• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How'd everyone due last night??

Insp Gadget

All - Not brave enough to go out at midnight anymore, other than cold last night might have been ok, (not too much wind, but was ther enough??) We'll be down this afternoon, probably to the east side somewhere. like to hear how everyone did! Thanks, and good luck! - Gadget

Just got off a 4 hour guide trip. We kept 10 and released alot over 20. Smallest fish caught was a little over 16 and most were a little over 19. The bite was on and off with the best fishing in 15 feet. I stayed with leeches but talked to a few that did well with crawlers. Water is a little colder then I was hoping. Give the sand one week and it will be a hot bite. The trip was a morning trip and now we regroup and get ready for the evening bite. Good luck!

------------------
castawayscharters.com

We were in the water less than an hour!! Engine conked out in the harbor. ( frown.gif) started and purred like a kitten, then while stowing the last of the gear, quit just like you had turned the key off. Put different plugs in, checked fuses and nothing. Done for this week. If the boat is fixed, we'll be back next weekend, if not, we'll bring a different boat!! The couple of people I talked to said the same, worked hard, caught some fish, wish the water was warmer. maybe we were supposed to be home for Mother's day after all!! - Gadget

Muskieman,
what presentations were you using with leeches? What part of the lake? Anyone been getting some on cranks? Spinners?

Went sand blastin only caught two both over 20in. Then went to a small lake called Smith to kill some time on the west side and caught about 20 crappies nothing to brag about size wise. Then went out of Wig Wam bay fished in 14ft caught two -17in and threw back a 11in and 14in then went to the north end of the bay in 10 ft of water at 8:30pm fish for an hour caught one 16in and then bagged the PIG 30in eye. Sorry folks I kept this one from seeing any nets. Also happy to say I did not run into one Rude person this weekend what a great way to start the season!!!

Andy J; We just got off the water and continued to do very well. We had Eric from Outdoor News onboard and got some nice photos of a 27 incher. We could only keep 9 fish the rest were too big, the fish we kept are around 19 inches. The white glow Gamagatzu #6 with a chartruese bead seemed to perform the best. I am staying with leeches till the water warms. We are fishing the sand in front of Fishers and Castaways. This bite usually lasts till at least Memorial Day week-end. 15 feet still is the magic depth. Good luck!

------------------
castawayscharters.com

Had to fish the pond soooo baaad we brought the pontoon down. fish the sand off of Big Point and caught 9 between 1:00pm and 7:00pm, water like glass. ALL 9 on Crawlers! Then the wind puffed up and we went to the rocks, 15 more, 9 on crawlers, 6 on leeches!! had 6 keepers for the day and one 26 incher. Loads of fun, See ya next weekend!! - Gadget

We fished the sand both days and did very well in my opinion(first time on lake). We had 6 fish under the slot, 2 over on Sat. I caught one that was 26". Best fish to date. Sunday pulled into the sand and bam, 24" and 23". Missed a few bites, had one come off at the side of the boat. We ended up with 5 slot fish total. All in all the big pond was perfect this weekend. Thanks muskieman for the tips, they really helped!!!

We had a great opener this past weekend!!!!. We fished up by Emily for the opener where our cabin is, tons of boats on the lake we fished on. Water was fairly warm compared to other lakes the way it seemed. Sat morning, we caught 18 walleyes. We came back in and had a great meal. Then went out again that night. We caught a total for the weekend 42 walleyes. Great fishing. Also caught over 60 Notherns between the six of us. the biggest was 10 lbs. Our biggest walleye was 3.9 lbs, 22 inches. Threw that back though. The average size of the walleyes were between 15-20 inches. great fishing.

Boats have dwindled from hundreds to only 24 boats tonight across the sand in front of my house and the bite continues to be excellent. Where did everyone go? How lucky can I be to live here on beautiful Mille Lacs and watch the sunset every evening, not to mention that I do not see a stoplight for 6 months. Reports from Isle today indicate a very good bite all around the lake. The new slot has increased the take as alot of the fish are 19 inches (throwbacks last year). I talked to one avid fisherman who caught 33 walleyes in the sand and was generous enough to give me details. I will check it out as I haven't fished there yet!

------------------
castawayscharters.com

I chatted with Bruce Hall who is our local conservation officer. He reported a very good bite and said the McQuoids guides did extremely well. I asked him what violations he is seeing the most. He said some fishermen are keeping fish out of the slot. I asked him what the fine is for a 21 incher. He said $80 and add $30 if the fish is not able to swim away. He is training in a new recruit named Troy who seemed very friendly and very eager to measure fish. Also, I noticed alot of boats did not turn their lights on when the sun set. Don't wait till its dark as many get a ticket or warning from the DNR when its still light enough to see.

------------------
castawayscharters.com

Thanks for all the info and update Muskieman. You are lucky to be able to live where you do, and do what you do. I'm sure there is/was a price to pay, but I got to believe it 's worth it. We have a cabin up on Waukenabo, and every weekend as we watch the sun set, we wonder how to make the switch between city life, and the north woods life. Oh well, some day we'll figure it out, 'til then, we just be plain lucky to have a place up there, and visit the pond a few times each year. One of those times, we'll look you up and say thanks in person. Check out that new spot, and let us know if it was as good as advertised! - Gadget