• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Drift Socks

Daze Off

I'm thinking of getting a drift sock this year to help on those really windy days when I am trying to control my boat.

I have a Lund Explorer 1675 - all the catologs seem to assign a different sized sock to boats of this size - from 24" all the way up to 45".

Can anyone give me some tips on size from experience? Is it a case of "bigger is better"? What works?

Thanks for the tips....

Daze Off

Most of the time the packaging on the sock will tell you what size of a boat it will handle.

Personally, I subscribe to the belief that bigger is better since you never know what conditions you may find yourself in. I have been using a single one that is rated for the size of boat I have and have found that at times it's not enough. I'm going with 2 this year that are rated for my boat size. That way I can always subtract, but if I diddnt have the extra one I could not add.

Thanks Tom.

The packaging and catalogs do tell the size it will handle - but they all contain different sized socks for the same size boat...

From what you say I'll likely go one size up from the size of my boat and hope that works. Since I fish bass and am shallow or just off shallow water drop-offs I don't want to go too big and have it drap on the bottom either...

Thanks again

Daze Off

• 2 weeks later...

i picked one up that was 2 sizes bigger for my boat. Really slowed me down to the point i didnt use a trolling motor till i put a bigger motor on my boat

Size does matter!!!

Definitely buy one that is at least one boat size bigger than your boat and maybe even two sizes up.

Ole

I would go one size larger then the suggested boat size.
Make sure you get a sock with heavy duty nylon,decent floats, and decent weights on it.
I use the Drift King sock and have been very happy with it. It opens fast and sure and tangles very little.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

In the past I have used the size compatible with the boat I was fishing in. Somedays you move too slow, other days you might need a second sock, depending on how the fish are hitting and the wind in your part of the lake. I don't think there is a magic size, because no matter what size you choose, you may want to drift slower or faster depending on your presentation method.

Shake'em

I have always fished with the sock rated for the size boat I was in. Having said that, there are times when we have needed two socks in order to slow down our presentation. Though, we do put the sock off the side of the boat because there are normally 3 people inside. If only fishing two people, you may put the sock directly off the bow, which will slow you down as the wind will not be pushing the boat as fast. I would suggest having two. You never know what the wind will be like, or how slow/fast of a presentation the fish will like that particular day.

Shake'em

I run a 1650 Lund Angler SS. On Mille, I use a boat rated Drift King and I also have a Minkota 24" that I use on less windy days. Like mentioned above the days will vary between 1 and 2 socks. You can vary your drift speed by adjusting your rope length. And finally, you can use them to slow your trolling speed as well. I frequently run the trolling motor and a drift sock to stay on a contour. They are a must for serious boat control.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 03-10-2004).]

There are drift socks with adjustable openings to fit the conditions needed.

Can it be luck , who makes those that have the adjustable openings? i am in need of replacing the one i have niow

Not for cranks, for crawler harnesses I have. I usually run cranks at 1.5-3mph. At those speeds even with the help of current and wave action, it's a lot of stress on a drift sock. Heck, just pulling in a drift sock involves eating your wheaties for breakfast! Always tie a short piece of rope to the opening "outlet" end of the sock, that way you can "collapse" it for easy retrieval.

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 03-11-2004).]

Thats the typical range for cranks and its hard to get a good sized outboard to idle below that but I guess I have heard of guys using them to get below 1.5 or so without a kicker.

Has anyone used them to slow an outboard down for trolling cranks?

Tom, Are youi aware of any places in the Cloud area that handles Beckmans socks?

If ANY OFYOU WANT TO BUY A COUPLE DRIFT SOCKS LET ME KNOW i HAVE SEVERAL FROM JNBoriginals and beckman

Thanks Tom. i will check those out there then . Swampbuck i guess i am kinda werid ,, but i like to check out what i am looking to buy,, but thanks