• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Stores vs. Small Shops? Where do you shop?

Wave Runner

I own a cabin near Remer and I try to buy as much as possible from the "mom and pop" store up there. Only real big ticket items or items I can't find up north will send me to the big box stores.

When it comes to bait I pick the small stores. Everything else I have to go to the larger ones. As much as I would like to support and shop at the smaller more friendly stores it is just much cheaper at the larger stores. I am always buying at the small stores though....when your on the road and supplies are needed I guess there is not much of a choice.

I agree with Mayfly. Larger stores have more selection and lower prices.

------------------

<*)))))))><{

Small stores. More accurately...Bluewater bait in Bemidji. If Mark don't have it, he'll get it in a couple days and at a better price than the big boys.

I usually try to keep all of my major purchases to my local sports shop. Anything like guns, trolling motors, bows or anything major I can have the owner order and she can always match the prices and I can keep my business local. Small items, on the other hand, lures, camo clothes, etc. I always get at the big box stores. Sometimes I can get a dozen Rapalas at a big store for the same price as half as many at the small store. That adds up pretty quick.

Most of the bait shops around the cities (at least in my area) are staffed by 18 year old zombies. So, I buy bait at bait shops, and tackle at tackle shops. Up north, the better ones seem to have knowledgeable and helpfull people to help you out with your bait and tackle needs.

PS, the exceptions to my generalized remarks would be Ebners in Elk River and Anglers Paradise in Anoka.

------------------
"Nothing says business in the front and party in back like a good mullet."

I've made two purchases at Gander, and it was only after I had been to Bluewater and Mark didn't have it and I needed it now for a trip or tourney. Other than that, ALL my money goes to the little guys!!!!!!

Generally speaking----if Fleet Farm aint got it, I probably don't need it that bad.Fleet Farm "The Mans Mall"

Small shops all the way for me with the exception of when the big boys put their stuff on sale below cost to clear it out. That's the only time I'll give them my money, or should I say, take theirs.

Most of my tackle comes from Gander Mountain in Minnetonka, but everything else comes from Cabin Fever Sporting Goods in Victoria.

Matt

I try to buy bait and tackle from the little guys. On upper Red I allways stop at Hillmans store, the minnow last forever and they always steer you to the right lure and good fishing. To me this is more valuable then the money you can save at the larger stores.

IBOT #213

I am real protective of our mom and pop shops up here. It would be different if we had a million people within a fifty mile area. The owners up here have poured their lives into their stores, and to see Gander come in and threaten to put them out of business really stinks. It is sort of personal, not with the employees of Gander, but the corporation itself. I have mixed emotions because I know a few people that work there, and I hear the manager is really nice also. But they can go somewhere else if it doesn't work out. The mom and pops are DONE if it doesn't work out. I just hate to see hardship for people that don't deserve it.

It depends. For the fishing opener and hunting openers, or before first ice, I make a trip to either Fleet Farm or Walmart, I try to stay out of Cabelas, Gander, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc...but end up going to those kind of stores in a pinch. Don't like Galyans even though I've been known to stop in there every once in a while. That's for the openers and whatnot where I feel the need to bulk up on supplies. If I go fishing on a weekend and need tackle or bait, it's either H2O Sports, Joes, Cabin Fever, or any of the local shops. Any major purchase like a depth finder, GPS, trolling motor, I try to check as many places as possible and go with the cheapest.

This spring before our BWCA trip, a buddy of mine told me he had some coupons for Galyans that if you spend $100 you get $15 back, if you spend $200 you get $30 back and so on. So I waited untill we could get together to buy supplies for the trip. Ended up the coupons expired the day before we went, so I ended up paying full price AT GALYANS for all the camping supplies I needed. Good thing that I already had 80% of what I needed. I don't like how the salesman asks to put his bar code sticker on the stuff you buy so he can get his commision. It seems kind of rude. I'll never shop there again. Same with REI, they seem like yuppie shops with waaay to much markup.

I shop all over, if it has fishing tackle I'll stop in smile.gif I like to check out new tackle shops whenever I'm going on trips and the small "ma and pop" shops are some of the coolest stores. I would much rather give my money to a smaller tackle shop than a big name store like Gander Mountain or Cabelas, but I've spent my fair share at big name stores too smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

I guess it depends on;"Where I am, when I run out of, what I need MORE of". Best price/availability takes the buck.

Best of both worlds . . .
JOE'S
Big enough to offer the price and selection of the franchises.
But still a family owned local business with knowledgable, courteous staff who have been there for years.

Did you ever have anyone count every minnow one at a time? I once stopped at a baitshop for 2 dozen small suckers. The fellow counted(and handled mad.gif ) every minnow into a pail before dumping them in my bucket. I told him his math was wrong, that he only had 23 minnows in the bucket. Get this, he re-counted EVERY minnow only to find I was right then added the 24th minnow to the bucket. After 10 minutes of watching him count minnows inaccuratly, I told him to dump them back in, I didn't want them! Some people! A few extra minnows goes a loooooong way in repeat buisness, atleast in my eyes. I'd have to say my biggest pet peaves in baitshops is stingy minnow sales.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 07-27-2004).]

For Gear I actually shop around a little. Too much driving and you spend in gass what you save in product cost. Capras has very good selection for an independant store. better selection than the chains in my opinion. If I'm buying bait who ever is closest to the lake.

I agree with Chris Haley. The big stores can spell doom for the little guys. I try to support places like Bluewater as much as I can.
I can't walk into a big chain store and be greeted on a first name basis like I can at Bluewater here in Bemidji.

Lets keep the little guys alive and show them our support!

------------------
Clueless - -

Good debate!

There are some fantastic small bait & outdoor shops out there. Bluewater would be a good example. I haven't been in Bluewater for probably 10 years (Was it open 10 yrs ago??). I was a littler kid and I just remember being so impressed with that place. Streiff's between Roseau & Warroad would be another good one. I try to get to Vados in the cities as much as I can or Thorne Bros. even.

But how many of you have bought ice houses, augers, etc. from a mom & pop bait shop? I know I haven't. Gander or Cabela's for me.

Whenever I'm on a fishing trip somewhere, I try to drop at least $20 on tackle that I can't find around home. I'm always loading up on Scenic Tackle & Phelps Tackle up north.

I guess its probably 50/50 for me, big shops vs. little shops.

Another question would be how many of you skip both the big & small shops and order stuff straight off the internet??

I shop most of my shopping at gander mountain, since the GF works there, plus I like the people there, it works good for me.

That being said I'm a big person when it comes to supporting GOOD local shops, there are bad ones out there small or not. I do spend a good amount of money anytime I drop into local shop, it's the best places to get local hints and ideas, and great to pick up whatever lure, is hot in the area, and for live bait there is not better way IMO.

I don't feel I need to try and hurt anyone in the Biz, Gander does a good job providing a large selection of lures for reasonable prices. And local shops are invaluable, I value there knowledge and do not have a problem paying a bit more at times for things I need, that keeps them around, but the I don't expect them to carry a selection like gander does either.

I guess I'll shop the big guys, with no reservations, but I don't forget the little guys either, and I'll pay a bit more to support a local shop. Same idea, when I go camping or up north, I buy my groceries and supplies up up there.

Just wondering where FMers buy their supplies? Do you shop at the big outdoors stores such as Gander, Walmart, Cabelas and Mills Fleet? Or do you shop at the smaller mom and pop stores? There are benefits to both choices. The big stores offer large selections and some great sale prices but often lack the hands on knowledge or product experience. Plus the small stores many times offer live bait as well. Where do you fellas shop and why?

Jason Erlandson

------------------
Dave's Sportland Bait and Tackle
Sportland Guide Service
Hwy 371 & Cty Rd 13
Nisswa MN

218-963-2401

[email protected]

Some people in Fergus Falls opened a really nice store downtown, all the good brands of quality stuff, great gun selection, top notch clothing etc.
Then they staffed it with people who only had a passing knowledge of what was going on. Went in one day and there was a woman there who should have been doing something else. Staff constantly changing.
Store folded in two years and it was a **** shame!!

i try to support the local businessman in town when possible! i am a business owner and feel that for them to support me, i must support them.

i do have a Bass Pro Shops credit card that i earn some free money on once and a while so i do use them for some things.

Bluewater is located about a block South of the Leukens grocery store on the south end of town. I think its hwy 197. Or 2-4 blocks north of the Eagles club. Stop by and see Mark. You'll be glad you did.

If I need tackle I usually will go to a big store, not so much because of price as it's their selection.
When it comes to bait I always hit my local mom & pop shop.

Geez, nobody mentioned Thorne Bros?

They meet or beat prices and they have the best , most knowlegable people.

You can go in, drop your gun off to get it fixed, build a custom fishing rod and get some great deals and some excellent advise all in one visit!

What about Vados bait? The best bait store on the planet.

Sounds like everyone wants to support the small bait shops, but many of us view them similar to a convenience store (versus a supermarket) in prices. Except they also have friendly useful info about the local fishing.

Now, I know they could make money on pay toilets…but

If most of their customers are “once a year” people, probably have to have “convenience store” pricing?

But, sounds like some have competitive pricing. If we knew they had what we needed, and were “reasonable” in price, we’d drop more than just a token “guilt” offering. I don’t know the business, but they have potential customers in the store. I really never see much marketing, other than the very useful help of pointing out the hot lures. I believe we trust most bait shops to be fair. Maybe a “special of the week” board? Something to get us looking around more?

Do bait shops have an association? Buying group? They usually are not competing against other bait shops. Couldn’t they do something like the Ace and Hardware Hank hardware stores? They could still be (fiercely) independent, but benefit from an association sales flyer, etc.? Hey, just suggestions…