• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Srange Fishing Technique.........

I want to run this technique by everyone and see if you have ever heard of it..?? It is the strangest thing I have ever heard. A guy at work does it and has been doing it his whole life.

The fish he is after is northerns, the lake is Mille Lacs. He uses canes pole and speed trolls. So far this sounds ok, not my style but I guess it will due. The weird part comes after he cathces the fish. He gets the hit and the hook is set. He then throws the cane pole over the side of the boat and lets the fish run with it!! Then he follows the pole and eventually gets the fish when it tires. I thought he was BS'ing but I know a guy that went with him and observed this.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing????

Weird, but it sounds like it would work.

------------------

<*))))))))><{

i remember my grandpa telling me stories about him doing that, its definately something i would love to do once!!!

MY grandpa told stories about that on big pine, a couple years a go there was a boat on minnewawa that would do that too. sounds kind of lke jaws with the barrels. music humming as your cane pole is coming broadside!
Best fished

Yes, I've heard of that as well. Another thing I've read about is, a fellow out east would fish trout in a large river by baiting and floating cane poles downstream. He'd drift along and watch his poles. In Connecticut you're allowed to fish 6 lines. 6 cane poles?
I've caught fish in the summer using Beaver Dam tip-ups. I float them on 2" styrofoam with a slit cut in. A wire hoop to lift the "concraption" out of the water with a pole/gaff. An old rod with a couple of notched out eyes to slide the line in and it's almost like fly fishing!! grin.gif
Yep......Back in the "drinking days"!! LOL!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 07-13-2004).]

I've read about that method before. I can see doing it the times you are panfishing with canepole and catch a big pike instead. Throw the pole in and follow it. Actually do that method for pike though doesn't sound appealing to me. I enjoy the BATTLE too much to fish that way, personally.

I think this is a great site. Fishing forums are primary, everthing else is secondary. Leave it just the way it is. If you don't like sports etc, just don't go there.

Same here, my grandfather told me he and his friends used to fish them that way. Of course, with modern tackle I never saw him go back to that method in my lifetime.

One of my Grandpa's buddies used this technique on Muskies in the Park Rapids area back in the 30's and 40's.

He trapped squirrles and harnessed them with big treble hooks then tossed the squirrel into the lake and waited for the "Bite" grin.gif

Once the hook was set, he'd toss the pole into the lake and read a book until it was time to bring in the fish.

------------------
Chells

what are the chances of someone getting it trouble with the DNR for having an unattended pole?

i wouldn't choose that style of fishing because i enjoy fighting the fish. it does sound interesting though.

For one thing, to my knowledge, you can't even buy a cane pole like the old boys used to use to fish that way.

There used to be a bin of cane poles outside of most bait shops, and you could take your pick. My dad was a cane pole fisherman and he would sometimes use that method when he got a big pike on.

Now days, you would have to have a pretty secluded lake to do that on, because someone would come rocketing along and make short work of your endeavor!

My dad told me a simular story... only he was in world war 2 stationed in the Phillipenes. They were fishing in the ocean for jew fish. I guess the fish gets HUGE.

The hook went throught a "chicken" and tied to a rope. The rope was tied to the front of a row-boat.

The boat was set adrift.
When the fish hit the boat would go under!

They guys would wait for the boat to "pop" back up! When the big fish was tired, they would row another boat out to collect it at the surface.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 07-14-2004).]

My father also used to fish this way. So few years back he said he wished he could get a "real cane pole" I found him on on eBay real cheap actually bought myself one too. My father passed away recently and as my mother was asking who wanted what I convinced my brother to take dads cane pole, at first he was a bit reluctant saying he would never use it but less then a week later he called from his cabin saying that he had been out bass fishing and saw some really nice sunnies in the pads so he went and got dads cane pole and caught the biggest sunnies of his life. He was very excited and the tradition of "cane pole fishing" still lives on in our family. He is also a big Northern fisherman and I have emailed him this thread so maybe we will have another story to share on the topic. Take Care!!

There was a story on I think MN Bound about a guy who fishes muskie in WI by using bait with no hook and throwing his pole into the water and waiting for the fish to calm down. He would then bring the fish in. Admire it, and then release it. He has caught an amazing number of big muskies this way. I think this is the same technique.

Bushwhacker....I've heard of somewhat of a spin off on this system for catching Bullheads...tie a chunk of tough meat on the end of the fishing line and wait for the Bullheads to swallow it and pull em in!
I've never tried it though....I suppose you could even use a cane pole to do it?

This technique is also known as using a "Finlander Bobber" Just Kidding. This is an Old and I mean Old method. Probably as old as fishing with poles. I cannot verify that however. On another note Mills Fleet Farm and Walmart have Bamboo Cane Poles for Less than $5.00 a copy.

I tried this but I found out that my telescoping graphite "cane" pole didn't float! Thanks alot guys!

I have read about the cane fishing that went on at Mille Lacs years ago. Very interesting. I remember 20 years ago fishing for crappies in snags with cane poles. Great way to work around the tree branches.

As to releasing the pole, I think I would be running that by the DNR. If memory serves me correct, we had quite the discussion this winter about a similar situation.

I think somebody was going to place a balloon on a line and when they caught a fish, attach the balloon and watch where the fish returned to. I think jug fishing is not legal in this state and this runs close to that. Would hate to see someone get a ticket.

Yeah I really didn't think this was legal, personally I don't see anything much wrong with it, but I didn't think this was really legal anymore.

The cane poles that Walmart and Fleet Farm sell, "The Bamboo copies" would be cannon fodder to a big pike, I'm afraid they would make short work of it. The poles that were used for this method were the real deal, one piece cane. Must be some place around where they can be bought?

I dunno if a guy should try this anymore. It's a whole new set of reflexes. Set the hook, drop the rod? What if you did that a couple of times and then accidently tried it with your favorite Fenwick?

I grew up on the pond when I was younger and my grandfather and I would bobber fish with sucker minnows with 12-20 foot bamboo cane poles on the south end of the lake. Set the hook and throw the pole out and follow it for 5-10 minutes and hoist the pike in. It was fun and still know a few ol'timers that are still around that do this today.

I remember in the 70's going to Mille Lacs with a friend in his 14 foot Lund and he'd put out a hundred feet of anchor rope and then use a 14 foot cane pole for walleyes. I had my new Mitchell 300 and thought there was no way I'd stoop to using a cane pole. Wrong- after his third walleye and me without a bite, it didn't take me long to switch. With all the achor rope out, the wind and the 14 foot cane, we were covering a very large area, just like trolling. And there's nothing like a three pound walleye on the end of a cane pole.

That is how I got started in fishing. I never had one on that was so big I had to through my poll in' but in was an option.

In the spring of the year when the pike are shallow, it's hard to beat. You get your lure away from the boat ( you spook the pike away from the boat and right to your spoon) and you have vary good control of your lure depth ( touch the tip of the water with your poll or lift it 3-4' off the water). It's that easy.

With fiber glass poles easier to find and cane poles harder to find, it's not seen as often today.

I don't believe it is illegal as long as your within the legal distance of your pole and you only have one of them out. I have a thirty foot cane pole I use for bassin (got it in spicer) about 6-7 yrs ago. You can really cover some ground that way much faster than trolling.

------------------
Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ