• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

outstate fishermen

the olde man

i`ll be coming to mn. for the opener ...but my question is does anyone know off hand can nonresidents clean their own fish? i remember that while ice fishing on lotw the rule said bringem back whole or pay to have them cleaned (we always paid the resorts to clean )i`m sure that i can read the regs. but i`m lazy and it`s tough turning pages with soda & chips in your hands

I fish with an out of stater. He cleans his own ROCKBASS..... When he gets lucky enough to catch one.

To my knowledge you can clean them. You'll need to keep a 1 inch patch of skin on your fish, they need to be countable...not frozen.

If some resort said they had to clean them and charged you for it they were ripping you off. Clean them Yourself and leave 1 square inch of skin on all fish except panfish and package them so they can be easily counted.

It's illegal to clean or cook fish while ice fishing. That's why the resort had it posted that way. Otherwise you can clean all the fish you want.

You can clean them yourself, except for on lakes like lake of the woods and mille lacs that have special regulations, they need to be left intact so the dnr can measure the fish and or identify whether they are eyes or saugers. many resorts on lake of the woods will clean them for you and give you a reciept to show the dnr that they cleaned the fish and all were legal. Adam

The resort was probably a licensed fish packer. They can clean you fish, pack & freeze them and then attach a signed sticker to the package. They keep a log and a reference number for each package. If you should be stopped by a game warden you don’t have to peel apart your frozen catch. You can filet your limit as long as you do it off the water.

There are a couple of resorts on Kabetogama that will not allow you to filet your own fish. They say that by doing this they have no problem with the game wardens.

what I do is I clean my own fish and leave at least a 1 inch piece of skin on, then I freeze each fillet individually { skin side up) on cookie sheets. Works really well- easy to count and easy for C.O. to inspect, when you get home you can wrap and freeze to your liking..

Suddenly Summer
I had a CO stop by a fish house this winter while on Lake of the Woods. I asked him if we could fillet and eat fish in the house. He told us to keep the remains and not go over our daily limit and we would be fine.
We were in a sleeper and would be there for a couple more days.
I don't see this being any different than having shore lunch.

------------------
Hunt Snow Geese, Save the tundra

thanks much guys,makes alot of sense good luck fishing to all fmers and have a safe trip to your fav.fishing hole FISH-ON!

That information made alot of sense?? Just about everyone had a different interpretation as to what the regulations really are.

So, are you going to clean those fish or not?? I don't think it matters if you are a resident or non-resident, the same rules apply.

Good Luck.

Vickie

[This message has been edited by Vickie (edited 05-13-2004).]

You can clean your own fish, as long as you're not from North Dakota, in which case we'll chase you back across the western border with burning torches and pitchforks!

"Hey! Sez here he's from Nort-dakoteee. Git-em!!!" wink.gifgrin.gif

Snowgoose,

You must be right. I just read through the entire 2004 Minnesota Fishing Regulations and nothing about eating fish on the ice is mentioned.

vickie, i`ll be more specific :when fishing on waters with saugers&walleyes (lotw)you must leave the fish whole or have a licenced packer clean and stamp them for you or how will the dnr be able to tell them apart walleye flesh skin on or off is very simular to sauger flesh so if your not fishing waters with a combination of walleye,sauger in them a 1 in. patch of skin is all that is needed to identify the fish..sound right?

also guys i was born&raised in good ol mn. moved to wi.to teach these people who america`s most exciting football team is VIKINGS! aahhhrrrooooo

Vikings exciting?

We're about 50% closer to having a team worth watching. Denny Green got the hook and Tice has been getting rid of the jakes. If Moss gets a bus ticket back to Gary, Indiana, and McCoombs sells the team to Glen Taylor, we'll be back to a team worth my interest.

Come on IFalls, its is fun to always be rooting for the underdog (I would like to see Moss traded for better talent though).

Moss for a better Talent? Are you kidding. Yes you could probably get someone with a better attitude that tries harder, but I think you would be hard pressed to find someone with more talent.

sounds like some packer fans are trying to stir up some decention among the faithful?

NO WAY! Don't trade Moss - Lazy or not you cannot argue with his numbers and like the previous post said you will not get better talent please. You Moss haters are probably the same people standing up spilling your beers everytime he catches a TD pass!!!

From what I remember about the LOTW regs, all cleaned walleyes & saugers are counted as walleyes unless you only gill & gut the saugers. Yes, you do still have to leave the 1" piece of skin on the eyes. I too have never read anything about not being able to clean & eat fish on the lake. The rental guy we went through's been running a dozen houses for years & is definitely a "by the book" guy & he never said boo about doing that.

------------------