is something on the line.

All that being said I still love just "tying a string to my toe" type fishing,and do it as often as I can.Just enjoying a day on the water is just as rewarding to me as winning a contest.

I think tourneys definetly kick things up a notch or two and the thrill of competing against other fishermen is always exciting, especially when there is $$$ to be won. My biggest drawback is fishing on the clock and having to hustle to make the weigh-in, it takes the enjoyment out of the game. I fished the Cabela's Nat'l Championships on Millelacs a couple years back and it was really fun to be a part of the whole thing but while fishing my partner and I both caught 27 inch walleyes, we measured them, cussed that they weren't big enough to be money fish and released them. Looking back, if it was any other day I would have proudly held those fish up for photo with a great big smile on my face but because we were on the clock those fish just got in the way and took up valuable time-that is not how I want my fishing to be.
redhooks

As stated by many above: Tournament fishing is very educational. You are forced to think and work hard to find fish. Good luck with the idea of making money doing this. Most "PRO" big time "PRO" anglers do not make a living fishing. Most have businesses to support their love. As my knowledge increases I believe I will become more involved in MN tournament fishing. Right most of my entries are simply contributions!