• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Stores vs. Small Shops? Where do you shop?

Wave Runner

Fred's Bait Shop in Deer River?
Lucky 7 on the way to red, ring the door bell, they wake up to get you bait, gotta love that. Otherwise, I buy my tackle, rods, etc through BPS.com, they are much cheaper and have awesome deals, (i get 20% off at sportsmen's) so you know they have deals there. plus youdont pay sales tax either.
Best Fishes
Chris

I agree that Bluewater is a great place. The 5-6 times I have gone to Bemidji's Gander Mtn, I have been over/undercharged EVERY TIME. Everytime I go there, I end up waiting an extra 5-10 minutes to correct their overcharging. They do a horrible job of stoking shelves, as they put items in the wrong spot all the time (hence the overcharging)

STick with Bluewater. Maybe a little more expensive with bait, but its hassle free!

I stick to the smaller local shops, in the community where I live. They pay my salary (through their taxes), so I need to help pay theirs.

They don't often have the larger ticket items on hand (the smaller shops can have a tough time carrying tens of thousands of dollars in inventory), but they can order them - usually one or two days - and be very price competitive with the big guys (because they know they have a quick turnaround).

More knowledgeable, better service, local guys...the smaller ones beat the bigger ones all the time. Side note...I avoid Wal-Mart in its entirety, because I find their business practices very distasteful.

I used to own a custom rod shop with a reel repair facility attached. The large stores and mail order ate me alive and combined with the local economy put me under. One local discount sporting goods store with 43 store buying power sold Mitchell 300 reels for less than I paid for them. I later found out how. Each store in the chain bought 500 Mitchell 300's at a time. The sad thing about it is that the people in this city, 150,000, lost my expertise and aquired skills and there is still no reel repair facility here and **** few quality rod repair folks. The people in Sidney Ne don't spend any money in our city, but we sure spend a lot there. Save $10.00 on a reel but throw it away for lack of a bail spring. Deesn't make sense.

My budget doesn't make it economically feasable to shop at the small mom and pop's stores. I get most of my stuff at Fleet or Wally world. I always shop for a bargain and I seldom to never need advice on equipment as I research the stuff I buy online. If I won the lottery I would still shop for bargains (I grew up in a home with depression era folks.)
God lyk!

It is tough at times but I try to hit these shops for most things.

Marine General in Duluth
Fisherman's Corner Duluth
And Fred's in Deer River.

Thorne Bro's in friendly Fridley is by far ONE of the best suppliers.Everything I buy is from there.Anyone who does hard water has got to try a "sweet heart" rod.They can also spin a custome rod for you.Talk to Pat Smith,he know's his stuff.You name a lake,he'll tell ya where to fish. smile.gif

------------------
Greg

I would have to say the ma and pa shop for obvious reasons. When I was young I used to shop Gander etc. but as I have gotten older I have come to realize the value of gas and even more so the value of TIME. Most ma and pa stores are not that much more expensive and many will give even better deals than the box stores if you are buying a lot of stuff, like stocking up for the season. It's funny that someone mentioned buying things like augers, fish houses etc. from box stores when I know for a fact that these large items are usually the same price if not lower at small stores, and if you need help changing blades or putting the house together it is usually available. A big thank you to the guys that support us little guys I really appreciate it.

Tom

I try to buy at the small shops but if not I will go up to the medium shops that keep the money in MN or WI. Fleet, Gander and Scheels are what I call medium size. I can remember when Scheels was a mom and pop store!

I never, and I mean never shop at any store that has the word "mart" in their name. Man, that place is just bad for the locals.

------------------
It still beats workin'

Jason, Where is your bait shop in Nisswa? I drive there every once in a while and would like to shop and/or pick up some bait.

Corey Bechtold

Sorry guys but I want to shake things up a little here. Seems like most everybody will support mom & pop bait/tackle/sporting good shops or whatever. Now I'm just as guilty as probably everyone is, but what about frequenting mom & pop "other" stores.

Grocery, hardware, restaurants, gas stations, flower shops, lumberyards, car repair shops, car dealers, boat dealers, bakeries, or small engine repair shops

Theoretical situation-- I pump my gas at Holiday, buy my lumber at Menards, get my groceries at Cub Foods, buy my electronics at Best Buy, but absolutely refuse to shop at Cabela's or Gander Mountain because I'm going to give all my outdoor money to the mom & pop shops. Hmmm... How many people can relate to a scenario like that? I know I can. I'm guilty of it just like probably 95% of the people that have posted in this topic.

This topic reminds me of one of my favorite Alan Jackson songs- "Little Man" Sometimes I think that we've driven out all of the little men.

I love Thorne Bros.
I shop Thorne Bros.
I recommend Thorne Bros.

But...I respectfully disagree that they will beat any price. In my experience, Thorne Bros. prices run high(at least on the items I shop), but the experiece behind the prices is invaluable; that's why I shop at Thorne Bros.

If you just want the tackle, go to a "Super" store. If you want the information/knowledge that goes with it(I sure need it), go to the other guys.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

Buzbunni hit the nail on the head.I may spend $60.00 and leave with 2 lures BUT,whae I leave Thorne Bros.I know more than I did when I first walked through the door.

------------------
Greg

I spend my money all over. Mostly Gander though as they normally have what I want, but this year has been different. I can't find the jigs that I want. Wouldn't it be cool to make your own lures? Like jigs and spinnerbaits. Cranks could be tough. That could be a topic starter by itself.

I think we all shop at both.For bait we go to the mom & pop stores. If we are in shoping with the wife we swing into the gander's and galyan's and pick up some tackle.
I had thought about starting a bait shop in St.Boni Hwy 7 & 92 but after talking to a couple bait shops around tonka this sounds like a very tough business.One told me there are less people fishing.That 80% of people that buy a license use it only one time.

I try to shop the smaller places if I can & I'm willing to buy a lot of my tackle there as I need it. I buy bait wherever it's convenient & try to keep it on hand at home so I don't have to run & get it before every outing, as I live 10 miles from town & often don't go by a town on my way to a lake. It's tough not to buy jigs & crankbaits at Walmart or Fleet, when they're so much cheaper & I'm there for other things anyway. That's just my world as our town has very little in the way of that kind of stuff. Plus most people that have been to the Alexandria Walmart comment that it's a lot better store then most of the Walmarts.

I try to shop the Mom & Pops if they're decent. If you walk into the place & it's dirty & run down & you have to wait for the person to "get around" to helping you, not because they're busy, they don't really deserve your business. Unfortunately we've got a local shop like that, I won't name it, but if they want your business they need to act like it.

Hi Corey, If you are ever in the area, it would be great if you stopped in. We are located north of Baxter about 12 miles on Hwy 371. We are at the first stoplights north of where Gull lake comes up next to 371, right next to Schaefers grocery store, opposite side of the highway from the waterslide.

Great post guys, very interesting!

Jason Erlandson

------------------
Dave's Sportland Bait and Tackle
Sportland Guide Service
Hwy 371 & Cty Rd 13
Nisswa MN

218-963-2401

[email protected]

Thanks for the directions Jason, I'll be sure to stop in my next time through!
smile.gif

Corey Bechtold

Deity condemn it! If everyone were to take a simple logic and critical thinking course and add that knowledge to the ups and downs of human passion, one would conclude that we are all a bunch of hippocrites! Thanks Hanson for the wake up call!
God luck!