• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Houseboat trip on Kabby/Namakan

We will be headed to Voyageurs from 7/15 to 7/19 on 2 houseboats out of Ebels,on the Ash river. It is a "Boys" trip,5 dads and 12 sons ranging in age from 8 to 18. Our plan is to find a nice bay with a sandy beach to park the houseboats for the week,and head out on fishing trips in 4 additional boats. We are not sure weather to head west to Kabby,or east to Namakan for the best fishing in July.We would like to find some good smallie,crappie,or walleye fishing to spark the boys interest and keep them occupied.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Also locations of any nice bays with sandy areas for swimming and fun in the sun would help.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info smile.gif
Dan

I would probably head east to Namakan. Namakan generally has better fishing, but check the fishing reports before heading out.

Dusty 6 we took a 65ft with 2 fishing boats and a poontoon for 7 adults and 3 teens. It was our first time up there so Im not a expert on the fishing up there but I,ll give you some of our findings. Our best fishing was early morning and the evening. If you get a hotspot at that time its nonstop. During the day it seems youll pick up one or two in a spot and thats it. But early Morning and evening if your not getting a consistant bite move till you do.We stayed in K40 in Lost Bay and it provided our best mixed bag. One morning I couldn't sleep got up at 4:30 and fished by myself off back of houseboat and netted 4 eyes,3 Slab Crappies,2 pike and 2 perch. I also caught smallies in this spot. But this sight was rocky bottom.Top producers were Lindy rigs or just a split shot and red hook. After 2 days we moved to a small island with sandbeach called K49 Cutover View is a small island with a great front and back view and with any breze the bugs clear out. Only drawback is it's not place to be if a storm kicks up. We also stayed at K51 Cutover which was rock bottom. While at the Cutover area we only caught walleys,pike and smallies but the size of fish seemed to be better. Working the reefs with black jig heads on dark or overcast conditions and bright greens on sunny days were top producers there.Our last night we fished a small island on the N/W side of Cutover you can't miss it its the only one with a cabin and pier. Fish the N/E corner at night about 50ft off shore. We pulled up with 2 boats and had nonstop Walleye action on any rig used. Only wish we found this spot earlier. The best sandybeach area we saw was K33 Sugarbush which was taken and Ive heard is a popular sight due to the nice beach and access to good fishing spots. We caught most fish on minnows but I,ve heard letches and crawlers work better in summer months when your there.
Be prepaired for anything when your house boating. It can be like camping. We had a luxery 65ft bueaty from a repatible outfit where we heard nothing but good about. Our first 5 days were nothing but problems. We had a sticky valve on a toliet that flooded our back rooms all the guys gear got wet and capeting was soaked. Next day our engines failed and we had the Love Boat Crew on our boat for 2 days trying to fix things then diving for lost parts in the lake.Our automatic propane tanks didnt switch over so we were without hot water or cooking . They fixed that but didnt reset our 2 fridges so at midnight someone with the munchies found all our food was warm and were doing the cooler switch over and dump and toss on our food. Our first 5 days were a stress filled joke. Our last 2 days ran trouble free and it was everything we expected and was great . So just remember once you sign that waiver there problems are yours. We got some free ice and and about 5 doz minnows out of the deal but when you spend over $7,000 for the best you at least should get an apolgy or some compinsation when you pull in.
Good Luck Im sure things will go better for you. Post up and let us know how you did. Your kids will remember this trip for a lifetime.While our guys were upset I know all of us will be laughing about our trip years from now. And remember no matter what happens Don't Worry Be Happy Mann.

NPIKE77

------------------
npike77

Thanks for all of the great info Pike.Sorry you ran into so many problems with the boats.We are not on the top of the line boats,and it is pretty much a camping on boats trip for us.I own a pop-up camper and camp frequently,so I always make sure to carry a full bag of tools.We are towing 2 boats with us from home,and taking 2 others from the houseboat provider.Hopefully,whatever we encounter will provide everlasting memories for the kids.We are just hoping for good weather,great fishing,cold beverages,and fun in the sun.Thanks again for replies,and I will post a report when we return.

Thanks and Good Fishin
Dan

• 3 weeks later...

I have known Joe and Katy Ebel for over twenty years and can honestly say they are first class folks running a first class operation. I have been a friend and customer of theirs for many years and appreciate everything they have done to improve the conditions of the Ash River as well as provide a solid and constructive influence to the park. I recently returned from a houseboat trip (set up with Ebel's) and it was one of the best vacations we have ever experienced. The weather was perfect, the fish were cooperating and their service was outstanding. You must understand that during season (opener through labor day) the housebaots are turned around between occupants in a manner of hours. Joe and his staff do everything possible in a short period of time to insure their boats are in excellent condition. Hard as they try, things can a do happen. When a problem does occur Joe or his son Justin respond immediately.

Thank You Joe, Katy, Justin and the rest of the staff for making our trip an enjoyable one!

PS: I highly recommend Ebel's Voyageur Houseboats to anyone looking for a first class experience.

Rick Cole