• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Barnes bullets

benelli_dude2002

has anybody shot this bullet yet? The barnes triple shock. Looks like a good round and I been thinking of getting some loaded for my 300 WSM. Got lotsa empty brass so I'm open to any recommendations on what is a good bullet. I am having a friend reload for me and I dont really know what to get when it comes to looking at bullets. i have just buying whatever was the cheapest and it does the job for me. I do however hunt whitetail and moose just in case you was wondering. Thanks in advance Brian

beneli-dude, Sorry I don't have any experience with barnes bullets. For rifles I stick to noslers. It's been about 15 years since I loaded any big game rounds, but I shoot a fair amount of .22 cal. rounds.(.223/.22-250) and have found most bullet makers have a bullet that will make a consistant and accurate load. The key is to pick a few different weights, styles and makers and see how they shoot though your rifle.
I don't know how serious you and your friend are into reloading. For example, I spend hours just on case preperation. Each component you use in making a round makes a difference. Just using a different brand of primers or even a dfferent lot from the same company can change how your round works.
I tend to get pretty serious about the rounds I fire though my varmint riles.

Scotty

i'm sorry i forgot to mention that i do have a varmint rifle also. Its a 22-250 and my friend did load me up a couple boxes with Hornady 50gr SP. By the way it sounds he is very tidious when it comes to reloading. He doesnt have a varmint rifle himself, not yet anyways but he does have a few different big game calibers himself. I just buy the dies and the bullets and he will reload for me exchange for a guided fishing trip or a duck hunt in Canada in lake of the woods. We do however live close to lake of the woods. I didnt shoot the handloads yet but once the weather starts warming up, I live like 5 miles from a shootng range so I will be spending some time punching holes in paper there. For years i stayed away from handloads becuase of some past experiences with them such as the case getting stuck in the chamber when i was on a moose hunt but luckily i didnt see one and one other time on a deer hunt when a nice big doe ran by me and I missed and the same thing happened. I even got dozen of 270 casing waiting to be filled which by the way my friend has dies for. He does like Nosler bullets too by the way and I am not too fussy as long as i get good groups with what i shoot. I did try ballistic tips out of my 270 and they shot good but I didnt like what they did to the animals. One example I remember one calf moose i shot, i could almost stick my fist in the exit wound and I thought they did too much tearing up but they did do the job as far as putting down the animal. So needless to say I never used ballistic tip bullets again. Like I mentioned before, I shot Winchester SUper X 180 gr sp for my 300 WSM and i picked them up for 16 $ a box and thats all I shot through it but last fall I did buy a box of federal 180 Nosler partition and shot a nice bull moose up in canada. I shot it twice but I dint know it was dead one the first shot so i shot til if fell because there was just me dad and I. It was on a island on lake of the woods and we were about 20 yards from the boat and the moose fell about 60 yards from the boat so it still 2 hours to get him qaurtered up and loaded. So if anyone out there who has shot a moose they know what i'm talking about when the moose is down thats when the work begins. Anyways I been at this for a while and I am glad to see a forum like this. I'm sure I will have more questions in the future so dont be surprised. Thanks! Brian