• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

T.I.P/or not?

I would try to approach him and just strike up a friendly conversation. Try not to be accusatory right away, and don't make it look like you came way over to him just to fight with him.

Last winter, I was icefishing with my father-in-law(65yrs old) who keeps pretty much every non-rough fish, and he proceeded to put 3 lines out. I commented that there is a 2 line limit, and he just shrugged his shoulders and said " it doesn't matter much if they aren't really biting". I fished for about 5 minutes more, saw that he really wasn't going to pull up a line, so I packed up and left, and told him I didn't wan't to be fishing with someone breaking the law.
It was a pretty big deal because my wife and I were spending the weekend at his house.

Things got better after awhile. I think I've gotten him to stop stockpiling his freezer (By loudly announcing to my wife "I guess we'll have to eat fish this week so we don't have over our limit in the freezer")
but it is tough getting him to C&R. I can tell it just burns him when I release nice pike and bass.

Good luck with trying to confront the old man.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• can it be luck?

• TeeDee

• Dave

• Mark Christianson

Nels !
I do believe we unknowingly have been sharing holiday dinners at the same table for the past few years! If we don't have the same father-in-law I'll be shocked to hear he has an identical twin. wink.gif -TROY

Just my two cents but...I believe that breaking the law is just that breaking the law. Ignorence is not an excuse and if I were to guess the "old timer" knows that he is bending the rules a bit. We drive up once a year to fish the land of 10,000 lakes and every year I print off the DNR information on the regulations and slot limits ect for the comming year, just so that we know and understand what the deal is...I guess I am worn out with people who don't take responsability for their actions...Just a question... but if the guy was a 20'ish guy with a bad attitude would everyone be so lienient? Just food for thought.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent

Call the game warden. At least let him decide if the older man should get a ticket or not. I wouldn't bother confronting him first. You already know more than likely he is not a very nice person, he **** near knocked you on the head with his anchor!

Rainman

I agree with DAVE, E-bass and aleksi_s and the others who have really thought this out. You guys would make great law enforcement officers. Snap decisions result in things like head on collisions(that's a metaphor).
Well after writing hundreds of lines in response I have decided to go with this one. It'll pi$$ of less people!
God lyk!
JC

I vote for calling TIP. The old guy knows what hes doing isn't legal and needs to be taught a lesson. Even if the conservation officer doesn't give a ticket, the old guy would think about it the next time hes out for the third day in a row. And he might talk to his friends that do the same, it would make them think about it also.

I would not wait 2 seconds to verbally "hassle" a violator. In fact, I wave them down or chase them down.
I had a guy troll past me on Tetonka with two rods out... I waved him to come back. When he returned, I pointed out to him he was in violation. He said that he was just taking the kinks out of the line on the "other" rod.
YEP... HE DID HAVE A LURE ON BOTH RODS...
I WATCHED HIM REEL UP THE "SECOND" ROD.
I told him that is a great way to get popped and pay a fine! Then I also told him that he had been trolling with his anchor down!
"Oh, he says... I musta have forgot that was down".
YEP... HE WAS USING THE ANCHOR TO SLOW DOWN HIS TROLL SPEED... DRAGGING IT WITH PLENTY OF ROPE OUT TO SNAG BOTTOM.
As he departed, I asked if he had his plug in his boat... smile.gif
Had he not got "legal", I would have simply called in his boat #'s to tip.

The one time I did call in a poacher, it was to Owatonna police. A guy took a bass out of season on our "city" lake, Kohlmier. He had a 10 year old boy with. No one looking, he runs the big fish to the car trunk and leaves. On my cell phone, while following him, I got the 911 opperator. I had her contact Owatonna police and had him stopped! He did the high speed chase thing... and it took four squad cars to catch him. It took a road block. At first he argued with the local police that it was Bass season! Turns out he had no fishing license, no drivers license, no insurance, and was "out" on parole.
The Owatonna asst. co. attourney let him plea-bargain off from both state game violations...(poaching fish and no license)... so that he would not have to go back to prison. She told me it was to save our state some money in keeping him behind bars.
I was not happy... frown.gif I figured he should be behind bars!
I told her if I ever hear of that again happening, that I will protest & picket her office.

My opinion is that "old timers" that have enough brains to buy a license, drive a car, pay taxes or collect S. S., etc... should have enough going (in the brain dept.) to respect their own state & federal fish & game laws too. I say bust 'em and let em pay the fines like everyone else. I feel it is part of my job to turn in violators and be a good stewart of our resources and an example to our youth. Seniors paying conservation fines sets an example to other seniors who might otherwise consider themselves above the law.
Thanks for the post... good stuff!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard
Catch-N Tackle

------------------
Catch'n Tackle
Tackle For The New Millennium
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Endorsed by FishingMN Family

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 07-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 07-18-2003).]

I admit, I'm slow on some things, did he have a plug on the end of the other pole or not? I assume he did but have read/heard that you should troll an open line to get the twist out.

And, the anchor rope....was that a stringer you're meaning or am I missing something?

Ya know, I'm actually learning something from this thread, hearing all the different viewpoints.

Seems to me it is one thing to keep over your limit, personallt i have turned in 2 groups of people staying at resorts that has gross overlimits- one group of 3 guys had over 125 northerns. Yet I think it is a much more trivial offense to use 2 lines. Personally i mostly practice catch and release because I don't eat fish myself very much, i like to fish the St.Croix and Wisconsin alot because i like using 2 lines, and i do so in minnesota as well in certain occasions. just because you use 2 lines does not mean you are hurting the fishery.

Ahhhhh, the old "I'll only follow the laws that I agree with" argument.

Well, if I was in cell phone range, I'd call the C.O., and since I'm always carrying a camera with a telephoto lens I'd snap a few.

Then motor up to the fellow (preferably shouting to him from beyond pistol range) that I've taken pictures of him, have watched him do this all these days, will testify in court and have called the C.O., who is my sister's husband and owes me big time for saving her from being an old maid.

Seriously, I'd do most of that, but would start it with a call to the C.O. And not only the C.O. Several times in Beltrami County, I've seen people checked by a pretty hot deputy number in a sheriff's boat. Bummer she didn't check me. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I fish for bass in a small lake in washington county, while I was out there one day I over heard a guy on shore telling a guy in a boat about all of the crappies that he had recently caught. The guy on shore pointed straight out from his dock and said that is where they catch them all. Not one to let a tip get away I motored out there and started catching crappies. They were all too small for my liking but it was fun to C & R. Shortly thereafter the guy on shore comes out with two other guys and they proceed to catch fish after fish and everyone of them went into the bucket. I watched them for a while but could not take it any more, I went home and called the CO. I gave him the discription of the the boat, the guy and the house he lives in. The CO tells me " Oh I know that guy, I'll go talk to him" Geez how long has he been poaching I wondered.

Some guys just don't get it.
I'd call the CO, let them do their job.

------------------
If the women don't find you handsom, they should at least find you handy.

Dave,
I'll try to finish the picture here:
Yep... he had a lure on both rods, which I saw as he reeled "the second rod" in. That was the rod which was positioned very low and consealed some-what in the floor of his boat... just the tip was showing while trolling.
Yep, he was using his anchor to slow his troll speed down! Plenty of rope was out for it to be dragging the bottom.

These types are out there... and so are we!

Catch'n
Dave Hoggard
Catch-N Tackle Co.

------------------
Catch'n Tackle
Tackle For The New Millennium
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Endorsed by FishingMN Family

TeeDee has not ever mentioned anything of fact other than a man fished five days and had good luck. Old is a matter of opinion. Lots can mean 10 when not used to catching fish. There was also a mention of fish being thrown back. Obviously this "older man" had some guidelines, and was not totally indiscriminate as lead to believe. Any record of numbers, or species? I think I can answer that...NO. Fished for 2-3 hrs then leaving. Most poachers I've heard of are GREEDY, and would have a hard time leaving when the bite is on. Especially if the individual was as blatant as so described. If he does know the law I dont think he would've patterned himself to time and places. Makeing assumptions of ones eating habits? Now this is just a possibility Jealousy, I see you did attempt and manage to take "his spot". I've had that happen before. Lets not jump to conclussions based on what info. has been given. Got to stop here as I am starting to "assume right now". Want assumptions? Talk to my ex-girlfriend. You had better be certain when you start "pointing fingers", Get all the facts before you start makeing assumptions...then and only then will you find the TRUTH!!!

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 07-20-2003).]

I'd call the CO. Some guys are 6'6 and built like a linebacker. Those guys can confront the guy, not me. Not my style. In my few years in Minnesota, I have seen some first rate jerks on the water or at the access, as well as some really great people. But we can all easily recall a few jerks and you cannot predict the reactions of others any longer.

Besides, if I believed 1% of what the media says about Conceal and Carry, this guys packing and ready to use it. smile.gif

Guess this gets down to ones style of confrontation. Do you confront people or leave it to others whose job it is. Personal choice.

The one point to consider is maybe the CO knows this guy is a problem and does not have the time to watch him with all of his other duties. He/She may just need the "TIP" to get the evidence against the person they need.

That and the impact of one poacher, whether it is 500 trout or 150 northerns, both cases being in the media the past few years. We need to get these people off the water now.

I have not read through this whole thread so I may be off base here. All I can say for sure is I would do something about it to make sure it ends!

It's a judgement call that only you can make being there and dealing with the situation as it unfolds. I think would let my  instincts (sp?) be the judge on how to proceed.

I might go out and fish by the guy and try to strike up a conversation just to get a feel for what level he is on. You never know, He could be a Forest Gump.

But, If I got the feeling he was a game pig and just didn't care - I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to bust is a$$ and I would be thrilled to sit out there and watch it happen grin.gif.

Good luck in dealing with it.

------------------
CWCS Supporter - Keep it open for Everyone.

Crank the Shank!

this may be a little off topic but how do the COs check what you have in the freezer thaw out all the fish and wreck all the meat to see that mabey so mabey not your over the limt that seems a little more unsportsman like than (not saying i would) keep a couple extra crappies or sunfish that you will actually EAT instead of off an assuption have a warden check your frezzer and ruin a legal possesion limit of fish that could belong to him his wife and 4 licensed grand children at his cabin the point is i would talk to the man you never know there could be 6 legal fisherman there accounting for/eating those fish

[This message has been edited by Fish On (edited 07-21-2003).]

Exactly, I have an Ohio annual license. This license entitles me to 6 fish a day without any stipulation to possesion limits. Also licenses from a few other states as well. The season in Ohio does not close, although there's a reduced DAILY bag limit of 3 walleye for a short time of the year. Combined total? Well over a couple of thousand fish! Count my freezer to find the origin of my fish? I think not, lets not waste time on guesswork. Can anyone answer how many fish? What kind of fish? Fish baskets do hang in the water you know. What side of the boat was this ALLEGED crime viewed from? Maybe the fish only appeared to have been thrown into a partialy submerged basket. Was the basket ever taken out of the water completely as to see its full content? These are questions you better have answers to before you go off half-cocked! Please do not give anyone LEGAL advise without all the information! People and wardens have been killed dealing with poachers!!!!! Not to say he is, that would be an assumption based on hear say. And to tell someone to confront them, crazy. If anything were to happen(slim)hope you sleep good giveing possibly bad advise!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 07-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-21-2003).]

A CO has the tools to get the evidence needed to resolve the situation.

They can and do video tape from great distances, day or night. They also have the right to search homes or vehicles if a offense if suspected and probable cause has been established.

If you suspect an offense has occurred document as much as possible from at a safe distance, then call it in.

Let them do their job, they do it very well.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

I forgot to mention, with perch,bass,and other species included in my legal daily bag limits from other states, I figure I can legaly keep at least 12,ooo gamefish and an unlimited amount of rough fish. White bass, I love em. No limit at all for them on at least two of my permits. Fish in my freezer? You bet! I'm very partial to cheeks. They remind me of tasty scallops,mmm. All legal mind you. Please dont get the impression my freezer is stockpiled, it's not. I take when the bounty is good in reasonable limits, and know enough about the fragile ecosystems and the ability of man to deplete them. I think any sportsman has this strong code of ethics. If not, stay the hell away from me! I hunt and fish with a lot of people once, that's all the time it takes to figure an individuals ethics. If I see unsafe gun handling or wonton waste of game, DONE. Fishing no different. BUT WAS THER A CRIME COMMITED? You can't answer this.

there has been a lot of comments here, and everyone has their own opinion. bottom line: if we are to continue to have fish and game for our childern and grandchildern, we need to be responsible in the taking of fish and game. Part of that is being responsible and contact a CO and let him or her sort out the facts. True there are not enough to go around these days and they have a diffuclt job. If we do not act now, all of us will lose in the end. Being old, does not give an individual the right to break the rules, because they feel they have paid their dues. My step-father was one of these, was blind in one eye with the other failing and he still felt he could drive. We finally managed to get him to give up his DL and not drive anymore. Not only for his safety, but for others as well. As far as calling TIP, we all have to do what we feel right doing and live with it after, as for me CALL.

opsirc

Everyone be careful with you THOUGHTS. No one ever said this man lived on the lake. Vacationer like TeeDee? A man catches fish, illegal? This man may be in another Forum complaining about rude and inconsiderate people spying and stalking him and trying to take his favorite spot, and you may be talking to him without even knowing. We all have some "secret" spots we like to keep to ourselves, dont we? I sure do like to ASSUME things....NO RULES OR FACTS to base anything on......WIDE OPEN. Perhaps Frontier Justice should be used. Lets all go lynch this eldely senior and hang him from a tree. If he's Chinese we'll call him Lyn Ching. Perhaps dunk him in the water to see if he floats? We will then know if he's a witch or something. Lets burn a cross in his yard, I heard thru the grapevine and from a friend of a friend of a friend that people that are good fisherman are also KKK members. At least that is what I heard, not what I know for fact. Who needs fact? Get him boys! Hoist that scurvy dog to the yardarm! Lets all meet and ambush the elderly gent and then explain to his family why.....because TeeDee said he caught some fish for your dinner. A quote I made in a different forum...While mankind has progressed, some have regressed, yes Neanderthals do exist!!

Can it be Luck,
I appreciate your concern over this man's well being. Trust me, he will not be harmed.
I am not out on a "witch hunt". I know what I saw, and what I saw bothered me. {thus the questions posed to fellow fisherman that read this forum}
The ideas have been very constructive and helpful and I thank everyone for that.
You seem to be bothered by this, are you hiding something? Will I see you next week?
TD

TeeDee are you implying something to me? Perhaps as you have done about others? If so, come out and say it. This way of thinking is what I'm talking about!!!!! And tell me exactly, what you seen, numbers and species. exactly!

Can it be Luck,
So your vote would ne to leave it alone?
If so, I can appreciate that.
Thanks!!
TD

Can it be luck --chill out-- Nobody said that they wanted to lynch the guy. And as far as proof of a crime being commited, you don't have to prove anything to call TIP. It is the CO's job to prove if the guy is over his limit-- not ours. If anyone suspects another angler is over their limits then call- that's what TIP is for.
You shouldn't get upset if some one calls TIP on you-- I for one wouldn't mind if some one else called on me-- because I am never over my limits. It also is comforting that some one else besides me cares about the lake I'm fishing.
So go ahead call on me-- I'm lonley out there on the lake anyways. I'd love to talk to the CO.

[This message has been edited by B-bear (edited 07-21-2003).]

canitbeluck, settle down!! Take a walk and chill out!

Teedee asked a simple question and people gave their opinions, no more, no less. The worst case scenario if TeeDee's 'assumption' is wrong is that a CO will talk to the old guy, find out that nothing is wrong, and life goes on. If the old guy is poaching, he gets nabbed - as he should be. No need to get bent out of shape.

Wow,

can it be luck has a lot of ideas! I think the bottom line here is that if TeeDee wants to see the right thing done then he has to call TIP. Let the CO sort it out and if the old guy has done nothing wrong then it is over. I know I would not have any problem having a CO ask me a few questions to see if I am in compliance because I know I am in compliance!

TeeDee, It's everyone's job to help conserve our resources. I use extreme scenarios to make my point. Check my freezer? Feel free, I have nothing to hide. Knowing all the facts is what I'm trying to get across. Believe me I'm the first one to make the "call" when needed. can it be luck? smile.gif PS I also achieved my first FM milestone 100 posts

Giant-Jackpot and B-bear, I like the way you think! We must have been composing/posting at the same time!