• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

new to mille lacs

hi everyone, i have never been to mille lacs but myself and 8 others have a shanty reserved at mcqouids for january, just wondering what to expect.any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know that the shanties have rattle reels, just wondering what type of bait and tackle to bring.also how thick the ice usually is in january.can you drive right to your shanty?

dboobyer
depend on weather but it usuaaly pretty safe for drive vehiles since resort will know ice is safe or not when they plow road to shelters. i have shelter at hunter point resort when ice is safe i ususally put it on about 24 feet deep and i dont fish there during daytime i took my sled to going flats and fishing during day then come back to shelter during night i like that way

Fatheads and shiners are most popular for walleyes. Perch baits include wax worms, crappie minnows and euro larve. Jigging spoons and plain hooks are good for walleyes. Small jigs and dropper rigs are good for perch. Jigging rapalas and buckshot rattle spoons can be great. The ice in January usually is thick enough to drive. Most resorts plow a road right to the front door of the house.

D-man, i go by Rick on the milleLacs chat room, that name was taken. i haven't been up in 2 weeks are the fish a bit shallower now maybe 3-6, i did good in 6 to 10 last time i was up.

Yes we did well in 5-6 feet last weekend. We started at 8:30 pm. I think we would have done even better had we stayed out later. The 2-4 am bite i hear was really good in that depth.