• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Jim W

Ice fishing Lake Byllesby

Jim W

Curious if anyone has knowledge of or has ice fished lake Byllesby in/near Cannon Falls?

Few years back I did a little "lazy man's" fishing from shore and wound up catching quite the array of species! From Carp to walleye!

I plan on trying it out at least once this winter!

Jim W

alkfish

The lake has some nice walleyes in it as well as crappies. Like many other of the lakes on the cannon chain, it can be a feast or famine situation. Overall quality of fish is nice. Very good early ice option before all the motorized traffic starts up.

~~~~~alkfish

Jim W

alkfish,
WHen you are icin', are you adhereing to the old river channel? Is there a location you could share that you have had success at? You can always e-mail the info. Or you could share whatr you know here as well!

Jim W

Jim W

alkfish or anyone,

Still interested in a little more info on Billesby. WHich access to use, typical depths targeted etc etc. I do a lot of icefishing and since Lake Byllesby is a little closer than most places for me, I'd give it a whirl.
As you know, going in completely blind ice fihsing has it's set-backs!

SO any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Heck, I'd be willing to hook up with someone who has fished Byllesby, by bait and maybe even lunch(if we catch fish!LOL)

Thanks again!!!

Jim W

MnSportsman

Jim,
I'll send ya an email with some info(re: ice fishing) about Lake Byllesby, if you'd like.I only live about 2 miles away, & fish it mostly during the winter.The water has been drawn down since October, in preparation for spring flooding potential, so the same info for the rest of the years fishing, doesn't always apply.(structure/depths/etc.) Let me know.

MnSportsman

Jim,
I'll get a map of the lake & mark (hilite) areas on it that are productive most of the time.Along with some other details, & send to your address. I'll try & do this before the weekend.
& Yes!, let's hookup sometime & go!
wink.gif
[i haven't been online much, due to work commitments, therefore the absence.]

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
;)

MnSportsman

Jim W.,
I have not forgotten the info, but I'm having trouble using my computer to hilite areas on the map. I'm going to try & get a friend who's better at it to try for me. Please be patient.
Thnks!

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 12-10-2001).]

Jim W

MNsportsman,

No ice, no hurry! I just appreciate the fact your going out of your way!!

Jim W

MnSportsman

The ice has closed over the whole of the lake/reservior,except the West/River end, but it is still very "scary".
There are a few that have been out, but I haven't fished there as of now. So, no real accurate report. But I am concerned about ice-thickness variations, current flow & the many springs can be troublesome; I've had troubles on this lake before,as have others.If ya do go out here, take a buddy, and go slow. Maybe towards Friday/Sat.., I might start trying a few spots I know.
Jim W., In regard to those spots,I hope to have the highlited map to you then too.
See ya out there!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 01-02-2002).]

wallhanger

Hey MNSPORTSMAN I also would be interised in f

All: I went to Byllesby on Saturday(5th) and there were probably a dozen shacks out there, snowmobile and ATV tracks all over, and even, believe it or not, some vehicle tracks. Talked to a guy who was there two days before that and he said he drove on it. We caught a few walleyes that weren't too bad. If anyone is interested in going sometime and need a partner, I'd be interested. I live in Red Wing, e-mail is mhwardus@yahoo.com. Good luck to anyone that goes, although I don't think I'd try it this week due to the warm weather.

Jim W

Well, maybe late January or the early part of Febuary we should get a group from fishingminnesota.com for a day of Lake Byllesby fishing? What do ya say??????

Jim W

I second the motion. Just heard guys are doing good off the north launch(just west of the beach area). I'm game anytime someone's looking for company. mhwardus@yahoo.com

MnSportsman

Jim W.,
Check your email..
I believe I finally got the map change to work.
Let me know if possible...
BTW,
check the post below.

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 01-11-2002).]

MnSportsman

Jim W.,
I tried posting back when the site was having problems, but had no luck. I was trying to warn about thin ice. A fella I know went thru while walking on the ice by the South(Goodhue Cnty park)side during last week(First wek in Jan.).
I went out with a buddy on the same saturday(5th) as mwchiefs
, in the evening, by the Dakota Cty landing to see if we could get some action , but had no luck. We walked on & were fishing in 8-12'water, & the ice was 6-7" thick there(at the landing. While we were there, a couple of people in a full size P/Up w/topper, drove ACROSS the CHANNEL!! Ice was cracking all the way & we were amazed that they made it! When we left there was a 3"crack we had to cross that wasn't there when we came on. I know fellas that have been fishing out there for 30 years & they aren't driving across that channel! Please be careful out there!!! Especially after this warm weather! I have had 3 close calls on this lake in the last 4 years & I probably won't drive on it again for some time.

I am interested in see some of you here, but
definately when there is more ice & less water. There are shacks as in past years, by the "Douglas Beach area"on the N.(Dakota county side). & they have some across the lake by the Boy scout camp(accessed from the boat landing on the South(Goodhue county side)[we call it the "Boy Scout landing]. There may be a few by "the pines", but I'm sure they are only using sleds/ATVs, or walking across private land.
I would not recommend anyone to attempt to access the "main" lake from the Goodhue county Park landing. as this is where the fella went thru while walking. You would need to parallel the main channel up river then cross by the cliffs, in an area that drops to about 25-30 feet. Not to be suggested this year for sure!!
Just a suggestion on safety.. of course.Not preaching, Hope everyone uses good judgment on this.

Good Fishing to you all!
wink.gif
Please stay safe!
smile.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
wink.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• chucker1101
      These aren't campsites to bring your Ranger fiberglass or decked-out Lund into. They're better fitted for smaller 14-16 ft alum boats, something you can drag on shore. Though i'm sure you can figure out how to secure something bigger. Cliff is right, most have sandy/pebble shorelines to pull a smaller boat onto. Almost all of them are well-protected from the prevailing WSW wind. You're gonna get wakes rolling into shore from passing boats, though, as it's a pretty well traveled section of the lake.
    • brrrr
      I camped at a couple sites a few years ago.  no docks, but most of the sites had a half way decent place to put the boat in.  one had a decent log to tie to.  another I threw a couple anchors out back and was able to tie off to a couple trees to keep the boat close yet off the rocks. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I do not think that there are docks at the overnight campsites but some do have sandy shorelines. Most of the shore lunch/picnic  sites do have docks but are not overnight camping sites. Cliff
    • Getanet
      Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I have some research to do. Chucker, do you know if Hinsdale Island has a place to dock a boat ?  I'd hate to have it banging against rocks all night.
    • Rick
      The new northern pike fishing regulations, which were announced recently and go into effect on the May 12 fishing opener, have three distinct zones to address the different characteristics of pike populations in Minnesota, according to the Department of Natural Resources.

Each of the zones – north-central, northeast and south – provide protection for different sizes of pike, and there are reasons for those differences. “We’re continuing to let anglers know there are new pike regulations for those who want to keep pike on inland waters,” said Chris Kavanaugh, DNR northeast region fisheries manager. “We also want to share the thinking behind the new regulations.” North-central zone
      The north-central zone is the largest of the three zones, and here the possession limit is 10 northern pike, but only two can be longer than 26 inches; and all from 22 to 26 inches must be released. “We’re responding to angler concerns about the over-abundance of small, or hammer-handle, pike in the north-central zone,” Kavanaugh said. Through anglers keeping small fish but protecting the 22 to 26 inch pike, the objective in the north-central zone is to both reduce the abundance of small pike and allow medium size pike to grow larger. The advantages of growing larger pike are twofold. While protected these medium size pike will eat small pike, helping reduce abundance of small pike. And when they eventually grow out of the protected size range they will be a more desirable size for keeping. Southern zone
      In the southern zone, where reproduction is limited, the regulation intends to increase pike abundance while also improving the size of fish harvested. Anglers in the southern zone can keep two fish, but the minimum size is 24 inches. “The management issue in the southern zone is the opposite of what’s happening in the north-central zone,” Kavanaugh said. “With low reproduction, stocking is often necessary to provide a pike fishery in the south. Here we want to protect young pike and give them a chance to grow.” Growth rates are much faster in these southern lakes so most will reach the 24 inch keeper size in a few years. Northeastern zone
      In the northeastern zone, pike reproduction is good but these lakes do not have the high density problems of the north-central zone since they still have a nice balance of medium to large pike. Here, it makes sense to provide protection for large pike while they still exist. “The trophy pike of the Arrowhead Region have definitely made some great stories and photos over the decades,” Kavanaugh said. “But these fish grow slowly in the cold water and if too many anglers keep trophy pike here, they’ll be gone.” In the northeastern zone, anglers can keep two pike but must release all from 30 to 40 inches, with only one over 40 inches allowed in possession. Other considerations
      Anglers who want to keep pike will need to be prepared to measure them. Those planning to take advantage of the expanded bag limit on small pike should familiarize themselves with the extra cuts it takes to fillet the fish. New pike regulations do not affect border water fishing regulations or special regulations that cover individual lakes, rivers and streams. Darkhouse spearing regulations for pike differ slightly and those regulations are listed in the spearing section of the regulations booklet. For more information on the new zone regulations visit mndnr.gov/pike or contact a local area fisheries office. Contact information can be found at mndnr.gov/areas/fisheries or in the printed fishing regulations booklet. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The lingering cold weather is delaying ice-out on Minnesota lakes and rivers, which could make it difficult for DNR crews to have the 1,500 public water accesses it manages ready in time for the May 12 fishing opener. “I want Minnesotans to know that we are doing everything we can to get ready for the fishing opener,” said DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr, “but mostly what we need are warmer temperatures and sunshine.” There are approximately 3,000 public water access sites statewide, and the DNR’s Parks and Trails Division manages about half of them. “Winter weather is always a challenge to Minnesota’s public water access sites,” said Nancy Stewart, water recreation program consultant. “Because of the late ice-out this year, DNR crews will have a shorter window than usual to get boat ramps and docks ready for the May 12 fishing opener, but we will have as many of them ready as possible.” Every year, repairs are needed at hundreds of sites, because freezing temperatures and ice cause concrete to crack and buckle on the ramps. In some years, crews can get a head start on that work, even before ice-out, but this year the snow has prevented them from assessing damage, and the ramps can’t be re-leveled until the ground thaws. In the meantime, crews are busy rehabbing docks by, for example, changing bumpers and wheels as needed so that they’ll be ready to pop in when the time comes. “Even if every last dock isn’t in by the opener, there will be places to fish and boat,” said Stewart. Helpful resources on the DNR’s Public Water Access website include: A map showing where ice-out has occurred. Phone numbers for DNR Area Offices for updates. Boaters and anglers can also get their questions answered by calling the DNR Info Center: 888-646-6367 (8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Hunters are reminded that applications for bear hunting licenses are being accepted now through Friday, May 4, wherever Minnesota hunting and fishing license are sold, online at mndnr.gov/buyalicense and by telephone at 888-665-4236. A total of 3,350 licenses are available in 13 permit areas. Bear licenses cost $44 for residents and $230 for nonresidents, and there is a $5 application fee. The season is open from Saturday, Sept. 1, through Sunday, Oct. 14. Notification to lottery winners will be made by Friday, June 1. Lottery winners will receive a postcard in the mail and can check online at mndnr.gov/licenses/lotteries/index.html to see if they were drawn. The deadline to purchase licenses awarded by lottery will be Wednesday, Aug. 1. Any remaining unpurchased licenses will be available over the counter starting at noon on Monday, Aug. 6. An unlimited number of bear licenses will be sold over-the-counter for the no-quota area that includes east-central and far northwestern Minnesota. No-quota licenses are valid only in the no-quota area. Hunters with a no-quota license can harvest one bear. Bear hunting information is available on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/hunting/bear. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • chucker1101
      There are 11 sites on/around Hinsdale Island, managed by the State DNR through one of the local parks (used to be Bear Island, it now might be Soudan Mine Park). Here's a link:  http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destinations/state_parks/lake_vermilion_soudan_underground_mine/Hinsdale_map.pdf I think they're free to use, first come / first serve.  #11 is my favorite. I've heard that the ones on Hinsdale island have occasional visits from bears.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Check the lakevermilion.com site for a list of public campsites on Lake Vermilion. Cliff
    • gunner55
      We'll be making a trip in to GR again. in the next couple days. See what it looks like then.