• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

STATE RECORD BASS

2 months ago i caught the biggest fish of my life. a 8 pound 7 ounce smallmouth on lake big kandiyohi, i fought with the fish for 20 minutes before we got it in the net. The we took it to the dnr and they couldnt believe how big it was. has anyone else caught BIG smallies on kandi this year?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doubleUcubed

• Hawks

• Jim W

• EW6

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigred, Welcome to FM! Congrats on the big one!! I have fished Kandi a little over the years but not too hard. My folks live a few miles south of there and I get the chance to fish around there sometimes but not usually on Kandi....Sounds like I better spend a little more time on it!

Hey DC, whatcha know?

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Big Red --

Check with the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame to see about getting your fish listed there. In addition to the state record, you may have a line-class world record. You can call them at 715/634-4440 to request forms and info.

Super catch. Congrats.

Dark, you know some of what I know and if I told they'd have to kill me!! Hee. Hee. BIGRED, nice fish! Any pictures of it to be seen or put up somewhere on FM? Are you a local fisherman? Fish Kandi. often? Once again a great fish!!

BIGRED, could I ask what DNR office you took the fish to? I e-mailed the DNR in St. Paul and they had not heard of nor received any paper work on it?

I'll be sitting on the side of skeptic until validation! I am sure they are out there and I hope you did indeed catch it bigred!!!

Otherwise you will be forever a "marked man"LOL!!

Jim W

Cubed,

Do you think the 8.5 lb. bass was confused with one of those Jumbo Big Kandi-Bullheads? We know how big those guys get in the green swamp. Could've been a state record! Too many times I have caught my limit of 8+ lb. Bullies while trying to catch a single Walleye for supper on that lake.

The listed state record smallmouth is 8 lbs. I guess I can believe 8-7 as easily (or more easily) than the giant blue catfish which was supposedly taken in the Minnesota River early this summer.

At least we know smallmouth are present.

Hawks, you could be right about the Kandi. "Jumbo's", Seen the FIL got the dock, lift and boat out. It was a tight fit with the dock though! I hope we hear back from BIGRED in regards to his huge smallie? The smallie your FIL caught a few years ago would have been a mounter out of there. I still have to get my little dock out of the lake, sounds like warmer weather for the rest of the week! Later. Go "BOLD"!

Cubed,

The FIL has been telling me lots of fish stories this fall...I especially like the technique he used to catch and that "Jumbo" a couple weeks back. Some guys have all the luck! I look forward to hearing more about the "JAWS-like" Smallie from the big swamp. A picture would be sweet!

The Warriors are looking tough. It should be a good/cold game in Glencoe Friday night! Are ya goin?

i took it to a guy north of hutchinson, thanks for the complements. ive been fishing in the hutch wilmar area for over 25 years now and have never experienced such a thrill it was to get that fish in.

[This message has been edited by BIGRED (edited 11-15-2002).]

Are going to register it for the state record? I'd sure like to see a photo of the fish or of the mount when it's done? I imagine it was quite the battle? Did they give you an indication of the age of the fish? Just curious as I live on Kandi. and follow the events of the lake pretty closely. Without giving away any secrets any more to relate about the catch? Once again congrat's on a great fish!!

Heck a state record fish shouldn't be much of a problem getting it up on the front page of Fishing Minnesota!

We would all love to see it!

In fact, being a smallmouth fan, yo umight be my new hero!lol

Jim W

Heck a state record fish shouldn't be much of a problem getting it up on the front page of Fishing Minnesota!

We would all love to see it!

In fact, being a smallmouth fan, you might be my new hero!lol

Jim W

Couldn't we keep this "State Record" Bass a secret, or at least say it came out of Lake Lillian so "Beautiful" Big Kandi doesn't get bombarded by record-crazed fisherman?

Great catch BIGRED! Hope I didn't offend you with my earlier comments. I grew up on Big Kandi and know there are some nice fish out there. I just never thought she held a State Record type fish these days...especially a Smallie. If I were you, I'd compare your catch to winning the lottery! You're a lucky man. By the way, any advice on those Powerball #'s?

Hawks, a secret huh? Yeah that would be nice, although it would give me an opportunity to watch a bunch of boats getting on and off the lake and there are alway's a few with loading/unloading problems! I guess now we just wait to confirm the big smallie, right? Yup, she must have taken the scenic route up from Lake Lillian!! BIGRED, please don't take offense to some of what we are saying, we just like to have a little fun with the "green swamp" now and then. Let's get that baby's face on FM? Congrat's!! P.S. Hawks. Don't know about the game, would be great to watch BOLD, but I hope to go if they make it to the dome!

Nice fish. I did pretty well with the smallies out there this year. Nothing that big, but some really nice fish. I'm curious to see how the fishing is out there during the winter. I'll add to the BOLD sentiment,
GO WARRIORS! It'll be a tough game against GSL on Friday.

BIGRED, I guess I'll be the one to ask for some type of proof of the big fish. I e-mailed the DNR in St. Paul, nothing! Just called the regional office in Hutchinson, nothing! They indicated to me that nobody brought in a big bass this year! What's up? Hawks you may be right about the "Kandi. Jumbo" after all!! The saga continues? Maybe not? HMMMMMM!! Go BOLD!

Those Jumbo Bullheads can be deceiving. Could have been one of those monster Carp swimming around out there too. If it was pitch dark, BIGRED could've easily confused a 8.5 lb. Carp for a smallie? It's hard not to be skepticle of this Bass considering the fact that Kandiyohi is NOT a Smallmouth lake. The few Smallies that are out there seem to be nice-sized, but there is a big difference between "nice-sized" & "State Record sized." If we were talking about a monster Walleye, I would be more easily conviced.

Let's see a picture of this beast and put all of this talk to rest.

GO WARRIORS!

eek2.gif HOLY COW! A state record base caught out of Big Kandi?
I dont believe it.
Do you actually have proof that its a 8lb smallie other wise I probly wont believe it. I need Proof deal.gif

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 11-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 11-07-2002).]

Just keeping this alive. Inquiring minds want to know!! Hawks, I would have to agree with the "big eye" being more believable at this point. GO BOLD "WARRIORS"!!!!

WELL I HAVE READ ENOUGH I CAN READ ABOUT SOME OF THE CRAP YOU PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IN HERE. TALK TO JIM, OUT IN THE COUNTRY OF HUTCHINSON. I BROUGHT IN THE FISH TO HIM, AND FILLED OUT THE PAPERWORK AND GAVE IT TO HIM, HE SHOULD HAVE WHAT YOU ALL ARE LOOKING FOR! I TOOK LIKE 20 PICTS OF IT SO I COULD SHOW YOU IF YOUR IN THE AREA. OBVIOUSLY HAWKS IS NOT A PRO FISHERMAN, HE CONFUSES SMALLIES WITH CRAP AND DULLHOOKS, I THINK HE BETTER READ MORE INTO THAT HOW TO BE A PRO FISHERMAN BOOK.

[This message has been edited by BIGRED (edited 11-15-2002).]

WELL I HAVE READ ENOUGH I CAN READ ABOUT SOME OF THE CRAP YOU PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IN HERE. TALK TO JIM, "THE GAME WARDEN" OUT IN THE COUNTRY OF HUTCHINSON. I BROUGHT IN THE FISH TO HIM, AND FILLED OUT THE PAPERWORK AND GAVE IT TO HIM, HE SHOULD HAVE WHAT YOU ALL ARE LOOKING FOR! I TOOK LIKE 20 PICTS OF IT SO I COULD SHOW YOU IF YOUR IN THE AREA. OBVIOUSLY HAWKS IS NOT A PRO FISHERMAN, HE CONFUSES SMALLIES WITH CRAP AND DULLHOOKS, I THINK HE BETTER READ MORE INTO THAT HOW TO BE A PRO FISHERMAN BOOK.

BIGRED, if this is the case I will be the first to apologize to you. I know Hawks and he is a very good guy and I'm sure you will hear from him too. I hope you will share some of the photo's with the other members of the FM community? It would be great to see that fish, heck it's probably broken a line or two of mine off over the years? Is Jim the "new" guy we would have around Kandi.? If so I have met him and he is a really nice guy. I hope to see ya around sometime on Kandi. Just ask at Park #2 for doubleUcubed and they can steer you in the right direction!

Bigred,

I would like to add to DoubleU and Hawks comments.

In the past there have been several claims and, they were from very new "faces" to the forums. Beyond natural "get to know you" time frames, a claim to a long held record is a very big claim indeed. I too need verification, since smallies are held close to my heart!

Plus, I've always thought that I would be the next record holder.lol And you shattered my dream!lol

Being new to the forum simply added to the level of skepticism, but I can say that for the most part people were very nice about their skepticism. The carp comment might have taken it a tad too far.

Anyway, I will believe until proven wrong. Innocent until proven guilty, so to speak!

We are glad to have another fish hound on board! Welcome, and keep the info coming n!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Bigred,
Can you post a pick of it on the site for us to see b/c that smallies has to be huge. Congrats on the catch. WOW i sill cant belive you caught that big of smallie out of Big Kandi, b/f some one caught one out of Green. Good Catch.

GO RAIDERS!!!!!!

------------------
Go Raiders!!!!!

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 11-08-2002).]

BIGRED,

You are right, I am definitely NOT a pro fisherman. Not even close.

I apologize that you took my sarcasm personally, that was not my intention. I am simply astonished by the fact that you caught an 8.5 lb. Small Mouth Bass on Big Kandiyohi. I grew up on that lake and have honestly fished it every summer for 20+ years. DOUBLEUCUBED has probably fished it for 35-40 years. Since the biggest Small Mouth I have ever caught on Kandi was around 3 lbs.(Caught by accident, left minnow dangling from pole while out water-skiing) I am awestruck at your amazing fish, maybe even jealous?

But I have congratualated you and let you know how lucky I think you are. I understand you are new to the FM Family and sincerely welcome you! It's not often a new member joins with a story like yours, we should be asking you for advice. Here's my advice to you for next time. If you catch another monster, post your good news with a picture. This evidence will put the skeptics to rest fast.

Again, congratulations on your new state record! Simply amazing. I hope I run into you on Big Kandi sometime so you can show me where the "big ones" hang out.

Have a nice weekend!

GO BOLD WARRIORS!

Well, this afternoon I had the opportunity to check with the local game warden for the Big Kandi. area. I asked if he had heard of or seen a big smallmouth bass. No! He had not seen one and was surprised that such a fish would have come out of Big Kandiyohi and he had not heard of it? Enough for now, I have to get my dock out!!!