• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye gameplan.

Sinker

Turk,as the winter rolls along here,what would you tweak in your walleye strategy from the early ice period? I mainly mean in regards to location.I've fished the breaks in 20'-28' and did pretty good but it seems slower now.It's to be expected with the traffic,fishing pressure and so forth.I was just wondering if you might try a little deeper or something?Anyway,just looking for any thoughts.Good Luck Fishing!!!

Sinker,

Hello my best success for walleye on the St. Croix has been from 22 to 18 feet on the breaklines of large structure. I like the north (upper) side of the structure (upper as related to when the current is north flowing to south . Not on the tip of the tip but closer say 50' toward the shore. Now in regards to tweaking the attack, due to mid winter, I wouldn't until two outings go by and you are unhappy with the results. Then I would target 10-13 feet of water on the same structure.
The twilight hours are a must and after dark can be mandatory. Go luck! and nail a big one!
Keep catchin'
Turk
Croixsippi Guide Service
www.croixsippi.com

do either of you gentlemen know whether or not people are driving cars/trucks out on the river.... going from the MN side to WI side near bayport? i'm looking to move my house tonight. thanks!

Turk, thanks,that sounds good.I guess I was thinking deeper as the winter went on.I thought possibly the water was too cold for both the baitfish and walleyes in the shallower stuff.The north side issue also is interesting.I trust what you say.My question is,why the north side?What I'm saying is wouldn't the current be less on the south side or is there an effect on the north side made by the current that would hold baitfish?These might seem like basic questions but I take any advice I can get.I've caught more walleyes this year by using your tips.Low and no light,definitetly!Caught some as late as 8:00 pm down there.Thanks for the info.Oh,one more :Do you ever fish breaks that run parallel with the current or just target ones that run perpendicular to it? Good Luck Fishing!!!

[This message has been edited by Sinker (edited 01-22-2003).]

Hey Sinker,

The aggressive fish usually swim at the front of a structure so they can be the first to intercept food.

There might be more walleyes on the backside of a hump or bar, but they may be inactive or neutral fish. A lot harder to get to bite. The fish that are going to smoke your bait are almost always out in front in feeding mode. Or like Turk said in the saddle of the structure and shore.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

Sucka, that makes sense.Thanks.Do you fish walleyes down at the river much?If so,where do you normally go?(specific hotspots not included,I know.-ha,ha)I think it's a great place to fish,for anything.Never know what you might get.Can always manage a few sauger at least,if you move a little bit.I'm just trying to get a better grasp on the walleyes this year.I'm catching more than I have in the past.A big one would really take the cake.It's kind of like this past fall when I was hunting turkey.I took a week off just to hunt them and they were frustrating me so much that it turned into a chess game.Planning strategy the night before.Finally got one on the Sunday of that week.Not giving up on these walleyes in the river yet.Good Luck Fishing!!!Thanks for posting.

Am going down to Bayport area right now.
Will post about it. Probably try over behind the marina by the breaker wall.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\