• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3 Weeks And no Boat !

Ok, that was just wrong mad.gif
I brought my boat in for repair 3 weeks ago. I was promised 1.5 - 2 weeks max. No update, no truthful answers, nothing! not ever a call back. I called the service manager, he insisted that he will get my boat ready so i can have it for the holiday. Nope, they didn't even look at it. BROKEN PROMISES from a local service shop!! So I asked the guy straight out "So, is mine lower on to totem pole because it not as NEW of a boat as the others that arrived after mine thats done"? Manager said no but I could tell he was lying to me. I wish they would of told me 2 weeks ago that they weren't going to get to it so I could of taken it somewhere else so I can have a boat for the holiday week-end.. mad.gif

I was going to ask where you took it, then looked at your profile. But seeing where you live,i know you didn't take it to the same place I had trouble. So no names need be mentioned.
I do know that,in my case, because I didn't buy the boat at the place I took it in for repairs, I was put at the bottom of the list. I know a couple of people that got tired of waiting and went and took their boat off the lot and went elsewhere for the repairs.
So I feel for ya man....

Danny, I didn't take it to the boat place near my house. The repair place is on Hiway 61 past cottage grove. Thats all I can say so that this thread won't get deleted. mad.gif
This sucks though. POOR service. If I knew anything about boats, I would have fixed it myself

Valv,
The lower unit is busted, the motor won't idle, engine turns over but won't start, just to name a few . =/
I wish I was able to buy that one boat from you.. Just 2 more days and I would of been able to buy it.. mad.gif

More words to the wise... do not take a boat in for repairs in the fall.

Once the tide of "winterizing" boats starts to roll-in in the Fall, most delers stop doing repairs all together!
Dealers have to get all the boats winterized and ready for storage, before spending time on other repairs... which would keep you fishing!
It took me three weeks to get my gimbal bearing replaced in October. No loaner boat and I missed the full moon bite on MilleLacs.
When I caught on that I was at the end of a ever growing line. I got real perterbed... I cheked round to find NONE of the other local dealers would work on my boat till ALL the winterizing was over with. That was going on solid till NOVEMBER!
I had to grin and bear it.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

At this time of the year it is hard to get any boat worked on in a timely matter. All dealers are backed up but they should be honest & tell you how long it be, not just tell you what you want to here. But (FYI) if you need to ues a boat most of the larger dealers do have boats to rent.

------------------
great fishing to all

I have had the total reverse experience. My motor would not run contiunuously so I took it to a recommended repair shop. It was close to the holidays and he said he didnt think he could get at it and recommended another repair person, but said if he cant help you call us back...he said "you deserve to get that boat on the water for the holidays". The second private mechanic was swamped too, so I called the dealer back. He said to bring the boat up and they would look at it AFTER HOURS. They did and he called me. Told me what the problem was and asked if I wanted it fixed....about $100....I said absolutely...and was fishing the next evening. So, dealers do differ!

By the way, this was in Balsam Lake, WI

Sounds like I know what my next proffession is going to be!! I don't know where you live but Hannays in NE Minneapolis seems to be a decent place to take your fish hunter. I've only been there once and they had my boat ready before I had my laundry done(springtime tune-up)and their parking lot was full and made room for me. They were very nice too which, is a plus. Sorry to here the bad news. Hope you get your rig going soon!!

Good Fishin'...

I must second Hannay's in MPLS, they took off my old yamaha and replaced it with the upgrade (90horse 4 stroke) in the same day, I dropped it off at 8 am and picked it up at 5:30 pm that same day.

It seems to me that here in the Metro there is more work needed than qualified people to do it. Thats why I take my stuff out of the area, where the mechanics are a little more hungry for work and a whole lot friendlier. Yes, it's a pain in the arse, but so is finding out that your not as important as some other people and spending weekends without your boat.

------------------
It still beats workin'

There must be a huge shortage of mechanics and parts. I ripped my lower unit two years ago and it was 5 weeks to get it back. I had to keep on the shop almost daily or it would have been longer. The guy kept telling me "everyone wants their boat tommorrow" It took three weeks to get a shaft for a 150 Yamaha VMAX. Then he couldn't find a SS 17 pitch prop. I ordered one on the net and got it the next day. Incidently, I checked for a shaft and could have had one of those the next day as well. Same story for snowmobile and 4 wheeler service. Business must be really good.

These dealers have the brands everyone wants so we are stuck with thier service departments. It is hard to find an independent shop doing factory service and warranty work.

I tend to think the problem is not enough staff for the busy season, and them not wanting to pay someone to do nothing in the off season. Kind of a pain, but you can't really blame them for not wanting to pay someone for doing nothing when it is not busy.