• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
dk

First Ice

dk

Looking for a spot to try first ice on Mille Lacs this year. Last year tried Twin Bay with little success. Wondering if Indian Point freezes early? Are there any other areas that freeze earlier then others?

Thanks, DK

Any of the south bays, Isle bay usually is best. Go out of Dickies, talk to Dick and he'll help you out with spots......

Rick

No offense dk, but I had pretty good success first ice out of Twin Bay last year early ice. You can most likely have pretty good success off most points and inside turns close to the first break from shore, especially if it has rocks.

Remember, the ice will first form in the south bays. An example-Wahkon Bay can be fished before the points off Twin Bay. Indian point should be a good early season spot as well, but will generally be a little later ice than Twin Bay's points, Only because it is not as sheltered. We may be talking only days difference here so take that into consideration.

I've seen walleyes caught in some of the bays as well during early ice. Those walleyes were keying on all the small perch in there.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can start with the bays and keep working out to the points right off the bays, then out to some of the larger points and finally out into the main lake. It's a great way of extending your early ice experience.

Last note is, make sure you are very cautious and talk to the resort/bait shop owners before venturing out. Even then, make sure you practice all the safety precautions.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-25-2001).]

DK check out the ice leaders challange DEC 15 and 16 on Mille Lacs, Would like to see your there. I believe we are meeting at Mac's Twin Bay resturant/bar Sat nite of the event. It will be a great time to meet some good people and share some secrets and ideas about Mille Lacs.......

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 10-25-2001).]

dk

Thanks for the info. I guess the main thing is to go where the ice is safest early and move around from there. I'll have to give Twin Bay another chance Rick. If I'm in the area I'll try to stop by Mac's D-man. We usually stay on that side of the lake. Thanks again,

dk

Rick

Any predictions for when Mille Lacs will get first ice?

Also, what area of Mille Lacs is your favorite to ice fish and why?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ozzie
      Looks like a fun time on a tranquil lake!!
    • Surface Tension
      Bad electrical connection will create heat.
    • jim curlee
      I have a metal roof on my house near Cook, I installed it about thirteen years ago still looks/works great. Replaced my shingled roof at home(Pine Island) last year, the shingles lasted 17 years before they were lookin pretty tough. That would be twice I've replaced shingles at home in 35 years.   The major problem I have with steel is when the snow melts off of the roof, it will all come off at one time. If your car, or the door you use to get in and out of your house is under the eave's, you WILL have an issue. Last spring enough snow came off of my roof in one melting, that it would have buried, and I'm sure crushed my truck. The snow drift after that melting was about 10' wide, and 4' deep. You better plow it right away, or you will have an ice drift that you cannot remove. The only other issue, is that when it rains it really runs off of the roof. You will get wet standing under the eaves of your house. The rain come's off in sheets.  You could use gutters or deflectors, but the snow coming off in the spring will also remove your gutters/deflectors, guaranteed. A door on the gable end of your house will take care of the rain and snow problem.   Other than that I think the steel roof is great, it is easy to apply, and is guaranteed for 40 years. I don't plan on ever using shingles again, have converted most of my buildings to steel! With shingles you might get 20 years, then you get to hire somebody to come out, and replace your shingles again. LOL And NO, it is not so loud in my house when it rains, that you can't hear yourself think. LOL And No, I don't sell/install steel roofing, I'm just sold on the stuff.   I can't recommend a good or fair roofer/contractor, I do my own work. I can recommend a good/fair electrician/concrete guy. If you pm me, I'll tell you a plumber NOT to hire.   Jim      
    • PSU
      RLG, good to hear and I think that's one of the most important tips I've learned from this forum. Trust your electronics!    
    • redlabguy
      I haven’t seen many posts lately which means I’m not the only one struggling to find fish. I ventured out of Frazer into Big Bay today and fished 20 fow on a shore line pulling a spinner/crawler  at 1 mph and got a limit of nice fish in a half an hour. They hit almost as soon as I got the bait to the bottom. Just me and the lab- - otherwise, we would’ve put a lot more fish in the boat. It was the third place I tried. It’s good advice to fish where you see fish on the sonar.  RLG
    • yoppdk
    • srj
      Sounds like a great time, Hoey. Keeping active with old friends is really important...……….as I have advanced well past "middle age", most of my friends I fished/hunted with have either died or quit the outdoors pursuits. Bummer. However, Thursday I head to Morson with one of my remaining partners to spend a few days at his place at Sportsmans Landing, always a good time. That part of LOW is really fun! Endless rock humps to fish, and little traffic. A couple years ago, I got my bud into jigging raps and similar lures. Big fun jig rappin the sand flats in that area. And usually, we catch a few crappies for a great meal. One observation  after many years of fishing LOW north and east of Big Traverse involves the rock humps.....anyone with thoughts on this, please weigh in. In big Traverse, the rock bite peaks in July and slowly peters out. There are still good days, but by late August, you have to run and gun to find fish on the rocks. However, in Sabaskong, Little Traverse and areas north and east of Big Traverse, the rock bite stays very strong. On Whitefish Bay, my best rock fishing was the last couple weeks of August. My thought is it is because of the pressure on  the US side and the lack thereof on the Canada side. Opinions? Good luck.
    • Borch
      I was fishing 18-25 fow.  I cruised several humps that topped out around 17-20 fow and found fish on about 1/2 of them.  I only fished spots I marked good numbers of fish on them.   By horizontal I mean either making long cast and snapping the jigging rap back sharply or trolling 1- 1.2 mph and having enough line out that there would be a little slack before my next snap of the rod at that speed/depth.  You don't feel the hit.  The fish is just there on the next snap that then turns into a hook set.   I've also fished them vertically but many times the more horizontal presentation works better.  At least for me.   I caught fish on both 7&9 sizes.  But the 7s are easier on my arm with repetitive snapping of the rod.  These fish heavy and I've fished them like this in more than 30 feet of water. Metallic perch was the best color for me this weekend followed by rainbow trout or chartreuse.   Even caught several pike and crappies doing this type of fishing.  Moonshine shiver minnows work well too.  They get the nod when there is most on the bottom.  They fish cleaner that the jigging raps. 
    • delcecchi
      when was the most recent time it started normally?   You did start mixing oil in gas when you disconnected the injection system, right?    
    • opsirc
      I have a 1984 40hp evinrude, when to start this year after it has been sitting for 5yrs. It was drawing so much juice that it melted one one the terminals off. The only thing different is I disconnected the oil injection system because it was in constant alarm. Did this after talking to the service dept at a outboard motor dealership. Everything else is the same, when i parked it would turn over with no problem, now hard turning. Anyone have idea i am out of them.   Thanks