• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Its the MOST beautiful time of the year...

Walleye_GFA

Said in the campy car sales chant...

Well even though this weekend marks the unofficial end of summer, I thought of a bright spot....

Its also the unofficial time that the rec boaters put up their toys....

Wont be long till we have the waters once again...

;-)

Wally

Amen, Wally! Now think of this weekend as the opening season of REAL fishing!

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Yep! I love the fall fishing. The rec boaters are gone & the big fish are out chasin' big bait. Great time to catch some nice fish! Vern

I second that brothers. I had my fill of pleasure crafts on Minnewashta yesterday! Rodney Dangerfield said it the best, "I get no respect."

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 09-02-2003).]

Just startin' boys!!!

Next is the Fall hunters(nothing against hunting by any means) Just less on the water!
SO I guess Thanks!!!lol

Jim W

Oh yeah! The game fish are gonna head back up their tributaries from the main rivers (for whatever reason) and just HAVE to stop at my line for a little snack!
I've waited all summer for Sept/Oct!

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
"The bow is set to distant shore,
then loss is gained and gains once more.
When beach is reached and sails are torn,
the journey is it's own reward."

No offense to the hunters out there but this is when fishing is great, no people and big fish feeding!

Yeah. I agree. My house is also gun-free.. but I LOVE fall fishing. No skiers, and a lot less competition and "spot crowding" too. Not to mention the good fishin wink.gif. It's defiantly overlooked by some... September I rate as the best month for fishing out of the year. I usally pack the boat away in October myself. Time for the big hurrah! Now all we NEED is some RAIN so I can actually FISH the RIVER! Arg!!!

Hunting or fishing? Tough choice. Last year I found a way to do both. I brought one of my salmon rods with me while duck hunting. Tied a 5' piece of heavy braided line to the decoys neck and hung a large sucker off it. No anchor weight of course.I then tied off to the curly tail then set it out. The sucker made the decoy's head bob up and down like a chicken! Talk about giving life to your decoy spread, I liked it better than my mojo duck! My partner thought I'd lost my mind...Until the decoys butt was sticking straight up and moveing away! The next morning when my friend came to pick me up to go hunting, he smiled and shook his head when he seen the rod,minnow bucket,potatos,oil,frying pan,etc. As I was loading up the gear I noticed that he had brought a fishing pole too! smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I LOVE fall!

Yup-Yup, fall is good...I can dig it!

By far me favorite time of the year.

And it stays fall until I shovel the first 1' of pre-winter off my steps too!

grin.gif

It's not "Officially" Winter tell I can walk on the ice.

Then I may eliminate a bit of late fall denial.....and start to think winter....maybe?

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"
701-281-2300
[email protected]

Mid-September through mid-November are the best two months of the year IMHO! And then the next two months are the second best!

mm

I made a trip to a local lake yesterday near Hibbing and was surprised by the leaves already making a noticable change in color in some areas...

I got to the lake and noticed about half the boats already pulled on shore to be stored. We had all of 1 (one) other boat on the lake with an elderly couple to compete against.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.