• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Iron Man

Lake Winona has been HOT!!!

Iron Man

For all of you early risers looking for some excelent bass fishing, my friend and I have been nailing the bass on Lake Winona (in Winona of course). The bad news is that the bite typically has been lasting from about 4:30 AM to 6:00 AM. We've been casting shorelines (primarily on the small lake)with frog colored Skitter Pops and Pop-R's, and we usually catch between 10 & 20 bass with some close to 5 lbs!!! My buddy caught a 22" fish yesterday morning! Many fish in the 2-3 lb. range. So put on a pot of coffee and make the trip if you can. Once you get there the action should keep you awake.

Fish On!

Doug Martin
Winona, MN

uffdapete

Thanks for the report Doug. I only get down to Winona once or twice a year, but I know it is a great lake for largemouth. My biggest is from there as well as best average. A lot of people I know won't fish it because of the weed problem, but if you can deal with that, you're in for some great largemouth fishing. Did you catch any pike of walleyes? I was down in mid May, but only caught a few crappies and largemouth.

Iron Man

You know, as much as I've fished that lake this year I haven't caught a single nortern or walleye. Granted I really haven't fished for walleyes, but you usually stumble on some pike while fishing for bass. The crappie bite has been alright, with some real nice ones being taken (1lb +). Things were pretty slow in early-mid May for all species, but things have really picked up since.
The emergent weeds are all but dead this time of year, which is why skitters and pop-r's have been so effective. You can usually pull a spinner bait over the submerged weeds as well. I've won a couple of bass tournaments on Lake Winona, and I've caught the winning fish on Stanley Platinum Wedge spinners both times. Good luck!

Fish On!

Doug Martin
Winona, MN

Rollie

I don't get on the lake as much as I used to because of new job, so when time permiting I've been fishing off shore and have been hooking into everything I've tried for. A 7 plus lb. bass,15 plus lb. northern,4 plus lb eye, lot of crappies and sunnies but nothing real big but fun, even a 8 plus lb. doggie all on artificial.

Rollie

Forgot to mention, caught and released.