• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boat Registration and # question

NotoriousBLM

I bought my first (used) boat last year, and have been fishing it since then. This evening while getting ready for Saturday fishing, I noticed that the boat # that is painted on the hull does not match the # on the sticker( it is an '03 sticker). Is my rig legal?

Thanks, NotBLM

The hull identification number (HIN) is supposed to be your registration number. It also verifies year of manufacture -- last two digits being the year (e.g. 98 would be manufacture in 1998).

If your HIN does not match the registration, you had better check on it immediately.

Forgot to mention -- HIN is not painted on, but rather stamped on a plate on the transom, usually upper right hand corner as you stand behind the boat.

I think BLM is asking about the numbers on the DNR license sticker and the decal numbers you have on each side of the boat. They should match. Legal not too? I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for the replies. I was refering to the number painted on the hull and the DNR sticker. I'll check with the DNR just to be sure.

Tight Lines...

I am about 99% sure those numbers are to match. Be sure to let us know what the DNR says.

------------------
Just Having Fun!
Love to Fish.

I checked the DNR's boat reg's and your registration card #, sticker #, and the # in front of the DNR sticker all have to match. It looks like I'll be doing some painting! Page 6 sums it up. (Hope this isn't an illegal link.)
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide02.pdf

Follow up question- What type of paint should I use to cover up the old # and paint the correct # onto the hull? It is an old white fiberglass boat.

Thanks,
NotBLM

Maybe you could find some stickon letters that would go over the painted ones. It sure would be a lot easier and cover them up. Just make sure you read the regulations about size and color.

------------------
Phyl

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Yes the numbers have to match. Unless it's a show boat just by new sticker's and go over the old one's like phil said. If you skip a year in your registration the DNR issue's you new number's.

Printing companies make nice license number strips I've always used. They are one long adhesive strip and can be made the size and color you need. Looks much nicer than individual letters/numbers or paint.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the best way to get old numbers off? I bought a boat this year that needed the new sticker and I noticed that the numbers are now different. The boat was custom painted and I'd hate to wreck that. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If there stickers heat them up with a hair dryer and peal them off. You can use mineral spirts to clean off left over adhesive. This wont hurt the paint.

If your boat numbers starts with MN and ends with DD (eg. MN 1234 DD) that's a dealer #, it's used to show/demonstrate boats before sale. You will need same letters/numbers as your DNR registration sticker.
Anything with DD at the end has to be used from a registered dealer.

Val