• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My Alaskan trip

Got back from my trip Monday. Heres a brief report

Stayed at a Bed and Breakfast on the Kenai river. fished the kenai 2 days . My dad caught a 35# King. a cousin caught a 60# king. what a brut.

Spent 1 day halibut fishing in Homer. biggest in the boat 105#. Boy it's a lot of work.

Spent 1 day halibut/ling cod / silver fishing out of Seward. Did fair. no real big fish.

Fished on the Kenai during the Red/Sockeye run from the shore at the bed and breakfast. This was the best part of the trip. I have never seen a harder fighting fish. Hooked well over 100 fish but was able to land 15. size 8-10pounds.

I learned a lot this trip .
Thanks to those who offered helpful suggestions prior to my trip.
I would be glad to return the favor and answer any questions I can to help anyone else plan a trip.

It was a trip with my dad that I will never forget.

Good to hear you had a good trip. And that you had a good run on the Kenai. That second run is definetely the way to go from what the guides say. Otherwise there are too many dang regulations.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

Styx - you are the envy of every outdoors person who's never been to that great state.

Anybody who has a passion for the outdoors ought to take at least one trip to Alaska. For me it was paradise with variety, unsurpassed beauty, unspoiled wilderness and friendly, hospitable people.

A few fun facts about Alaska from a couple different websites:

It has 3 million lakes, 29 volcanoes and over 1/2 the world's Glaciers.

It's 55 miles east of Russia.

The only state to have coastlines on three different seas: Arctic Ocean, Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea.

Alaska’s 570,373.6 square miles measure in at one-fifth the size of the continental U.S., and over twice the size of Texas.

The Aleutian Islands of Alaska extend longitudinally past Hawaii.

Of the nation’s 20 highest peaks, 17 are in Alaska, including Mt. McKinley the tallest mountain in North America at 20,320 feet.

Alaska has 6,640 miles of coastline, and including islands, has 33,904 miles of shore - more than the rest of the U.S. combined.

The nations two largest national forests are located in Alaska. The Tongass in Southeast includes 16.8 million acres, and Chugach in Southcentral has 4.8 million acres.

Alaska has an estimated 100,000 glaciers which cover almost five percent of the state. There are more active glaciers in Alaska than in the rest of the inhabited world.

There are more than three million lakes in Alaska. Lake Illiamna in Southwest Alaska is the second largest fresh water lake in the U.S.

Alaska has 80 percent of all the active volcanoes in the U.S.

[This message has been edited by uffdapete (edited 07-22-2004).]

styx
I have a question. Everyone talks about fishing kings in the Kenai in july but I have heard that the size is great but the numbers are not. I fish lake michigan and have caught 20+ fish in a day. When I plan my trip will I be better off going in Aug. for reds, pinks and silvers. I would like to fish for kings but if i'm going that far I want action. What do you or anyone else think about this.

------------------
great fishing to all

Great Fishing,

Going in July is a great time. The 2nd Run of kings is in and you can catch them a lot easier than in June. And generally the second run of Sockeyes is running so you have that added bonus.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

Styx:

A buddy of mine just got back Saturday from the exact same trip. They rented a motor home and fished the Keni, got a charter in Homer and fished Seward also. I have never seen one freezer so full of fish. That Halibut is some gooooood stuff. He boiled it in 7up with some salt and melted some butter to dip the pcs. in. WOW!!!

sounds like a great time! i would love to go to Alaska sometime.

fising for kings on the Kenai is not a numbers game. on average we saw about 2 fish caught per day per boat. the size is impressive(30#average) with a few going up to 60 pounds and a 70-80# fish once in a while.

Honestly I think fishing for reds was much more fun since you are actively fishing all the time. also they put up the best fight for their size.

Styx,

What guide did you use on the Kenai?? I'm headed up to Soldotna tomorrow for work and plan on doing some fishing.

Greatfishing4u; just to add to to Styx answer concerning action on the Kenai. Actully, 2 fish per boat is doing pretty well, better then average. But try to find a 50 plus King in lake MI. It's all about the fish of a lifetime. I've been on the Kenai about a dozen times now and y biggest is 45, my buddy got a 58 his first time last summer. Great lakes salmon is big fun, don't get me wrong. But 30 lbs. is about it for size, and the fish from the ocean eat waaaay better as well. And it's Alaska!! Just fishing there is another thing altogether. I agree the reds alone will make a trip, but I always hit the Kenai for kings a couple times, gotta break that 50 lb mark one of these years...

Styx,
Were the Reds that you caught hooked in the mouth? I mean I know there are so many that you are bound the foul hook one occasionally, but do you think they were taking a particular pattern? If so, can you clue me in? Looks like I should be leaving around August 10th, so I need to get serious about replenishing some fly patterns. Maybe a little late for Reds, but last year we got into a later run of fresh reds about that same time. grin.gif

stiff

99% of the Salmon we got was on Green..same color green you made your little icon face..i tried pink/orange/black and silver..i got 2 fish on those colors when i switched to hot green it was 1 every 10 minutes on average...thats after the fight..wiggle worts(Hot green) was the ticket for kings..pixie(hot green)with a gold spoon for reds/silvers. i hooked into 1 that was about 75lbs..had it up to the boat several times then on the last run it went under the boat so fast i couldn't get my rod lowered fast enough and snapped the line on boat..GRRRRRRRR...so i'm thinking color does play a big role..yes we did snag a couple..Good luck on your trip..

Stiff,
i don't think color made much difference since we were fishing along the bank of the kenai river. many were foul hooked since they were running pretty thick at the time.

Thanks for the insight. That's kind of where I eneded up last year after a few days of trial and error. "Kelly Green"... Gotta have some other stuff to fall back on too though wink.gif

Stiff

i had a little something to add to your last post but i dont think it was ment for here..lol..anyways...how many are planning on your next trip???

if your bored look up the news minor online and see what adds are in there for rental..they should have a few locals for 50-75% of what a rental place would be..if your going to put on a few miles i would go that route not from a rental place..

Our boat cought 4 kings while fishing with Jim Wilson. I have been on 5 different king trips in my life and he is by far the best Guide I know for fishing the kenia. If you want his #leave your E-mail and I will send it to you.

The reds were thick! and a blast to catch!
I am spoiled now! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif gatta figure out some good recepies for the salmon now.
There is no place like AK!..........
There is no place like AK!!..........
There is no place like AK!!!..............
"Darn, Did'nt work" confused.gif
HoleHopper;D

Looks like there should be seven of us this year. It's not a typical fishing group - more of a family trip for my buddies family. I just get the chance to tag along and take advantage of the reduced airfare (his mom is a flight attendant). Many days they just drop us off on certain rivers, then they go do thier thing, and we meet them back at the RV about the time dinner hits the table. They've also got a friend up there with an ocean going fishing boat so we have been able to the halibut thing for the cost of gas and lunch too, which is pretty cool.

I know last year there was more chances to do different things in ten days than I was able to squeeze in.

Hopper and stiff

Wow 7's alot,guess you do need an RV..i'll ask my brothers if they know anyone in Anch who has a good deal and try to get a phone number for ya..if you type up a wanted add for an RV rental and send it to me i'll forward it to Anch..then have it posted in all the Carrs stores (great friends with general manager)shes very willing to help out since shes originaly from Mn too..if you do that i would probly just put your e-mail addy on it so you dont get a bunch of unwanted calls..Also a native Mn guide outa that area who is very good at getting on lots of kings.. names (Dan Kerkvliet)just do a number search..i would recamend him if you wanna ocean fish kings and a halibut trip the same day..way more for the buck and a great guy..you get 4 more hours of fishing in for about the price of 1 if your from Mn and have 3-4 people on the boat..

HOPPPPPERRRRR

Is there any reason you did'nt fish for kings salt water?? Deep creek offers some very nice kings (saltwater)also offers some great halibut fishing..around the 4th of july big halibut come outa deep creek more often then homer..this is from there migration..i would rather go outa deep creek for those 2 rather then fish the kenia then drive down to homer..

I am heading up Aug 18 and plan on fishing for Halibut in Homer and Ninilchik. Has anyone heard of or fished with Silver Fox Charters or Afishunt Charters? Just got back from Milleacs and am ready to catch some big fish and fantastic scenery.

MAIOT

silver fox is the biggest charter service outa homer..if i were you i would ask for Tom as a charter guide..i would call as soon as possible and ask for him..He is by far the best fishing guide in Alaska..if you want big fish only he will put you on that spot..might not catch many but you will catch a true trophy..

when i lived in fairbanks and only had 24 hrs to fish halibut i would drive down and go with Tom..you wont meet a better man in that area then him..Good luck

Eyes on Tonka,

I really did not know that you could fish for kings out of deep creek. You think the chances are a lot better there, than in the Kenia? Even though I have been there twice now I am still AK stupid!!!!!
As far as halabit goes.......... well, lets just say that we would rather have salmon steaks on the grill any day!!
The next time we go, I would like to go for some silvers also. We would be going at about the third week in July so we would not miss the red run. Way too much fun to be legal!!!!
Next time, I was thinking about going out of Seward for the sivers.
You got any recomendations for the silvers??
Thanks in advance
HoleHopper,
I thought the fever would go away after I went there............... BUT NOOOOOOOOOOO,....... IT JUST GETS WORSE!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hopper

Silvers are easy to catch when aproaching the fresh water..it's all timming again..i have fished the rivers a lot but ocean fishing is more fun..you catch alot of different kinda fish that you would not catch in the river..heck i have caught halibut down riggin for salmon many times.. big sharks too..same goes with the kings outa deep creek but there you have a chance at catching lots of kings that follow the spawning ones..the theory is most of the kings that are around the deep creek area are the ones that are not spawning..they just got in the wrong group of fish and run up and down the coast line..if you ever go to deep creek most of the halibut guides will fish early morning for kings along the coast for a couple hours..depending on the tide..

Eyes,
Thanks very much for the offer but I think we are pretty much set up right now. The RV is already reserved and we have more things lined up than we can get done in the time we will be there. J

MAIOT,
Homer is a great place to choose for ocean fishing, but definitely make the drive to Seward too if you are interested in the scenery aspect.