• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GMRS/FRS LICENSE?

Blackstarluver

Does anyone know what I need to do to get a license to operate a GMRS radio?
Thanks!
God lyk!
JC

Wow! Here we go again. The US govt screwin us over by charging 150$ for operating two products that cost 40$!! I have thousands of dollars of fishing equipment and the cost of my fishing license won't equal the investment of my equipment ever! My drivers license fees will never equal what I pay for a car. but the license is more expensive than the product? I wonder how many people who bought the radios at the local discount store actually buy the license to operate 'em
God lyk!
JC

[This message has been edited by Blackstarluver (edited 07-31-2003).]

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I payed 14 bucks for a pair of GMRS/FRS with weather/scan & battery saver radios. Channels 1-7 are GMRS/FRS the rest are FRS only. Don't know if you need a license with the radio in your possession. What I'm getting at is you could use just the FRS channels and maybe get by, not sure. With the GMRS getting popular maybe the FCC will drop the fee. Seen it done with marine radios.
You can bet most GMRS owners don't know you need a license.

For what it's worth, using an unliscensed GMRS radio like the kind you buy at Gander Mountain will probably attract no attention if used for hunting/fishing applications.

Perhaps I will buy these things. The five and seven mile range would come in mighty handy. I would venture to guess that when the fees were instated the cost of the radio was greater than the price of the license.
Thanks for the replies.
God lyk!
JC

I sell two-way radios at work and when I was being trained, my manager said that there are really only about 8 people in the whole country that enforce the license law. Mostly out west in the big national forests and what not. Am I saying don't get it licensed? I'm saying use your own judgement. I just wouldn't use it in plain sight of a park ranger or someone in authority if it wasn't licensed.

GMRS or General Merchant Radio Service, was just that; for merchant use. Many businesses went about paying big money for these radios, and properly licensed them. With the availability of over the counter, innexpensive, Motorola's and others, the FCC is seeing just what they were afraid of, over-powered radios cluttering up a frequency meant to provide communication for businesses. "Blister-pack piracy" as it is called, is the failure to license cheap, and cheaply made radios. Experts believe there is a 90+ percent scofflaw rate and it is growing. All the FCC wanted to do was be able to reach a radio owner if the radio was distorted and messing up the airwaves. Remember CB? It got trashed because it's popularity exploded, and mega-watt radios made it useless for everyone else. So mellow out BSW, there are no government black helicopters out there trying to control your wallet and your mind. There is NO WAY TO CORRECTLY TRACE WHO HAS A LICENSE AND WHO DOESN'T. Even if they could, they would lose in court.

It's a shame there isn't a more equitable solution, but a libertarian for the airwaves attitude realy ins't an option......

So if I buy a 7 mile Motorola I really wouldnt need the licensing? Cool!

This five mile advertised range on these radios is pretty misleading.

This assumes labratory conditions. Good batteries , clear views, etc.

The antennas on these units are pretty innefficent, and is a biggest limiting factor. Add in some batteries that are in less than peak condition, hilly and/or forested terrain, and the five mile range becomes 1.5 in short order. This is still pretty good given the small size of these units.

That said, I have been quite happy with my Motorola units. We used them ice fishing out of Nestor Falls and they very handy. 3 miles was about the best we did on the GMRS frequencies.

Gissert's right guys. Their distance claims are not what they seem. When Apollo transmitted from the moon on a half watt. that was possible because there wasn't a thing between them and the receiving antenna on earth. Maybe 2 to 3 miles tops with the 2 watt units. Now, antenna mods would increase that but only one or two of the consumer radios have external antenna capabilities.

chunky
ex-radio junky