• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spinning rod suggestions

I'm looking for a new spinning setup. I havent used one in about 3 years after switching to baitcasters, but would like to start again. I'm looking for suggestions, here are my criteria:
1. Using it for bass and northerns
2. I like very stiff, med to heavy action
3. One piece, long butt
4. $50-$60
Any suggestions on reels in the same price range would be great also.
thanks

Scheels makes some nice rods and they stand behind them too. If you break one they will replace. Guide series are nice at Gander Mt. too. I use the G-Loomis myself, but for the price you can't go wrong with the above.

I used to swear buy Quantum Energy reels on Berkley lightning rods, but I have not been as happy with the latest Quantum's that I have bought.
The Scheels suggestion was right on the head. I picked up a Scheels combo for Ice and now for summer and I could not be happier. Someone told me that they get their rods made by St. Croix. The reels that our local store is putting on their combos are VERY nice. I think you could pound RR spikes with those reels. Absolutly ZERO reverse on the reel as well. If you have a Scheels in your area, check them out. I think I paid 50.00 for the combo on sale. Its a 2 piece rod, but sturdy and has a longer handle like you were looking for.

Hope that helps,
Jeremy

------------------
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he will steal all your best spots!

I bought a 7' one piece long handle medium action Jig A Whopper. I know, I never heard of them either. It's was on sale for 40 but normally 60 or so. I like it though. I caught some nice fish on it already. I got it at Midwest hunt and fish in Fridley. Lot's of rods, most on sale.

I use a gander mt reel that's getting kinda shabby, but still works.

I've use Berkley Series One mostly over the years and they have worked well for me. However, I must agree that St. Croix does make some very fine rods too.

I pick a rod not by the "action" but for the "feel"... wanting a lot of "backbone" and a fast tip. I like setting the hook hard and the backbone (or stringth of the rod) is important... the fast tip I enjoy in making it more fun in playing fish. More, I want to have a good tramsnmission of vibration and feel the "tick" of a light bite through the rod down to my hand. I like having an IM6 or better blank on a graphite reel seet for "the feel"... I miss too many fish on light jigs without a "good" rod in my hand. For cranks or spinner-baits, the "action" and feel is much less inportant. But for jigging, I do need the right rod.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard
Catch-N Tackle Co.

For that price range, a Berkley Lightnin' Rod is a good bet.

You can mate it with a nice Shimano 4000 series reel costing $50 to $60 and spool her up with 12-15 pound line, or 25/12 Fireline, and have a versatile combo.

Gander Mountain GS rod and reels are very good for the price. I picked up a 8 bearing medium size spinning reel for $40.00 and a 7' single piece rod for aboout the same. It works great.

I got a Pflueger Trion rod reel combo 7' med heavy. Absolutely love it! Outdoor Life rated it a best buy last year and it fits your price range.

mm

And it is one piece and IM8 graphite.

[This message has been edited by mistermom (edited 06-27-2003).]

I would definitely get a gnder mtn IM8. They're nice and stiff and a great buy at 50 bucks. I compare them to the st. croix premiers (80 bucks). I've tried the lightning rod signature series and didnt like it. "medium action" gary roach rod was way too soft for my taste and I hate chromium guides. I've also tried rapala's $50 rod and thought it was a real decent rod although not quite as stiff as I like for most applications. the fenwick eagles used to be 50 bucks and pretty stiff and not bad to fish with. The new ones look pretty goofy though with that wierd gray foam looking handle thing. (maybe those arent eagles, anyhow theyre fenwicks and the same price range) I've never really liked the cheap fenwicks as much as st. croix. I broke one once trying to free a jig from a rock. The galyans IM8s are too soft for my taste. In my opinion, you cant get a better 50 dollar rod than the gander mtn IM8. Ive never heard of scheels, but if st. croix makes them and theyre only 50 bucks, I would check that out.

I just bought a Fenwick HMX for 50 bucks on sale and am very happy with it. I normally like the one piece myself but this is a very decent 2 piece. It has a sensitive tip and plenty of backbone. I coupled it with a pflueger Trion reel, it has an auto stop, really good drag, and is really smooth. The reel I got for about 50 bucks also. A couple of years ago I bought a berkley TGS, titanium guide system, I like this for superlines because it won't eat 'em. Bout $30. I myself also like the lightning rods. Guide series are also great buys for what you get.

Fenwick has been good for me. Try Okuma reels they are great and well priced. Stay away from the G.M. reals, they dont last. Berkly makes some good low end rods too. Also Rapala came out with a new rod and it has a great warranty at $20-$29. Also over the counter replacement.

Try the Shimano Clarus, bought one a couple of weeks ago and pulled up some nice hogs from Mille Lacs with it just fine.

thanks alot for all the suggestions. I still don't know what i'm going to try. Does anyone have anything good to say about the shimano rods?

dont forget to check out the Rapala series of rods, awesome rods at a great price. and a one-year no questions asked warranty.

I own some Loomis rods and St. Croix rods also, I really liked the light feel of the Shimano rod. Some rods you pick up have a heavy balance, but this rod has a ligher feel to it like my Loomis's. I thought it was a great buy.