• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sat. on the big pond

Terry Hagstrom

After pleading with my wife of 19 years to fish Mille Lacs with me, She finaly went today. I **** near fell over when she suggested it.
We caught quite a few fish with a few 16-17/12" fish that were invited to diner tomorrow. She caught her biggest fish 26" and I held her off with one at 26 1/2". I also caught the most and with her catching the first (she counted a rock bass!)I managed to take a dollar from her. The typical first most largest bet senario.
Anyway, what worked best for us on some rock in 20-24 was a chartrues/orange hatchet blade with a pumped up crawler behind a 2 oz. bouncer. It was blowing go out of the South/southwest at around 20-25mph.

Went out to Baken and caught some there also. A guy pulls up and stats fishing right behind me, almost runs into me. I looked at him and he says "what?" I relied " there is 150,00 acres in this lake and you feel the need to fish with in 6 feet of me?" He said he was tryingto fish the break. Appearantly he forgot that maybe someone else might also be on the lake too. He got all hacked off and left after awhile. I expect it on opening but not anymore. He must have been really deperate for fish.
We tried leeches but to no avail. We didn't have time to stick around for the evening bite. A guy at the dock told me they did reall well Friday night. They even found asome small enough to keep.

Last thing. WARNING! I talked to Bill Lundeen at Lundeen's bait an tackle Sat.
morning. He told me of a women that was fishing and caught 2 fish just short of 18 ".
3 Co's showed up and wanted to measure them. They did it 3 times and on the third try they leaned on the fish to squish it out longer. When it apeared to have touched the 18" line they ticketed her for both fish.
Isn't this great, our own DNR is trying to tag people by stretching your fish. Beware of these bone heads if you on the lake. I was told you could keep them if they were between 16 -18". I guess what they really mean is 16 63/64. I didnt' see it printed that way on the new regs.
I have to get down from the soap box now. It's time once again to go fishing.
See ya bye!
Terry
Terry's Guide Service

------------------

Terry--- talked to a lot of people this weekend, everyone did well out of 200 total fish caught only 12 fit the slot and 1 was a picture and tossed back, they were scared to bring in the keepers because they only had a tape measure, not the dnr board of perfection; maybe dnr should hand out measuring boards to everyone going on the lake with a # on it and they cant measure wrong because it would be equipped with a green light for keepers and a red light for toss back. just return the board when leaving. I know the feeling I HAVE A RULER ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT A YARD STICK ON THE FLOOR AND TWO PEOPLE CAN GET FOUR DIFFERENT READINGS. I do realize dnr has a job to do but there are a few that make you feel like guilty, stupid,igorent, (Not all but some) I always treat them with respect, sometimes I would like that back!!! to bad you cant report them to someone but the repercussions arent worth it-(there a tight family) Im proably IN DEEP **** for saying that much but I will continue to fish as the law allows. the flats are doing well.

Thanks for the report, Terry. I've been out of the loop lately and it's nice to hear how people have recently been doing.

Even though the chances of actually keeping a meal are slim, I think I'll head up this weekend for some fun catching. Hope the bite continues!

Good luck.........

Are you supposed to pinch the tail or not? Where are the official regs. on how to measure our fish. I too had a couple this weekend we couldn't agree on, so out of fear of the Gustopo, opps I mean the DNR I let them go...

------------------

While fishing Lac sueal last year we got checked by the creel survey people( very nice kids) and I asked them to show me how the PP'S check the fish. They pinch the tail and push on the mid section to flatten out the fish. They said the PP'S do this to be sure the fish is not arched up, but they also use it as a method to pinch people for to close to the slot. Their recamendation was to stay 1/4 inch away from the slot.Oh, PP stands for Provincial Police, in case some one did not know.
Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 06-25-2001).]

So, the fish the people had measured at Lundeens were measured correctly by the DNR; by slightly pushing down on the midsection?

Saturday's wind was tough. Didn't need to measure any of our fish, but we did. Boated 9 eyes in 3 1/2 mid-day hours out on the gravel. Smallest fish was 22" and the largest was just under 29".

Long leaders, small spinners and very healthy "black" leaches. Don't waste your time with the brown ribbon leaches. Your can drown those all day without a nibble.

Dave, yes if they (DNR)checked the fish as stated above, I believe this is the way to check the fish.
Benny

Then maybe the story was exaggerated and people are upset at the DNR for nothing?

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 06-28-2001).]