• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Parking Tickets on Hubb's Pt

unclejake

I assume you're talking about that point where the road runs out in the dead of winter? Where you turn off of 95 by that restaurant...I think it's clydes...go across the railroad tracks and it curves around and out onto the river?
I've always thought it was okay to drive out from there. I know there's no parking signs on the land part...but if you were parked on the ice...that doesn't seem right they give you a ticket. How much was it? And do you know if people will be able to drive out of there at all anymore, even when it's safe enough to drive across the river?
Sorry to hear about that news.

Yep, that's the spot. Only $23...but I'll have to drive 60-miles on a workday just to contest the ticket.

Gill,

I would say you have a case to fight that ticket.

Say how did you see big walleyes? Underwater camera?

Turk

Anyone else gotten a ticket for parking on/near Hubb’s point in south Bayport? My buddy and I both received one last Sunday and we were parked on the ICE! People have been using this “access” for years either to drive across the river or to get to their hotspots. This is not the first time I have encountered the police for parking near the point and was wondering if anyone had more info on the regulations/laws concerning Hubb’s point. I know, I know…I can just walk out from the park, but it’s the principle of the whole thing that has riled me. I drive down a public right of way (3rd St) and it leads right to the river. There are all kinds of private property and keep out signs, but it seems to me they can’t post private prop signs on a public roadway. If they really could keep people out, why not put up a gate. Maybe I’m totally off base, but I just had to vent. BTW, we did catch a few small walleyes (and saw plenty large fish) on small glow-spoons and Nils Masters in 19 to 24’ from 6 to 9AM.

Hi Gill
I found this http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/pwpermits/waterlaws.html It may help you to contest your ticket. I would like to hear the outcome of this. Here is a some of what is said.
Minnesota case law has established that a public road abutting a body of water gives the public riparian rights to the water. Riparian rights exist whether or not the lake is navigable or public and regardless of who owns the bed. Riparians are entitled to exercise their rights over the entire surface of the lake. One riparian cannot keep others from using all of the lake. Where access to a "wetland" is available from a public road, Minnesota Statutes Section 103G.235 provides the following: "In order to protect the public health or safety, local units of government may establish by ordinance restrictions upon public access to any wetlands from city, county or township roads which abut wetlands." In all other cases (i.e., state or federal roads abutting "wetlands" or any public road abutting a "public water"), the public has the riparian right of access.

Basshunter,
Parking on private prop was the reason...

Turk,
Saw larger “fish” on the Vexilars (I cannot say they were walleyes). Often these giant blips turn out to be 4-5lb channel cats or even sturgeon when we catch them. But when they’re swimming around with the walleyes during primetime I’d like to believe a few of these giants are walleyes as well wink.gif

Maybe I am off base here but if you were parked on private property, why did the officer not issue you a citaion for tresspassing, seems kinda odd doesnt it????