• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What has your dog taught you?

Swamp Scooter

There nose is better than my line of sight. Even if I saw the bird go down a ways out and they take the direction and then move off "my track" they find the bird and I find myself neck deep in the mud! (Hunting not training)

Also that some ice is too thin to go on. Had one pull me back once. Really miss that dog. Same dog also kept me from getting bit by a rattle snake in the coulleys once. Funny looking point then would not let me by. Even growled at the area.

First off I've learned that a dog can quickly change itself from a "hunting dog" to a "family pet". I have hunted with many a guy that said "I feed this thing 365 days a year and the stupid thing won't find a duck". She gets to sleep in the basement and hang out with us all the time. She is a member of the family.

I've learned a couple of things from "Dale." First and most important is unconditional loyalty. When they say dog is mans best friend they were/are speaking of Dale. No matter what, the ole lab is happy to be around. Second thing Dale has taught me is to learn Dale's language and not expect Dale to learn mine. Knowing this has made training with my Germain Shorthair at least a million times easier and more rewarding.

Don't have a hunting dog...had a BlueTick that we used to run coon with, that dog taught me that dogs can be jealous...when our daughter was born, Pawsy did'nt like her getting the attention and we had to get rid of him.

Our present dog Spike, a cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle has taught me a few things...Cockers, even when they are watered down with Poodle blood, will still bite!

I learned that the mix did'nt seem to tone down his agressive nature either...he would just about tear down the privacy fence to get at our neighbors German Shepard! He did'nt realize, or care, that he was out weighed by about 60 pounds! There is a lesson there to!

Our dog Spike has taught me that there is a positive to being strong willed and Tenacious. He's old, but he does'nt give up, he had aspinal injury that crippled him for a time, but he worked his way through it. He is mostly deaf, but he has found a way to utilize what hearing he has left. He is going blind yet he works his way through that also and he always wags his tail!

Thought this would be an interesting topic, I know that I have learned a lot from my dogs over the years. Some of it has to do with hunting and some just to do with life in general. If I had to narrow it down to one thing, I guess it would be the way that my dogs go 100% for the people that they trust. More than once I have sent my dog into a situation and they gave me a look like "Are you SURE about this?", but every time they did it without hesitation, just to please me. If everyone put as much effort into their daily life without any expectation of reward vor compensation, I think everyones life would be much fuller and happier. Looking forward to your responses. Maybe I can learn something from your dog too.

My dog has taught me to get up REAL early at the same time everyday! You see, I would feed the critter before I went to work at about 7am. Well, he would be hungry before that and would do about anything to get my tired butt out of bed to give him his chow. This includes lots of licking, rolling over the top of me, and worst of all putting his smelly azz in my face! I am usually up between 5:15 and 5:30am everyday. I guess I no longer need the alarm clock huh? I have learned from my dog that my biological clock is no longer needed!

My 1.5 yr old Yellow has taught me how NOT to train my next dog. She a great hunter and true sweetheart of a dog, but there are few things I messed up on in the early stages. Next time: No dog on my lap, no dog on the bed, it's not playtime everytime I sit on the couch. Pawing at the door to go outside (it was nice when she was young, but now it's a dual purpose, either it's outside time, or just attention getting-not to mention a few screen repairs), don't get the dog overly excited to go in the boat and fish (she is extremely hyper in the boat and often jumps out to "retrieve" my lure...not fun) Those are the main issues. All in all she's a great addition to the family and I know in another 1.5-2 yrs she'll settle down a bit. Her unconditional love to the wife and I is immense and we wouldn't trade her for the world.

Maybe I'll just chalk it up as "personality"

How to read animals, people, etc.... Because my older dog is kind of a rangy dog I had to watch her constantly to make sure she wouldn't get into trouble. I learned alot from a dogs actions what to expect next. I now watch lots of critters much more attentively then I used to and I've learned from that too.

My dogs have taught me to check my boots before coming in the house! Hmmm, something smells like dogs**t in here!!!!

They have also taught me that the greatest hunting experiences usually have a wagging tail and lolling tongue!

lt

Desa (BL) taught me the importance of slowing down and looking around. Brandy that you can get through anything if you try enough times. Thea (chol. l) that you must pay attention to the people in your life otherwise garbage everywhere or better yet I know where the bird is and I am going to sit on it. some of hte other lessons where harder to sollow such as never letting a loved one die alone -- never agian will I not stay. Mostly my dogs have brought an understanding of what it means to have something depend on me for their well being and the rewards of doing my job right so they are happy.

That love can be (and should always be) unconditional!

That though we demand perfection from our dogs, we never seem to expect the same of ourselves!

That they never totally "grow up"!

Sometimes the only way to reason with your dog is a swat on the rear end.

Sometimes praise is better given by letting them give ya' a lick on your face, than you giving a pat on their head.

That no matter what the circumstances, good or bad, happy or mad, glad or sad, their world still revolves around you!

That when out hunting, the knowledge you possess about your quarry is a fraction of the knowledge God gave them!

That a wet Lab sleeping next to you at noon, in the bottom of a duck boat, is a far sweeter smell than just about anything else I can think of!

And last but not least... no matter how well mannered and how well finished they are in training, given the opportunity to embarass you, they'll take it everytime!!!!!

Good Luck! Ken

Hunting is as much watching the dog work then bagging birds.

Hunting without your own dog, isnt as much fun.

After 1/2 chase, do not miss the rooster.

12 years is too short

My Dog has taught me:
Unsupervised dog + toilet paper = mess
Unsupervised dog + boredom outside = digging
Digging must be hereditary.
Unsupervised dog + flowers = green plants (no flowers)
Unsupervised dog + item smaller than quarter = poop covered item smaller than quarter

Oh yeah, did I mention that she's only 4 months?

smile.gif

Evenflow

When hunting thick grass and the dog starts to slow down then he follows you..He has taught me that following someone elses trail is the way to go...now that i'm older outa shape i can say darn my dog was not so dumb after all..

I have found two articals devoted to Dog's over the years that will touch the coldest of hearts! Here it is "A Dog's Prayer" (I need to find the other article)

"A Dog's Prayer"

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness then the loving heart of mine.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.
When it is cold and wet please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though you had no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow then rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
Feed me clean food, that I may stay well to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.
And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

(sorry for the lenght)

Dang, BBL!! I read that post about the dogs prayer and I could hardly swallow my coffee.

Our dog is getting really old and it is'nt going to be very long before we will have to take that final ride to the vet.

It goes by to quick and although they may **** on your boots once in awhile, a dogs affection for his people, is hard to explain and vice versa.

I have read that dogs prayer many times and still tear up. I actually have it framed in my office, thanks for the post.

He may be almost blind and can't hear much, but he can still bite! (Dang cockers!).

I'm watching the Twins yesterday and pat him a couple of times and scratch his ears and he bites my finger! Before I can move, he nailed me in the arm a good one...I'm thinking, "What the h**ls his problem?"

He must have thought I had a treat for him? The old boy still has alot of fire in his butt at 15 years old! (Never had him nuetered).

He taught me to "Never put your extremities close to a mostly blind dog, if he thinks you have a treat!"