• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Guide Insurance

Jason is correct, liability ins. is what's most important to you, don't skimp on it. Infact it would probably be a good idea for you to carry a $1 million umbrella policy as well, you would be surprized at how little a policy of that size costs.

Ole

Note from Rick If you're looking for Insurance, Ole is the guy to go to. He is a sponsor of FishingMinnesota.com and makes this site possible for all of you to use freely.

His e-mail address is:
[email protected]
At least Get Your Quote Today

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-16-2004).]

I get my insurance through the National Professional Anglers Association.It covers guiding as well as tournaments.I can't recall the exact coverage but I think it was fairly good.
You do need some type of commercial insurance to guide.I checked a few regular insurance companies (State Farm,AM Fam etc.)and they do not have policies for guideing.

bemduckboy,
I sell insurance and anybody that I represent would be pretty expensive for that type of ins. but some of the guides on here should be able to help you.

One thing to keep in mind, what you are looking for is a commercial type policy because you are using your boat for business so don't count on your current/standard boat insurance policy for coverage on your boat for liability or damage. Any time you use a veh. whether it's an auto or a boat for the purpose of doing business it's a completely different policy.

I hope I haven't confused you too much.

Ole

Most marine insurance policies do not cover any commercial activity (guiding). I've been checking around for the past 60 days to find another insurance company and found Anglers Advantage of shoot of Old United Casualty. So far this looks like the best bet for my needs. It will run about 656.oo per year and covers just about everything.

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

I knew it was something I needed if I start this venture. I talked to my insurance company, they cover zip if guiding. Keep the info coming in. It only takes a couple of days from the sounds of things to pay for it. I used to have a license to pilot on coast guard waters and let it go mad.gif .

Dennis

You should shop around!! I checked the rates for the NPAA coverage and I'm paying $300 a year less for the same coverage.

Hi Guys,
I carry a commercial policy, with a rider for my boat and tackle. It covers up to $500,000.00 for bodily injury and a one million dollar death benifit.

I also pay less than the NPAA charges for their insurance. Guiding without it is a bad idea. Capitol Indemnity is my insurance carrier. smile.gif

------------------

Terry "Ace" Sjoberg
aceguideservice.com
Lake Vermilion
Muskies and More.

Pro Staff Member.
Catch-n Tackle.
CKat Custom Muskie rods.
Bearpaws Handpoured Baits
Ohio Pro Lure.
Muskie Nut Tackle.
Big Chimney Muskie Baits.
Marcum.

The guide ins. is a good idea...I pay 475 a year and am very happy with my coverage....very,very well covered...I would think its foolish not to have it...lots of info off of here....cant share mine...wish i could....good fishing!!

------------------
garysguideservice
garytheguide.com
[email protected]
Phone: 218-744-3158

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a new agent with the Anglers Advantage program that was mention earlier... They have a special program for guides and or tournament fishing....Please email me and I will get you a quote out..

bucks-n-ducks
pjzimpel(at)hotmail.com

Bucks-n-Ducks,
please contact me if you would like to sponsor FishingMinnesota.com and help keep it free for all to use.

Just use the "Contact Us" link below.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-16-2004).]

Many insurance companies require you to have your U.S.C.G. license. Make sure that is not a requirement if you do not have yours. It is required for guiding on international waters.

Doug

------------------
Captain Doug Wintle
Spring Bay Resort & Guide Service
http://www.SpringBayResort.com

Lund Pro Staff
RJ Sport and Cycle Pro Staff
[email protected]
800-847-5253

Doug,
People do need to be aware of the fact that a USCG license is needed on many waters in MN. This includes Federal as well as International waters. If it required on the waters you operate on and you need to file a claim without the proper license your insurance they will deny it due to the fact that you are operating illegally and in violation of federal law.

People who hire a guide who does not have the required license can also be fined up to $25,000. The unlicensed guide can be fined $25,000 for illegal operation for each day and $5,000 for each day he operates without being on a random drug testing program.

The guide who operates without the proper license is putting himself and his clients at risk for huge fines, is effectivly operating without insurance, is putting his sponsors at risk, and is taking business away from the guides who have taken the time and effort to obtain the proper license.

The list of Federal waters in MN. is long and includes most of the larger inland lakes as well as the major rivers.

Be safe not sorry ask to see the USCG operators license.

Interesting thread. I guided for ten years with an outfit (boss handled insurance) but we were continually caught between this issue. We rowed our boats--whitewater rafts--down a river. Nobody was ever completely sure what certificates we needed. (this was in Maryland, which has extensive rules for powered charterboats but no regulation governing a guide without a motor) If I move to guide in MN I would certainly do a very similar thing. I assume that much of the insurance load for guides assumes a powerboat (not that a raft on a river is much less risky). Any provision for a non-motorized vessel for Minnesota guides?
Also, I know that a valid certificate for first aid/cpr was always a requirement so if you're considering guiding you may want to inquire and get that out of the way.
FInally--does the state of Minnesota issue guide licenses?

Ice

Hey KW,
I realize that you are correct. It has never been an issue for me as I have always held my U.S.C.G. Captains license. Though I said that most insurance companies require it, I would certainly explain to them if I did not have it to determine if they would pay in the case of a claim. It could be a rude awakening. I had not looked to determine the scope of water included.

KW is also correct about the CPR/First Aid requirement. As for operating a non-motorized vessel, I took my CPR/First Aid certification for this year with two other Capatins. One who guides on Kab and Rainy, the other operates a Sailboat for hire (which would be considered a vessel not under power)

I would say that whether you are motorized or not--- you need the license. Though I am not sure you can contact the U.S.C.G. in Toledo Ohio, as they have jurisdiction for the MN area.

Doug

------------------
Captain Doug Wintle
U.S.C.G #938941
Spring Bay Resort & Guide Service
http://www.SpringBayResort.com

Lund Pro Staff
RJ Sport and Cycle Pro Staff
[email protected]
800-847-5253

Doug,
As far as I know you only need the USCG license for motorized vessels. In Alaska it is required for all waters with motorized vessels whether they are Federal or not. With rafts and drift boats it is not required.

There are many Federal waters that most people are not aware of. For example anything connected to the Mississippi requires the license. This includes such lakes as Cass, Leech, and Winni.