• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rules and regs for bringing beer into Onterio

What's the deal with bringing booze into Onterio?
I know you can bring crawlers into Ont. in a sterile medium. Is it true you can't bring any leeches in, regardless of the medium they are transported in?
Scoot

No leeches.
I think its one liter of booze or one case of beer that you can bring without paying duty tax.

FYI too, reading a posting on a resort site from Canada... The owner said NOT to bring in POTATOS. Must be some sort of backlash to the mad cow reaction to Canadian beef.

Bring a copy of your birth certificate too. The "random" checks can be a pain in the arse.

Here's an idea..Go to Alaska instead, it's cheaper, better fishing, there's no regs on what you can/can't bring and best of all...your money is staying in the good ol' US!!! smile.gif

I always liked buying Canadian beer in Canada. American beer is like making love in a canoe.

mm

That is correct. 1 of either and no live bait. I also seem to think you can't have beer in your boat unless it has a permenant, built-in head.

You can have two cans of beer for each legal adult in your boat, can't drink it in your boat. The two cans are for "shore lunch"

Can bring in crawlers in worm bedding, but not in dirt. One litre of booze or 24 (12 oz) cans of beer per legal age adult. Anything above and beyond that you must pay a duty on.

------------------
Paul
[email protected]

actually it's a case of beer or 40 oz. of booze. that's why the tax free store at the border sells mostly 40 oz. bottles you wont see these anywhere else. such as a 40 oz. bottle of crown royal for $14.95! a liter is 33.5 oz. i think. get the crown at the tax free and the beer in can. the birth cert. is important only for your kids and especially if one of there friends is along. its to keep people from bringing kids that arent theres across the border. unless they're supposed to be with you. i agree with the alaska idea did you here canada just passed a law making gay marriage legal!

Hiya,
You can bring a liter of liquor or one case of beer across.

I don't know about the 2 beers per adult in the boat rule. I'd ask customs on that one when you go through the border. I DO know that if they gig you for having booze in your boat, it gets spendy. It's an $80 Can. PER CONTAINER fine. Know of a group of walleye fisherman that got nabbed on Rainy L. with 2 cases of beer in the boat. Do the math...

If you're bringing booze across the border, declare it and pay the duty - it ain't much money, and they can really make your life miserable if they catch you trying to sneak it across. At the Rainy River crossing a few years ago I sat behind a guy who got caught with 9 beers over his limit, and he didn't declare them. Customs guy asked him twice if he had any booze, guy said no both times, they searched his boat, and found 33 beers. The customs guy let him go eventually (after he paid his duty) but before that he put the fear of god into him just to make a point - told the guy his rig (Ranger 690 behind a new Suburban) was being confiscated, tagged it, had another customs officer drive it away, and hauled the guy into the C&I office for quite a while. Guy was white as a sheet. By the time I got up to the window I was ready to declare stuff I didn't even have just to be safe smile.gif Point is, it ain't worth it to save 2-3 bucks on duty.

Cheers,
RK

Just got back from Lac Seul and checked the laws again while I was there. There is NO booze allowed in the boat for shore lunch or otherwise. You may only transport to a campsite. The resort owner did say the CO's have the discretion to allow you to have a beer for shore lunch and probably won't give you a hard time. Paying duty is not cheap. I brought a 1.75l Bottle across once and they charged $9 duty on it, but it's better than going without.

One thing I found interesting is that if you are between 19-21 years old, a person 21 or over can buy you beer before you cross the border. At the border the 19-21 year old can then claim the beer.

Bring as much beer as you can bring, does anyone know what the duty is on each case of beer? We paid $37.50 Canadian $ for a case of Budweiser, based on the Canadian Bank exchange rate of $1.37 US per Canadian dollar, that's $27 US dollars. If the duty is less than $10, it's a better deal to pay it and bring more. You might save money. Most places we went gave an exchange rate of $1.25 US per Canadian dollar even though the bank exchange rate was $1.37. Rapala's were about $8 U.S. when purchased in Canada. I love going to Canada and everybody there has been cool to me, but expect it to be spendy when you go. Best of Luck!

Pro-V,

You don't happen to fish Lac Seul outposts do you? We just returned early from our trip to Lac Seul because of the huge forest fire there. Called up yesterday and it appears they finally put the 28 mile long blaze out.

Pro-V

No problem, I have this friend of mine that got back from same lake last week, I thought you might know him.

One of these days I'll try it too, sounds like is Heaven....

VALV - nope, just a local bunch of us G.R. buddies that have been fishing together the last 20 years.

We don't fish the Outposts but do fish Sen Bay. Watched the fire come at us Friday June 20th till we saw flames. It jumped the lake and burned the island we had lunch on 4 hours earlier. We headed out to check the route back while one of our boats stayed and got pictures. VERY wild. Had pine needles falling out of the sky into our boats. Heard Deception landing area is closed.