• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Using Bio Bait to Achieve Desired Buoyancy

Matt Johnson

Bio-Bait is made of soy and real prey flesh.
It is live bait... you do not have to keep alive.

Bio-Bait floats. If it is pulled off the hook it floats to the surface. On the surface, it can be safely eaten by birds. It contains about 75% protein and is fully digestible. A large piece of Bio-Bait can float a small jig!

I suggest you try using Bio-Bait not only as a flavor and scent attractor, but as a way to make your lures more buoyant and fall slower. Slow falling bait has great advantage in some vertical jigging and drifting situations. Large baits that are near neutral buoyancy can be more easily eaten by fish. When a fish opens its mouth, it pulls in water and "inhales" the bait. Heavy baits resist being sucked in. Neutral buoyant baits are much more easily pulled into the fish's mouth.

The buoyancy and "action" of large lures, jigs, and spoons can be altered with the use of Bio-Bait. Many times, suspicious fish tend to drop a lure when they feel any weight. Bio-Bait can lighten any lure in water. This can be of great advantage when a larger hook is desired. Using Bio-Bait allows a fisherman to use heavier jigs than one normally would. Along with using heavier jigs comes a bigger hook. Many times a fisherman uses lighter jigs that are made with smaller hooks when trying to present baits in shallow water. Lighter jigs are more snag resistant and present slower falls... and allow a jig to "swim" without plowing into the bottom. The buoyancy of Bio-Bait is an aid that allows you to use heavier jigs made with larger hooks.

A 1/2 ounce jig dressed with a large piece of Bio-Bait weighs 1/2 ounce in air. The jig casts like a 1/2 ounce jig. The buoyancy of Bio-Bait changes the weight of the jig once in water. Dressed with a large piece of Bio-Bait, a 1/2 ounce jig will weigh a fraction of what it normally would in water. Weighing less in water makes the jig fall much slower.

When using small jigs and ice lures, is possible to achieve neutral buoyancy using Bio-Bait. In fact you can float these lures with a large enough piece of Bio-Bait. By adjusting the size ratio of Bio-Bait to your lure, the fall rate can be made super slow. Slow falls give lures more time to be seen by the fish. Adding buoyancy may also affect a lures action which may allow you to fish it in an unconventional manner.

Bio Bait is something new that can add that extra triggering power needed to catch fish when out on the water. The ability to have real crawfish, worms, minnows, right in your pocket for easy access right in a little baggy or pouch is an excellent way to fish more efficiently. Bio Bait is easy to use, and is an easy way to catch fish. Bio Bait smells like the real thing, tastes like the real thing, and can very easily be mimicked to look and act like the real thing…to the fish, it is the real thing! Bio Bait will turn some heads out on the water, both fishermen and fish!!!

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 07-25-2004).]

• 7 months later...

Matt and FM Family,
I did a interview with News 6 of Austin/Albert Lee today about Bio-Bait.

The interview was shot in Owatonna on the Straight River... nope, I did not catch a fish!
But, I only made about three casts.

I did almost catch a duck!

I was pitching some Mealworm/Shiner Bio-Bait straight from the package out into the water for the ducks to eat (to show that it was not harfull to animals) and following the feeding frenzy.... of course... a duck went for my first cast.
A close call, but I was able to keep the Eggers Super Bow spinner tipped with Bio-Bait far enough away so that the duck could not catch up to it!
That duck was in hot persuit after that spinner!

The News 6 interview plays on the 10pm eddition on the news tonight.

Catch it if you want to learn more about Bio-Bait... or go to http://www.catch-n.com/bio-bait.html
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 07-25-2004).]

Right on Matt!
Bio-Bait also adds a new dimension to fly fishing. Using Bio-Bait we can have a full floating fly tipped with bait. (see my Colorado report in Trout section) A great method for youngsters and first timers, especialy on panfish and Bass.
John Eggers
Spindoctor

Boy... that went fast!
I took all day getting ready and shot footage for at least 30 minutes.

The news clip lasted about two minutes tops!

It went pretty fast.
It was great fun though... and I did see some orders from the KAAL viewing area this morning on my emails!

Thanks KAAL NEWS 6.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family