• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

T.I.P/or not?

Recently, my family and I spent a week at a small resort in Northern MN. During my time spent on the water, I noticed a pontoon that would pull up and anchor on the same spot every morning. {an older gentlemen all by himself} He would stay there 3 to 4 hours the whole time pulling in crappies and sunnies. Size didn't matter as most would end up in his basket. This basket would get very full.
I watched him do this at least 5 days that week. Now, unless he ate these fish everyday or gave them away to people he knew, he had to have a freezer full of fish that would put him over his limit.

Do I make a phone call? Do I confront him myself? What would you do?
Thanks in advance for your input!
TD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• can it be luck?

• TeeDee

• Dave

• Mark Christianson

TIP all the way!!!
People can be greedy and do some things that may be a little extreme, but there is no justifying what that guy is doing.

Last year a guy was busted bringing tons of fish over his limit, back to his winter home(whereever that was). He was bringing home fish for family and relatives, and if my memory serves me right, he admitted to doing it for years, and didn't have any remorse.
Jerks!

I agree with Dave. I would confront him and let him know of your observations and possibly calling TIP. I wouldn't hesitate to ask him to release the fish in his basket either smile.gif

It's easy to catch a limit of crappies and sunnies these days with the lowered possession limits! 3-4 hours of catching can be a lot of fish!!!!

I was going to wait awhile to tell you why I'd talk to the old guy but I'll tell you why now before too many people think I'm off my rocker. How many CO's do we have in the state? Don't you think it'd be better and more efficient to help the CO's out instead of them getting call after call about someone keeping too many fish? In some cases, and this being one in my book, I'm sure the CO's have more important things to do.
Don't you think it would be more polite and maybe easier on the old guy if you kindly mentioned what he was doing is against the law? No age was mentioned of the older guy. Maybe he doesn't know the laws. I know many of my relatives don't know all the laws. Heck, I don't.
Lastly, maybe that's all the guy has to do in life, ya never know.

Let me clarify this line "In some cases, and this being one in my book," I meant because he's an old guy maybe out enjoying the one thing he can do. I don't agree with keeping over limits.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 07-15-2003).]

From my observations, I think the older generation is more likely to have their freezers stocked with overlimits of fish than generations that didn't grow up during the depression. There seems to be no such thing as catch and release to them.

And I would prefer that the CO's would target these game and fish violators over chasing some punks on an ATV or some dude burning some shingles in a burn barrel. That should be the most important aspect of a Game Wardens job, enforcement of game and fish laws. Make the call, let the CO decide on the violators fate.

[This message has been edited by Duffman (edited 07-15-2003).]

I can see it both ways. I hope the old guy isn't packing heat so the worst that could happen if you talk to him is that he gives you some guff. Although, if you plain don't want to deal with approaching him then call TIP.

It's people like the old guy that starts threads titled, "Where did all the crappies go?"

Duffman, that's a good observation. Also, how many of the older generation don't know that "limit" means what's in the freezer, too....

I agree that talking to him would be a good idea, but my experience with that is not a positive one. I've tried to be very nice and acted like I was assuming the guy was uninformed- but he didn't take kindly to my "helpful words". I've had similar reactions to people who were breaking the law. If the guy is an "old timer" he's almost definitely aware of the law. Talking to him about it would most likely leave him deciding YOU were the jerk. If it were me, I'd call TIP ASAP.
However, if I thought someone was unaware of the law, I'd probably try help them out by informing them. If they reacted negatively, I'd call TIP immediately.
Scoot

I didn't know until a week ago that there was a freezer limit. It was a good thing, I had just started to keep fish and hadn't exceeded my limit!! That could have been bad. It was strange for me at first to understand this but I have now come to my senses. MN sure aint like home. We would keep our catches until the end of the summer and have a fish fry with the whole extended family. I miss those days. Oh well, since I fish in MN now, I will abide by the rules.

Several postings about, "Maybe he doesn't understand the limits or laws."

Ignorance is no excuse.
If you buy a license, its your responsibility to understand the limits and laws.

I'll chime in here. As far as turning in someone who is obviously and egregiously exceeding their limits I can agree that this is something we should all do. However, I think it is important to draw a few distictions - it sounds like a lot of these previous posters are a little on the aggressive side. Exactly how much time do you spend watching what's going on in other boats? Can you really tell the difference between a 17 and a 20 inch walleye from 150 feet away? For my money we should all try to keep in mind the SPIRIT of the law, as well as the letter in deciding whether to call TIP rather than attempting to be John Q. Law and report every little thing we think might be going on in other boats.
And, also, can someone please tell me why in the wide world of sports one cannot have more than one line in the water? I mean, six fish is six fish is six fish. Is the DNR afraid we'll catch our limit too fast?

aleksi_s, Why would you want to fish with two lines anyways? Isnt fishing all about the challenge? Why would you want to make it any easier?
Fishing with 2 lines gives you a easier chance to catch your limit. It can also temp people to double dip or keep more than their limits of fish in their freezer.
I think the reason you can only fish with one line in the summer is b/c you are not in one spot all the time like you are in the winter; or you can move 10x as fast to a different spot in the summer verse the winter.

Now if this old gentlemen was keeping all these fish, how many limits do you think he could keep in his house and still be legal? 1? 2? 3? But like some said it would not hurt to call TIP.

------------------
Fish ON!

Its easy to count to ten... if you dont know how you should not fish... Hes been doing it his whole life and nothing will change it now...

If I saw it I would call... its the CO's job to cite poachers, old and young... over the limit is over the limit... I would not choose to explain it to people who ahve the same reg book as I do...

If he is down on his luck he can always shoplift or steal right ??? Oh yea those are REAL crimes... if he is hungry he can go to a food bank... not saying I would not do the same thing if I were starving, but a foodshelf would probably give him more eats than poaching an extra 20 sunnies or crappies...

Wally

I understand that the law is the law, but; Would you call the local constable whenever you saw someone pass on the right while driving? would you call in if someone passes you and you are doing the speed limit and they just fly on down the highway? The import you place on things in your life skew your reasoning when it comes to many issues. Remember that when you call in on a fisherman who thinks what they are doing is okay, someone who holds something else in higher regard, than you, may call the authorities and report you even though you think that what you are doing is no big deal. Stepping down.
My2
God lyk!
JC

[This message has been edited by Blackstarluver (edited 07-15-2003).]

I did it this spring....this old timer was fishing with two lines, in front of my house, and I informed the local Conservation Officer. The CO was at my place within 15 minutes and proceeded to track down the fishermen and write out a citation. For me, it was a hard call to make, but looking back it was DEFINITELY the right thing to do.

The fishermen pleaded ignorance to the rule, but in the past this same guy would double dip panfish in the spring. So I guess at least he now knows that he is being watched and I believe a second offense means he will loose his license!! A VERY hard lesson to learn. Nav

Last year while fishing on Mille Lacs I witnessed a boat that was keeping illegal length walleyes. These guys weren't even being sly about it, pull them in, unhook and in the cooler. There were a lot of other boats in the area, We all just watched in amazement, I think we were all in a state of shock at what we were seeing. Finally another boat asked what they were doing? A beer swilling guy running the boat said everything was ok they had chief Wahoo in the boat. These guys were no more Indian than I am, I didn't hesitate I made the call. As a matter of fact I have the TIP # programed into my cell phone, I would suggest others do the same.

As far as the older gentelman is concerned, try to have a conversation with him, maybe he is a little down on his luck and is eating fish three times a day. I have a soft spot in my heart for older people and would like to give them the benifit of the dought. I also realize the law is the law, it applies to us all! you may need to make the call.

Good luck!

TIP all the way, let the CO decide whether he deserves a break.
I have compassion for the "greatest generation" as well but some people don't think the rules pertain to them. And others feel they have been doing it that way for decades, so it must be legal and OK.
Just my 2 cents.

I'd confront the guy taking what belongs to all of us, knowing that only in a rare instance would you be able to gain a friend in someone like this anyway. I'd hesitate reporting it because of experiences Up North 30 years ago. We reported that a small group of hunters with a nearby cabin shot boatloads of ducks daily, left their decoys out after the 4 p.m. cutoff and even put lead into a friend's wooden boat when she decided to fish a few yards in front of their permanent blind. The officer who duly reported each time gave out verbal warnings, returned the decoys we collected several times with no citations given, and the worst thing was the kingpin of the operation was a judge! I'll give no further identifying info as he may be retired but he ain't dead yet. The judge reportedly threw the book at anyone in his court with any game or fish violation. Granted, the officer belonged to a law enforcement agency that was in its infancy but still should have had jurisdiction. Though I feel all are equal, I've found that some are more equal than others in this life. If I've spoken to the gentleman and his behavior doesn't change, Karma may deal with him later. My $.02.
Kevin

An older guy living on the lake does not make it "HIS" lake same rules apply to everyone, if he has a reason or needs a break let the CO make that call. The CO's are all human beings you do realize, except that guy on Koronis that checked our boat 3 times for life jackets on the same weekend, (just kiddin about him not being human, but he did check us 3 times)

After the Vietnam war, a lot of people immagrated here. I was alwats hearing about these peoplekeeping 5gal buckets of fish. Shooting anything that moves. Then I would ask the witness if a CO or the police notified. The answer would be "well no" than followed by some excuse why they didn't report them. Now these people have been educated about the laws we have and the problem, though still there, is not as huge. If the TIP # had been used as often as the finger pointing machine, the education would have happened sooner. The TIP # is written down in my boat, and if I wittness some thing wrong I will totally ruin some ones day. smile.gif

------------------
Bigsucker

I would talk to the gentleman first. We once had a old timmer that lived on our lake.Believe this or not, he did the same thing,but would get back to the front of his place and dump out buckets of fish off his dock, his thoughts the fish would stay in his newly planted lily pads,so he would have to spend $$$$ for outboard gas...he was never the same after his wife died..My point is make sure this man is really cleaning these fish...Goose

Wow!
I appreciate everyone's remarks!
I will be there again in 2 weeks.
I will talk to him first {hoping that his German Sheppard doesn't take my arm off} and if it doesn't feel right, I'll make the call.
Aleksi_s, belive me when I say he isn't shy about the size of his fish. One morning, I was in "his spot" and he nearly dropped his anchor in my bow. {I was able to see very well}
Thanks again everyone!!!
TD

A little advice.
If you talk to him, and he continues to do it; then you call the Game Warden; who do you think he is going to blame for his troubles? It will be you, and who knows how psycho people are these days.
I would not risk confronting him.
If he is such a jerk that he throws his anchor in your boat, turn him in.
Sounds like a guy that thinks he owns the lake.
If everything is legal, no big deal. I am sure CO's take plenty of false calls, and I bet they appreciate every call that is placed.

Looks to me that a lot of people are crossing bridges before they arrive at them.
God lyk!
JC