• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Off Subject: How to get rid of ground wasps.

Just noticed that I have some bees not paying rent. So it's time to leave. It's a pretty big hive as they have two run ways. Departure and landing. I think they took over a woodchuck hole.

My buddy told me to use gasoline, but I don't want to dump that into the soil. I was thinking of flooding them out, but since it's all dry out will the soil just suck it all up.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBass

• Granny

• swampman

• can it be luck?

You could try and fill in the holes with dirt....or a couple M-80 fire cracker will do some nice damage! That might just make them mad though.

How about spraying in some bee and wasp killer. Raid or one of the other products. Just shoot it down the holes.

A few little tips on dealing with wasps and hornets and such from an admitted amateur.

I usually wait until dark to do the deed. That way I am fairly certain all of the residents are home, and not sneaking in behind me to inflict painful bites as I wipe out the nest.

Another good idea is to set a flashlight or other good light source in THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION from your retreat route. That will grab the survivors' attention should any escape the chemical streams, and buy you precious seconds to effect your escape.

Some of those ground nests are real hummers, holding gazillions of the fiends, so an extra can of spray to really pour the coals to 'em is a good idea.

Take no prisoners.

Just jump up and down on the area by the exit points...... smile.gif Wait, I thought you asked how to really get'em mad. I would go with the ol' couple cans of Raid. Of course the gasoline plan may work I believe you may have a grand explosion on your hands if you use too much. I'd just be ready to run which ever plan you decide on.

naaa...no explosion...all you need is just maybe a pint and make a little trail leading away from the hole...light the trail and you can watch the little buggers try to fly away with burning wings....lol...cant ya tell I hate wasps?...hehehehe

gasoline would be the best bet, just make sure you are far enough away when you light it, or else the wasps will not be the only thing flaming. a can or two of raid should also do it. Do wait until night tho the wasps will be less active, after dark would be the best time. check to make sure you get all the exist holes also, as they may have more then one.

How about use a combined effort of the raid and the pyro-technics. Like hold a lighter in front of the raid can, let her rip, and have a little fun in the process. I guess I wouldn't do it, but I would love to watch one of you guys make the attempt. Just another idea! Brian

LOL, The lil fire and raid can would be a lil to much fun. You would have ur lil own flame thrower! But ya the gasoline thing would work b/c that would burn them or atleast it would be very hot. For anything above ground i like to use Raid cans.

------------------
Fish ON!

Malathion [spelling?] is deadly to bees of all kinds. A strong mixture of the chemical and water in a one or two gallon sprayer shot down the hole or just pour it down if their runways are as big as you say.

The gas bit really does work. If you don't like to play with fire there is a powder that is on the market that works great for wasps that burrow in the ground. You sprinkle the powder in the holes and just wait. The powder will quickly kill any wasp that exits and enters through a hole with the powder in it. If you spray the raid types of products that can quickly be absorbed into the ground and have no negative effects on the wasps besides being really pissed off. You want to keep the sprays for the wasps that are above ground so you can soak the mud nests and such. Malathion does not really work that great on wasps, it will kill them just not right away like you would prefer when they are flying after you when you are running away screaming like a little girl!!! Save the malathion for killing mosquitos since that is where it works best. The dust is much safer to sprinkle around the hole at night then just leave and let them die. As a side note the ground types of wasps do kill spiders... I hate spiders way more than I hate wasps so I only kill off the wasps that are in high traffic areas. If it were up to my wife she would have every wasp in the area dead and live with the spiders... YUCK!!!

If you have to use Flamables, use charcoal lighter fluid, much less explosive of gas and burns a long time, just fill hole, then make a small trail with it.
Gasoline will create fumes, and they are very explosive, you will get a "boom" like you won't believe.

Last summer I did some work out where trout air used and found more wasps than I care to remember. I used the spray in an orange can from Menards. It shoots up to 25 feet away.

I would shoot the hole in the evening because this is when they return to the nest. After dark really spray the hole heavly and then cover it with a coffee can and a brick.

After a few days you can knock the can over with a long pole or tie off a string prior to setting it.
You will have a few straglers trying to get under the can the next day so spray them too.
The stuff comes out in a pretty good stream.

Good luck

Terry Hagstrom
Terry's Guide Service
www.fishingmn.com/terry

I had a problem like that last summer. I just went out at night and poured dawn dish liquid down the hole what it does is it paralizes there central nervous system and kills them within minutes the soap will weight their wings until death. Try that it worked for me and you could save the rest of your land from burning down. wink.gif
Scotty B

Ok, I think we have it now. Put a few
M-80's down the holes. Then dump some gas down the holes and make your self a little trail. If the gas soaks into the ground try using a rope or some cloth soaked in gas to give your self some distance. Strike a match and run like h3ll! If there are any straglers shoot em with the orange stuff the next day.

I had a similar problem at my hunting shack, someone told me to take a large clear glass bowl and cover the hole when it is night, they come out in the morning to look for food and can't get out. I wasn't sure that was going to work but I tried it and within 2 days there were no more coming out of the hole.

Although, the wasp spray that shoots 10-15 ft., I don't remeber the name, works great also.
Ole

WOW, I thought I'd get one reply. I don't know about that gasoline. My yard is pretty dry, but I used to like playing with fire. Lighter fluid works to and so does dawn dish soap huh?

Thanks for the replies - I have some ideas I can try. Oh the reason I need to get rid of these is because my g-friend is allergic.

I have run into these buggers a few times... they are nasty! I was shore fishing and must have stepped on a nest becuase they attacked me!!! I dropped my rod and jumped into the weedy, warm lake... The still hold onto your legs biting even when underwater. Crazy things.

Anyways, to get rid of them the gas idea would work alright, but its only going to burn at the surface. The fumes I suppose would kill them anyways. I think I would like the idea of throwing one of those jumbo smoke bombs in the hole and putting some sort of clear container over the hole so I can watch em fly out and be smoked (ie: an old aquarium) or maybe hook up a hose to your exhaust pipe and run it to the hole and floor it for a good 10 minutes. That should do the trick grin.gif

All right here you go...Start with the M-80's fireworks, try about 3 or 4 and see what happens. Go with gas next but not to much. Cool things down with the dawn dish liquid and then wash it all down with water. It works every time!!! Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

ok this will sound stupid but my dad had some behind the garage one year. he took a vacum cleaner and put the hose right by the hole and let it run sucked them right up as they were coming and going.only proablem was when he went to take the bag out it was humming pretty good.so he just turned it back on sprayed in some wasp killer and they all got quiet. good luck.

LOL - you guys are cracking me up.
Aren't M-80s a 1/4 stick of TNT?

Maybe I should get a shovel and start digging smile.gif Death wish! I hate bees especially these kind. Garbage eaters or meat eaters or picnic ruiners.
If it wasn't so dry I'd do the gas thing. So I may wait to see if we get some rain then light them up!

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. I stuck a hose down the hole and turned the water on. The only problem was I went back to see what was happening and got nailed. If you use water, stay away for quite awhile, do it at night, and take a look in the morning to see if they are still around. It got rid of them though.

When I have wasps or hornets to get rid of I always have a can of Foaming Bathroom cleaner with me. Really!!

The main weapon of choice is always gas or spray can killers, but for back up you can't beat the foaming bathroom cleaner. Instead of a narrow stream meant to be shot a distance, this stuff spreads out quicky and is probably only effective up to three feet. And no, I don't think it kills them, but I tell you what. It will drop them out of the air instantly.(you can step on 'em if it makes you feel better)

This works on the ones that are on a mission to "get" you, you know the ones, headed straight for you eyes. I've dropped them just inches before they get to me. The spray, foams instantly on contact, and the weight on their wings sends them down quick.

This thread cracks me up! It seems like a war room for humans vs wasps. Offensive tacticle manuevers involving dynamite, fiery explosions, chemical warfare, water cannons, etc. And defensive retreat plans even takeing in to consideration flanking enemy soldiers! Yes I agree, attack under the cover of darkness, ambush the enemy while they sleep! Aquariums to hold the POWs for torture and viewing, good idea!! Sgt. Rock reminds me of the officer in the air cav. that played in the movie "Apocalypse Now", you remember, "The smell of napalm in the morning". You could probably sell tickets to witness the D-Day invasion!!! smile.gif

I consulted an expert on this a few years ago. He recommended Ortho Sevin Dust be poured into the hole after dark. Any garden center or place where you can find garden chemicals has it. Like one person said, the buggers get it all over them going and coming and soon, it's over. It worked like a charm. It was all over with and soon. And no muss, no fuss.......T

But what's the fun in that??? No explosions, no girlish screams. Granted Ebass, may like it but then we wouldn't be able to hear his story of "well once the flames cleared, I didn't really have much of a yard left." Vs, "So I put the powder down the hole and, when I woke the next morning they were gone." Come on, who doesn't want to hear about the turmoils of Man Vs. Wasp? But in all seriousness, good luck and try not to get stung anywhere important.