• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Leeches and crawlers

How long will they stay alive and in good shape in their original (bait shop) container, in the refrigerator.

I have some of each left over from last Wednsday night is when I bought them, and their still in my fridge.
Maybe i should go take a look,, heh

Leeches only about 3-4 days before I have to change the water, yuk. I have well water and it still gets that way. No city water!!

I had 2 dozen nightcrawlers from August last year through March in the fridge. Oops. They did work for the sunfish through the ice and they were still alive!!

Crawlers will keep indefinately with periodic feeding. I use fat and sassy bedding. It only cost $3 for a pound and will keep 80-90 crawlers going for a month or so. Leeches are tougher, as stated earlier change the water very often.

With both, get dead ones out quick!!!

wasn't there some sort of leech bedding that came out on the market not too long ago? It was sorta like crawler bedding and could keep leeches alive for a couple months?

CD, and anyone else who's on their own well system. Get yourselves 1 or 2 of those mesh "leech tamers", and keep your leeches in the toilet tank. Yes the toilet tank! Stays plenty cool and the water gets changed everytime someone flushes. May want to tell the other half just to avoid trouble if she finds them on her own. Don't want those tidy bowl blue tabs in there either! Works great!

Fisky

BoB O, thats what my leeches came in, kind of like that gray looking soft crap.
Just went and checked on both and they look pretty good yet, gave the leeches a fresh bath. My little boy likes the leeches and crawlers and gets pretty upset when i put them back, thing is, I have to get him sidetracked when I put them in the fridge, or they will be all over the house if he knows where they are, heh.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

fiskyknut
Great idea. I'll tell the Tidy Bowl man in the little boat, hands off. smile.gif

Hmm blue leechs.

Hmmmmm

Better make sure the lid to your leech tamer is on tight. I think you might lose some brownie points with the misses if she gets up from the can and finds some leeches on her booty.

I could add some additional verbage here to expand on my sick imagination, but for the sake of good taste I will practice some self-censorship.

I'd be more worried about your wife's reaction to seeing them swimming around in there after she has a movement......

"Honey......I think I have an intestinal problem!!"

Wow, Fisky that's a great idea! I will try that. I'll give a couple dozen the test first, because the soft water from the tap has not treated my leeches too well. It's worth a shot.
Do you have a water softener?

Hey guys here is what has been working for me. I have had approx half pound of leeches since opener. Used most of them between opener and Memorial day then bought another half pound on the way home. Just checked them and they are as livley as ever. I use a 5 gallon bucket and the kids old aquariam filtration system. It continually recirculates the water through a carbon filter. I think these cost about 10 00 bucks at the pet store if you need to buy them new. Anyway I keep them downstairs in the mechanical room and don't need to deal with water changing or the wife yelling at me for them being in the fridge. I plan to buy another half pound on the Fourth and see if I can keep them until September for the fall walleye bite on up on Winnie

Nope, I have an R.O. filtration system. Not sure what softner salt would do to them.

Fisky