• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hooks

bmg

I concur w/ dr.proctor, well spoken ... if the fish is taken care of quickly in the boat, it should have no problem swimming away. it's the other people that make sure they get their hook back, take several pictures & end up dropping it 5 times in the process.

I agree 100% cut the, then call me I'll buy you a new hook if its that important to you.
The only promblem I have is where did the story start about the stomach acid disolving the hook? Are there facts to back it up or is another wives tale?
Wazz..

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-26-2001).]

When cutting the line, leave enough line so when the hook finally lets go, the mono freely leaves the mouth of the fish. I was told that if you cut the line inside of the fish's mouth it will have a hard time expelling the line.

------------------
Castaways Charters
Mille Lacs Lake Guides
CastawaysCharters.com
Phone: (320) 684-2886

I've caught 4 this year with others hooks in them. One, the hook was expelled from the stomach when the 'eye tried to upchuck my hook. It had a day old leech on it, barely digested. Another was in the roof of the mouth and the 'eye had developed a sore like we get when we have a splinter. I touched the hook with my hemistat and it fell out. That hook had rust on it already. A 3rd fish had no hook in sight, just mono sticking out the gill. It was long enough that it had been cut outside the mouth, but I'm guessing it was about 4 lb test and very limp so it washed out the gill. 4th had shank of hook visible in throat and left it there as I let that one go too. Cutting the line works, the fish live to bite again, and as with the upchucked leech, it doesn't necessarily take very long, even if in the stomach! Hot grease and cold beers to all!! - Gadget

[This message has been edited by Insp Gadget (edited 06-25-2001).]

I would have to say the only thing that bothers me more than taking 28-31 inch fish is how people are so hell bent on getting their hooks back. I fish with a guy and it doesn't matter where that hook is, he is goin to get it. I read back in one of the other topics how he couldn't release a big fish because it was bleeding in the gills. CUT THE LINE. A fishes stomic acid will disolve a hook. It is not worth a 10 cent hook to kill a fish. If it needs plyers, Cut the line so you can catch when it is as trophy. Tell me what you think about this.

You know trying at all costs to get a hook out is at the top of my list of things that irritate me too! I fish with my wife a lot and am always telling her to just cut the line. It is a good thing to know to leave some line hanging out too it makes sense. I too have read some where (don't remember where) but do remember seeing it in print that hook do dissolve. Just one more thing I saw two guys last Sat. catch a fish probably 25 plus inches and probably kept it out of the water taking pictures of it for a good 3-5 minutes then it took them another 2 minutes to revive it to get it to swim away. MUCH too long out of the water. Thanks to all this forum has a lot of good information.

------------------
Hot rod

I've been using very small number 8 hooks this year with a lot of success. The Leaches can swim like crazy because the hook is so light.

When I have a deep hook set I've been using a small wire cutters and simply cut the hook as close to the point of entry as I can. I'm not sure this is a good thing to do. but, I figured less hook is better than more hook.

Our boat has caght two fish this year with our leader and leach and hook not five minutes breaking it off. I figure the hooks don't slow them down much.

I started using circle hooks for eyes on spinner and slip sinker rigs late last year and so far, like the results. Still want to experiment more with them - using them with a slip bobber, for other species, etc. Seems like the number of eyes landed vs. bites has increased and I can't remember hooking any fish deep.

I'd be interesed to hear what techniques others have tried with circle hooks, and the results.

[This message has been edited by uffdapete (edited 06-27-2001).]