• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Star trib article by Pat R on Twins...LOL

Patrick Reusse: Twins do it their way
Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Published October 1, 2003 PATR01

NEW YORK -- There were two outs, runners on first and third and the Twins were leading the New York Yankees 3-1 in the bottom of the ninth. Eddie Guardado threw a ball to Nick Johnson, and the next pitch was lifted foul toward the Yankees dugout.

First baseman Doug Mientkiewicz and catcher A.J. Pierzynski came racing in pursuit, and so did Guardado. The ball went into the seats and out of reach.

Guardado received a new ball from plate umpire Ed Montague and started retreating to the mound. Mientkiewicz came alongside, put his left arm around Guardado's shoulders and spoke for a few seconds.

What words of encouragement was Mientkiewicz offering to the Twins' closer at this climactic moment of the AL Division Series opener against the Yankees?

"I told him, 'If I ever see you over here again on one of these popups, I'm going to whack you in the head,' " Mientkiewicz said. "I also said, 'If the ball is catchable, A.J. or I will catch it. We don't need a short little guy running around knocking our legs out from under us.' "

When he was done with this lecture on pop foul etiquette, Mientkiewicz added one more thought to his monologue: "Get this guy out."

You just gotta love those Twins. Good thing they handle those stessful situations better than me.

Mientkiewicz is one of the funniest guys in baseball. Writers love him because he is always saying some outlandish thing or another. I heard him on an ESPN interview and just about drove off the road he was so funny.
Gotta love these Twins.

mm

LOL

Ya I would say Mientkiewicz is a card. The best part about it is he like to fish too. Wonder how many fish "stories" (lies) he has. LOL grinno.gif

------------------
Fish ON!

I sure hope we keep him around for a long time, Doug Mientkiewicz is sure a fun guy and a great ball player. He seems to bring the whole team up with his enthusiasm.

Now, go out and wip the Yanks tonight and bring it home!