• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Product: LONG BOW spinner

Spindoctor

47b4d902b3127cceb2991f56e84f0000001610
NOT JUST A LURE:
A spinner is a group of balanced, precision components incorporated to work together as a team, creating a fish attracting tool that catches fish. If one or more of these components are of poor quality or malfunction, the performance of the devise will be undesirable to the angler, and even less desirable to the fish.
Except for the Mustad Triple Grip Hook, all components and labor used in crafting the Bow series spinners, is manufactured and carried out in the USA. This is important to me!

VERTICAL FISHING:
The desire to have a spinner that could be fished directly under a stationary boat in a vertical pattern, and maintain it’s action both on the fall as well as the retrieve, was a task presented to me by a fishing buddy, some years ago. After many attempts and failed contraptions, I found three fundamental obstacles that had to be dealt with and overcome as simple and cost effective as possible.
1) The angler had little to no control of the spinner on the fall or decent to the bottom, and became more or less a spectator. All motion and action of the spinner during the decent to the bottom had to be obtained from gravity and the design of the spinner. I found that a weight forward design worked well for getting to the bottom and on a retrieve, but unless cast out away from the boat than allowed to swing back under, line foul on a vertical decent was a big pain.
2) Line foul: whether attached to front, back or sides, without some added devise to hold it away, the line would inevitably foul in the spinning blade or hook, either on fall or retrieve. Fixed arms and such usually only worked in one direction and hampered fish hook set.
3) To go from a free-falling spinner to a force-activated retrieve type spinner, and maintain the same action, the spinner needed to physically change from one state to another almost instantly.

THE LONG BOW SPINNER: GETTING TO THE BOTTOM OF THINGS!

I could write a book on all the weird gizmos that I concocted to overcome the challenge of vertical spinning. Some of these actually worked, all were completely impractical, most challenged the patience of the angler and far exceeded the intelligence and ability of the fish.
A little over four years ago a very simple solution came to me. I attached a free swinging, wire arm into a recession at the nose of a specially designed weight forward spinner, Viola! Draw Bar technology was born! The action is simple, on the decent the draw bar swings back in position against the ledge of the recession and holds the line away from spinning blade and hook. On retrieve the draw bar straightens out and aligns itself with the spinner. The shift from fall to retrieve is accomplished with such smoothness that the spinning action remains very consistent. After all the time I spent and everything that I had tried, this seemed way, way, to simple, but my gut instinct told me that I had the solution.
The next year was, measurements, weights, and trial and error. Draw bar and body wire length, nose and body weight, as well as nose and body design came to task, and all had to be able to be assembled with consistency and be cost effective.
47b4d902b3127cceb2992492293e0000001610
Without a boat my proving grounds were limited to the waters of the Root, Cannon and Straight rivers, and the first prototype spinners proved to be Smallmouth catching machines, on several trips into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, the Long Bow Spinners were so productive on Smallies of all sizes, that we almost regarded these fish as a nuisance with many strikes coming the instant that the spinner hit the water. The Long Bow did extremely well at pulling Walleye and Sauger out of the deep pools. Northern Pike were easy prey and the spinner did ok on trout, although not as well as the Super Bow. I decided to hold off marketing the new design until I could absolutely be sure that it satisfied my vertical fishing goals. To accomplish this I gave prototypes out to trusted knowledgeable anglers for testing. Over the next couple of years I ironed out minor details and worked out small annoyances. Improvements like, Glow in the Dark body beads and coatings, were incorporated, to enhance low light visibility in deep water as well as night fishing, and a split ring mounted, replaceable, Mylar streamer tail hook, was attached to increase fish attraction. The last detail was to redesign the head to incorporate a keel in order to eliminate line twist on vertical retrieve.
47b4d902b3127cceb2995b6b69600000001610
Because of phenomenal honest reports from field testers as well as my own results, as you have probably have heard, I am releasing the new LONG BOW spinner for marketing this week. This year using the glowing Pink Long Bow spinner I have broken my own personal large fish records in Sauger, Walleye and Large Mouth Bass. I have also boated several huge Northern Pike, and in Colorado had a +20” Brown rocket out of the depths into very shallow water to snatch away the spinner only inches from the toe of my waders. So far in every outing using the Long Bow spinner I have always caught fish.

Long Bow Advantages:
1) The Long Bow can be fished from bottom to surface on almost any body of water and still maintain its fish attracting action.
2) The Long Bow can be bottom bounced and fished vertically, with full spinning action on both fall and rise and have very minimum to no line foul.
3) Vertical ability enables the Long Bow spinner to be fished through ice during Winter season.
4) The Long Bow can be buzzed over weeds to attract Bass, Pike and other such predators. (the cupped nose can make a blurping noise to aid in fish attraction)
5) The stiff wire draw bar of the Long Bow spinner not only prevents line foul but totally eliminates line twist during decent, slow retrieve, and trolling, and acts as a short steel leader when playing Pike and other sharp toothed fish.
6) The heavy nose body makes long accurate casts possible, selected colors attract fish, and keel design prevents line twist during slow troll and vertical retrieve.
7) Glow in the dark, Body beads attract fish in deep low light conditions as well as night.
8) Flashy, Mylar streamer tail moves through the water in a swimming motion on both fall and retrieve, and can be trimmed and adjusted to change the size appearance of the spinner.
9) Split ring hook mounting enables changing hook styles for bait or plastic rigging.
47b4d902b3127cceb29ac256c86d0000001610

At this time the Long Bow is available in the 3/8 ounce size and 5 colors, Florissant Hot Pink with pink streamer tail, Chartreuse with Gold streamer tail, Purple with purple/gold flash streamer tail, black with black/sliver flash streamer tail, and (not shown) White with red/gold streamer tail.
Sizes for Ice fishing and Large Predators will be available soon, as well as a larger selection of colors and patterns.
LONG BOW SPINNERS are now available on line at catch-n.com . and coming soon to other quality tackle shops around the country.
As a sponsor and to officially kick the LONG BOW spinners off, I am sending a full set of Long Bow spinners to all contestants who attended the LETS Fishing Tournament, held at Lake Francis Saturday July 18.
I am confident that the Long Bow spinner design will catch fish, perform and reflect the time and effort involved in its development and hope to hear it mentioned when fishing records are set!
Thank You!
John A. Eggers
Spindoctor

[This message has been edited by Spindoctor (edited 07-23-2004).]

Well, I'm ALWAYS willng to try out something new. Many times I'm working something that nobody has ever seen before, except for us FM guys that seam to have the inside scoop on some pretty hot tackle, AND catching alot of fish with it too.

Anyway, I believe you were discussing the Long Bow on Fish-n-Line radio when you caught my interest with a vertical presentation through the ice. This is something I'm definitely going to try this winter! Last winter I caught alot of fish through the ice on tackle that I didn't think you could catch fish on through the ice. This is definitely something I'll give a shot at.

Sorry guys... Die hard ice fisherman here! I'm always thinking about snow, even in July!

• 4 weeks later...

how can i order one of these to try? i tried looking at catchn.com and they didn't have it.

cchristensen15 *nospam* @charter *nospam* .net

remove *nospam* and join for my email addy.

Thank the Lord that the fishing inventions of the world aren't left up to me. We'd all be using nightcrawlers. Lucky there are smart fellars around like John Eggers.

I used some of the Long Bow spinners a couple weeks ago on a trip with Catch-N Tackle's Dave Hoggard. They do everything John says above. Plus, they really do catch fish.

Honestly, I'm not much of an inline spinner guy. But, the recent display of fish catching ability that I witnessed has me thinking about a conversion.

------------------
Ray Esboldt

Catch-N Tackle
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Are these available in any tackle store yet?
Going to Ely Saturday-like to give them a try.

Well, I must say that I can not put my Eggers Long Bows down... not for a minute!
I have one in the water most of the time now.
I trim the skirts... and add live bait or Bio-Bait. I love the feel of the spinner and it spins ALL THE TIME even on the fall.

You guys these are available from Catch-N Tackle right now... but are not "in the online store" on the site... yet.

To get them, you need to order in an email. See how to order at
http://catch-n.com/rigging.html
... or by phone at
507-202-0312.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard
Fish-N Line Radio

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch-N Tackle Co
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 08-27-2004).]

OOOPS... I forgot, they are 3 for $15.00 all the same color.
At this time the Long Bow is available in the 3/8 ounce size and 5 colors, Florissant Hot Pink with pink streamer tail, Chartreuse with Gold streamer tail, Purple with purple/gold flash streamer tail, black with black/sliver flash streamer tail, and (not shown) White with red/gold streamer tail.
You may order them here:
http://catch-n.com/rigging.html

47b4d902b3127cceb29ac256c86d0000001610

Catch'n
Dave Hoggard
Fish-N Line Radio

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch-N Tackle Co
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 08-27-2004).]

Gordy... I just spoke to you on the phone.

Sir, if you want to do so, please come to the KYMN Radio station in Northfield Thursday morning at 9:00am to meet me. I'll bring some Eggers Long Bows with me to give you to try... for FREE! Sorry, that I was not able to get hold of John Eggers in time to accomidate you with an order of these... for your one big trip "up North" this weekend.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard
Fish-N Line Radio

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch-N Tackle Co
Used by FishingMN Family

You don't have to use a leader with the Long Bow but the action won't be havily effected if you do. I like t fish them without a leader personally, the extended wire that the Long Bow already has built in will supply some defense...

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever