• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ear Plugs

In a couple of weeks I'll be taking a fishing trip with 3 other guys. We will be staying in a one room cabin with bunks. One of the guys going is the king of all snorers. This guy can rattle the walls. Does anyone have any suggestions for some good ear plugs, other than the foam industrial type? This is a remote boat-in location so I can't jump in the back of the truck. I try to avoid trips with this guy, but he is a good friend -except when he snores.

Man can I relate to this. You can try rifleman's ear protection, get really drunk, and pass out a good hour before him. Or if you like music while you sleep, bring a mp-3 player and headset smile.gif

Those foam ear plugs should work ok.

See if you can get your buddy to try a Breathe-Right strip over his nose. That may help his nose get better airflow and ease the snoring some.

We've had fair results with those in our elk camp.

Animal,
Get him a CPAP machine!!! My brother used to snore like crazy, if I slept in the same cabin as him, even if in different bedrooms he'd keep me awake!!! He finally went in for a sleep study and found he stopped breathing 20-25 times per hour due to his snoring.

He now has a CPAP machine and snores no more!!!

CPAP = Continuous Positive Air Pressure

Now we can even sleep in the same room and I get to sleep.

Ole

Breathrite nasal strips kept me from killing my best friend............

Just my two cents worth...

I recently went on a fishing trip to Rainy Lake....I brought the foam earplugs with just in case my roommate snored. I slept in them for one night and ended up at the ER the following evening. The ER Doc said that people shouldn’t sleep with the earplugs because they don’t allow moisture to evaporate...causing a moisture rich environment that could start an infection…blah…blah…blah...etc. I ended up with an ear infection that ruined the trip for me. It probably wouldn’t have happened for everyone in the same circumstances….but it did for me..and the trip really sucked. I would try to avoid using earplugs.

I sleep with ear plugs up at the cabin. Even at home when I can't sleep, works well for me, no ear infections.

fortunately i fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow... and i don't hear much when i am asleep... i would try to get to bed a.s.a.p.

I second Ole's comments. My father in law had the same problem up to about 2 years ago. You never heard anything like his snoring, it was incredible. After seeing a doc and having some sleep tests done, he too was found to have sleep apnea. The CPAP machine works wonders. He is quite the camper too, so we bought him a deep cycle battery and an inverter (for those trip where elictricity isnt available). A bit more stuff to haul along, but well worth it for everyone else in camp, and anyone else within a 2 mile radius!

I've had to use my Ice Buster Bobbers as ear plugs when a few guys were snoring at camp. Trimmed them down, put them in and fell asleep. I forgot my good ear plugs at home and made do with the bobbers! I actually had a guy tell me how great my bobbers were and I said Thanks alot and he continued talking about how good of a nights sleep he got with the Ice Buster pieces in his ears. smile.gif Bruce Mosher

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

Thanks Bruce,

I have a visual image of that and I can't shake it.

We tried everything over the years to silence the bear that is my cousin. My personal favorite was whipping change from our pockets at him in fury while he snored away. Didn't work though, and it just made fishing and hunting trips even more expensive. Turns out he had Sleep Apnea, and he was given one of those fancy machines, and it worked like a charm. There are times though when he won't put it on right away, and thought's of chucking another few bucks in change goes through our heads, but then we just wake him up and tell him to wear his F&**ing mask!!!

Personally, I'd skip the earplugs and think of something to stuff in his mouth! Think about it, you aren't doing anything wrong, or disturbing anyone...so try an old pair of socks or grungy undies in his mouth?

My dad is a hearing aid manufacturer, and makes custom fit ear plugs. I own a hardwood flooring company and I don't start the day without them. That kind of noise is a little bit noisier. I have used them sleeping too no problem. Hope this helps. If your interested the company name is Hearmore Hearing Aid Center, in Bloomington MN