• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Water dog

wormfood

I was going to be heading to the in-laws cabin this weekend for a little R&R with the pup for her first try at swimming. The only problem is that the pup (9 weeks old) next door to their cabin picked up an intestinal bateria from somewhere and I was curious if lake water is known to carry such stuff. I am sure it can but how resilient is a pup's immune system. My pup is 14 weeks old and has been healthy as can be. Any suggestions or cautions?

I want to get her in the water ASAP but not if it's going to get her sick.

Thanks much.

My lab was in the lake the first time at about the same age as your pup, with no ill affects.

With that being said my lab also picked up a bacteria when she was about one. After taking her to the vet the vet did asked me if she had spent time in a lake over the weekend. Which she had at the in-laws. We could not rule out getting the bacteria from the lake but the same weekend my dog picked a chicken bone off the top of the in-laws garbage (this is where I think the bacteria came from).

Sunday evening after getting home from the in-laws she also got in to her food and over ate the same weekend. Between the bacteria and the over eating by the time I got home from work on Monday, lets just say the kitchen was a mess!

I would not worry so much about the lake but I would make sure the in-laws house is puppy proof.

My pup got a bladder infection?? (urinated often) 2 times at ages 2 1/2 months and 4 months. Both times she had been around water just prior. The vet told me that their imune systems are not developed enough to deal with the lake water at this age??? That is what I was told and thought I would pass it on??

Our lab pup is not quite four months old and maybe I should knock on wood but she has been in the lake most every day without any problems.
We live on a lake. That is since about Memorial Day or so when it warmed up a little.
She has also been finding plenty of goose and deer droppings to snack on and any other thing she can get in her mouth. Maybe that helps!!

Sounds like maybe I got lucky with my lab not picking up a bacteria at such a young age. She sure spent a lot of time in the lakes when she was that age.

I will have to keep this in mind on the next pup in a couple of years.

Thanks for the replies. Got her out a couple times and she loved it.

So far no side effects so I'll just accept it and hope she doesn't get anything in the future.

The only water to be really concerned about is the slow or stagnant stuff AND the beaver ponds. Giardia is big time in there from the snail activity. Also be careful of the Lyme ticks. Young dogs are not ready for the vaccination until 6 months old but I think you can put the topical tick stuff on them earlier to help protect them. Lyme's is a terrible thing for the young dog and owner to experience.

Swamp Scooter what do you mean by not being ready for the vaccination until 6 months? The
reason I ask is that my vet gave our lab her
1st Lyme vac at 2 months 6 days and the 2nd
at 3 months 12 days. She is also on Frontline
Plus and Heartguard. Is this not normal?

I have read, and forgot where, that the Lyme's should not be done until after 6 months old. I think it has something to do with the maturing immune system. I have not had a young dog for a couple of seasons so it has not been as issue. Glad it worked for you and maybe the vaccination has changed enough where it is OK. I will look in to it more and check it out. My young dog got Lyme's the first day in the field at about 5 months old. It took some time to get rid of but she recovered fully. That is why I caution and use the topical.

Thanks for your update.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.